Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Non ship model thread - stations, asteroids, etc

  1. #1

    Default Non ship model thread - stations, asteroids, etc

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190213_175036.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	262841

    Asteroid field using waste low density polyethylene (LDPE) packing foam, cut with scissors, and spray painted.

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Default

    Ejected pilot (unpainted) for SAR missions.

    N scale seated model railway passenger, some styrene ribbon, black hex flight stand.

    Model is unpainted.




  4. #4

    Default

    Excellent idea, Zoe!

    Please post pictures of the painted model when finished.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Ejected pilot (unpainted) for SAR missions.

    N scale seated model railway passenger, some styrene ribbon, black hex flight stand.

    Model is unpainted.



    This would be good for the SAR Raptor. Great idea, Zoe!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  6. #6

    Default

    As discussed with Andrea, preliminary rules for SAR:

    1. Pilot is assumed to eject unless killed by 2 hits to crew.
    2. Ejection stand or marker moves at same KE and speed as Viper had when destroyed, in a straight line.
    3 To pick up, Raptor must be in base contact, same KE and speed, course within 30 degrees (firing arc is 30 degrees).

    This means that ejection when doing an overboost will probably need the Raptor to FTL well ahead, then match velocity and position.. This is deliberate, and makes a good game in its own right.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    As discussed with Andrea, preliminary rules for SAR:

    1. Pilot is assumed to eject unless killed by 2 hits to crew.
    2. Ejection stand or marker moves at same KE and speed as Viper had when destroyed, in a straight line.
    3 To pick up, Raptor must be in base contact, same KE and speed, course within 30 degrees (firing arc is 30 degrees).

    This means that ejection when doing an overboost will probably need the Raptor to FTL well ahead, then match velocity and position.. This is deliberate, and makes a good game in its own right.
    I can see making the pilot stand with one of those little LED blinking lights (Tweenies earrings); it would make such a sight on the game matt!

    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I can see making the pilot stand with one of those little LED blinking lights (Tweenies earrings); it would make such a sight on the game matt!

    Karl
    Now there's a challenge I'm up for. Don't hold your breath but next Origins it will be there.

  9. #9

    Default

    Rescue Beacon



    Flashing LED fashion earings on a standard black hex stand.

  10. #10

    matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Matt
    Location
    Ohio
    Sorties Flown
    4,108
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default

    Definitely a cool idea, Zoe - Peter, if anyone can do it, you certainly can! It would be a great game scenario for Origins next year. And I think I am going to be making some asteroids myself to make things a bit more interesting...

    All the best,
    Matt

  11. #11

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190917_190800.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	274942

    Ballpoint pen that had run out, pipe cleaner, and a ubiquitous black plastic hex base.

    Now to make a set of rules for missiles...

  12. #12

    matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Matt
    Location
    Ohio
    Sorties Flown
    4,108
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default

    Bought a set of N Gauge people 'in the park' - several walking/standing and several seated!! Time to break out the plastic card stock and make some ejection seats...

    All the best,
    Matt

  13. #13

    Default

    Official - well, they're on the Ares site - rules for Search and Rescue, ejection and so on are at https://www.aresgames.eu/24385

    Rules for recovering ejected pilots

    Raptor must match course within 30 degrees (ie within a firing arc) and KE of ejectee, and be in base contact.
    Ejected pilots move using the drift template, according to their KE, twice a turn, once when overboosts are played, once when other cards are played. Use the KE and direction of movement of the Viper when it was KO'd. A KE of -1, 0 or 1 means no movement.
    Only Raptors without extra gear cards (armament) can recover ejectees - only they have the internal room, and adding weapons makes them too unmaneuverable for rescues to be practicable.
    _________________________________________________________

    Pilots with 1 wound have to be rescued quickly (suggest 6 turns)
    Pilots with 2 wounds cannot eject, but a Raptor can rendezvous with the Viper and extract them.
    Pilots with 3 wounds are dead

  14. #14

    Default

    While I have my own set of asteroids made that I need to share, a new DIY asteroid idea occurred to me this morning. The YouTube channel Crooked Staff Terrain does a bunch of tiles and terrain for role-playing games by creating and printing textures (tiles. rock, wood, etc.) onto paper and cardboard. While I don't play any RPGs, I find terrain crafting videos really interesting.

    On to my point, this crafter has posted his texture files on the DriveThruRPG website as a pay-what-you-want download. If you are looking to make some quick, easy, or light-weight 3D (or 2D) asteroids, you may be interested in his cave tile texture at this link. There are four textures in the pdf file: gridded and gridless rock and gridded and gridless water (and a page of doors). With some paper or cardstock, scissors, glue, and maybe toothpicks or dollar store foam board, a quick set of asteroids could be made in an afternoon from the gridless rock texture. If you're interested, there is also a YouTube video showing his technique on the linked page.

  15. #15

    Default

    Thank you for telling us about this, Scott.

    Here is a link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW6P...BkPwB&index=12

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for telling us about this, Scott.

    Here is a link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW6P...BkPwB&index=12
    Thanks Naharaht.

    Here is a link to a video where he makes a rock using texture and some foam. He makes a number or other items, too, so work on the rock starts at the five-minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m72JQ5JZTKk

  17. #17

    Default

    Wrecked spacecraft.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191223_195009.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	279657

    No, no models were harmed to make them. These are manufactured deliberately distressed (so they can't be used as genuine models) resin casts, that have been further broken, had holes drilled in, etc. Useful as terrain, or to mark kills for SAR missions.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Wrecked spacecraft.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191223_195009.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	279657

    No, no models were harmed to make them. These are manufactured deliberately distressed (so they can't be used as genuine models) resin casts, that have been further broken, had holes drilled in, etc. Useful as terrain, or to mark kills for SAR missions.
    These will be great slowly drifting across the battlespace.

  19. #19

    matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Matt
    Location
    Ohio
    Sorties Flown
    4,108
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default

    Those look great, Zoe! Who manufactures them, or are they home-made?

    All the best,
    Matt

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Wrecked spacecraft.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191223_195009.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	279657

    No, no models were harmed to make them. These are manufactured deliberately distressed (so they can't be used as genuine models) resin casts, that have been further broken, had holes drilled in, etc. Useful as terrain, or to mark kills for SAR missions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    These will be great slowly drifting across the battlespace.
    Hmmm... Having just played a game where an orbiting planetoid took out two ships, I can see these carreening about the mat, causing havoc. The scenario, "Looking for Water" have the wandering planetoid rules that could be used for such debris.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59



Similar Missions

  1. WGSF Battle stations! (or targets)
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2014, 02:24
  2. WSF Clipper's Ship Comes In!
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 01:50
  3. Paper model to resin model
    By pbhawkin in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 16:17
  4. Top Down Ship art
    By Charlie3 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 00:53
  5. Multiplayer: Return to the Ship
    By afilter in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 10:42

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •