Ares Games

Thread: Ask the EXPERTS!

Default Ask the EXPERTS!

How's that for a new thread title? You are all a great source of info, so here's a picture of a U.S. uniform hat, I have no idea where it came from or rank, since my family is all Navy it has no history for me, but some one has the answer! Should be worth some REP to find out, Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190207_181120.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	262493

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Looks like a standard Army officers hat, David - 2nd Lt to Captain - but the silver badge and chinstrap seem wrong. Those I had contact with had gold badges and chinstraps.

Good luck with the hunt!
    All the best,
    Matt

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Just had a thought...it could be an Army hat that someone put USAF eagle and chinstrap on...

All the best,
    Matt

Might check your monitor, both are gold, not silver . . .

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Okay,,,very light gold on my monitor...that makes it an Army officer's 'saucer' cap for a 2nd Lieutenant, 1st Lieutenant, or a Captain. Major and higher have 'scrambled eggs' on the hat brim...

Thanks for setting me straight!

All the best,
    Matt

Rats! I can't give you REP which you deserve, next time!

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Just had a thought...it could be an Army hat that someone put USAF eagle and chinstrap on...

All the best,
    Matt
    Or, from the era right after the AF was split out in 47. There was a uniform transition time period.

That's what we called a SAUCER HAT or the nick name was a Bus Drivers hat. It is an officers hat. As a person who keeps everything here is a photo of the one I was issued when I joined the Army in 1970.

Name:	0208191658.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	262616

Name:	0208191658b.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	262617

As you can see being enlisted the band is black and the piece on the front is a disk but is the same eagle. Yours looks to be green like mine so must be from the 60's. I might need to get some Brasso to clean up the disk. Kind of surprised that it being 49 years old it is still in good shape.

Matt you should have one of these.

hat, service, officers, m1956.
    if you carefully turn the leather sweatband out there should be a date stamped inside.

For mine the tag has the FSN so I guess you could look it up that way. Not sure when we went to the Green uniform as that is what I was issued and wore until I retired. Things changed a few years before I joined such as we wore our rank pinned on the collar rather then on the sleeve when in fatigues and we were just switching over to subdued unit patches. I still have a Khaki uniform with SP5 stripes on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    For mine the tag has the FSN so I guess you could look it up that way. Not sure when we went to the Green uniform as that is what I was issued and wore until I retired. Things changed a few years before I joined such as we wore our rank pinned on the collar rather then on the sleeve when in fatigues and we were just switching over to subdued unit patches. I still have a Khaki uniform with SP5 stripes on it.

1956 was when the forest green was adopted.

Thanks for that info. Next year they are getting a new dress uniform which looks like the WWII uniform. They are also getting a new "fatigue" uniform called the ASU, All Service Uniform. I wore OD green fatigues, jungle fatigues and BDU's but the Army had a few different fatigues when BDU's went away. Being retired I can use clothing sales but can't buy any current fatigue uniform. I was able to buy ASU pants for my nephew at Christmas since they are phasing that uniform out. I still have the set of jungle fatigues I wore when I went up for E-5 in Viet Nam.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Thanks for that info. Next year they are getting a new dress uniform which looks like the WWII uniform. They are also getting a new "fatigue" uniform called the ASU, All Service Uniform. I wore OD green fatigues, jungle fatigues and BDU's but the Army had a few different fatigues when BDU's went away. Being retired I can use clothing sales but can't buy any current fatigue uniform. I was able to buy ASU pants for my nephew at Christmas since they are phasing that uniform out. I still have the set of jungle fatigues I wore when I went up for E-5 in Viet Nam.

youe welcome. yeah, ive seen pics of the new uniforms. as a collector of ww2 stuff i think its pretty cool. yeah, the whole surplus market seems to have dried up for the most part with many surplus stores closing.

and thank you for your service!!!

Can't wait to see what it looks like when I go on post.

Similar Missions

1. Site: Any Facebook experts out there?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-17-2011, 04:47