Ares Games

Thread: DAS BOOT

Default DAS BOOT

Anyone been watching the new series of Das Boot?
    Started a few days ago with some trepidation given the brilliance of the original. Think I was hooked after about 15 seconds.... the opening aerial shot of a surfacing u-boat was breathtaking. I was then praying that that all the German crew weren’t actually American or that the show had been dubbed into english (something I detest... a show/film only works properly if broadcast in the language it was made in)... when the subtitles came up I could have shouted in joy. From that point on... utterly brilliant. DO NOT MISS THIS

one binge watch later and am on final episode.

Oh and there is a Sunderland flying boat about 45 seconds in......

There is also clever and subtle use of the original theme tune as well.... again brilliant

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Just checked it out on Wikipedia, Chris - was unaware that such a beastie existed! As a fan of the book and the original movie, I'm excited to hear this news. Now I will have to look on my available options for TV viewing and hope that the series is already available here in the States. I saw the original movie in German when it came out - absolutely marvelous - in German in a little art theater in our area. I agree with your stand on dubbed versus original language, too...

Thanks for the heads-up!

All the best,
    Matt

Am recording it and will probably binge watch when all done. It will have to be good to compare with thee origin

I never knew that anyone had turned it into a series. Will have to go looking for it. Thanks for the heads-up.

What channell is it on ? or is it Netfix et al

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thank you for telling us about it, Chris. It is a pity that it is only available on Sky at the moment.

The 1981 original was a TV mini series in original format that was then cut into a cinema release which attracted Six academy award nominations and the BAFTA for best foreign language film.

A second series was approved in December 2018 so can’t wait for that

If there is going to be a second series, then the first series cannot end like the original story.

It's not a reworking of the original it's a genuine sequel. Takes place six months after end of original series

Well, I was very happy to see this series advertised, unfortunately after watching I was somewhat dissapointed.
    I have the original and read the book Das Boot but not the sevond book which I believe this series is slso based on.
    Yes the battle secene at the begining with the Sunderland and the loss due to depth charge and American destroyers was good, the scenes with the sub are also good BUT.
    For me the series may as well have been called Das La Rochelle not Das Boot, A lot of the action/ story is based around a resistance cell based in the area and the inter actions between this cell, the local gestapo and a family member of a pressed member of the crew. Also personally getting really tired of seeing same sex canoodleing which for me had little to do with the storyline, in my opinion that is.
    I will not spoil the series by going over some other issues , just be aware that this series is not all about the submarine.
    The acting is good and most of the characters are also well portrayed just think for a series called Das Boot it should be concentrating on the submarine.
    If you can get hold of the original mini series or directors cut film.

Fair point about the resistance storyline, but with this being a sequel rather than a reworking of the original there needed to be something more than another submarine mission. The original mini series was approx. 4hrs (cinema release about half of that) so to cover the 8 hrs running time this time around I guess the producers etc thought they needed multiple story arcs.

Loved it.... roll on next series

Where did you find out this is a sequell Chris?

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Where did you find out this is a sequell Chris?
    One of the websites.. either IMDB or something similar

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

After doing some looking yesterday, I think it may be coming to Hulu here in the States...not sure the timeline, though.

All the best,
    Matt

the ending on the movie was tragic and sad

It was totally shocking I agree - ending this time around does look good for a second series though

I will have to check it out

Similar Missions

1. A nice SE5a pic to celebrate the quick re boot of the Forum!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-22-2018, 12:00
  2. U-boot The Board Game on KS
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-12-2018, 21:33
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 08:17
  4. Amazing what turns up at boot sales...
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 18:11