Ares Games

Thread: I wonder what ...... ?

Default I wonder what ...... ?

When the game is delivered I wonder what the rivet counters are going to complain about???

Can you imagine .... The second tentacle on the left is too short .... or the middle leg is a bit thin .... I have already started this ball rolling by criticizing the pink color of a members home made Martian in another thread. What do you think?

I am sure they will find something.

Late to the party, Gary.

I've already been bitching that they went with solid black stands, not clear. Very disappointed with that decision, being that I went through lots of trouble producing clear stands for my prototype play-test set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161030_075149.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	262491
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Mike that is worthy of being in the flight stand spot in the Aerodrome store. Very nice indeed.

For more info:
    Tripods & Triplanes - An invasion from Mars - Post 63
    How to Customize Aftermarket Airplane Stands - Post 47

Gary, I think Keith is looking into doing "custom" stands for Tripods, perhaps. However, the Tripods come with different sized feet and positioning on the stands, so it might be a tad difficult for the set-up and cutting. We'll see when we get the production products in hand. I'll give him all my graphic work to use, if he wants it.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Another source for T & T Martians?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Martian.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	262666

I preferred "My Mother the Car" . . . . . what was scary was "The Invaders" . . .

What was scarier was “The Ugliest Girl in Town”

Solid black stands!!! Whose brilliant idea was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Solid black stands!!! Whose brilliant idea was that?
    Someone that doesn't play games, obviously.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I would bet that the 'solid black stand' is a cost/production issue - cheaper and easier to slap a decal/transfer/sticker on than a clear base would be, especially since there is more 'information' on the Martian bases. Looking at the bases for our WWI and WWII planes, they are much 'nicer' than a black base with a sticker applied would be. Granted, the clear base edge is a pain to pick up sometimes, but that is another story...The solid black base makes overlaps a bit trickier, too, when you have to replace a plane with its card. I don't remember if the promo set I used last year at Origins had cards for the tripods...I don't think it did, but perhaps the final game will have them. Putting down a tripod card when you overlap would be the better way to go, certainly, with a tripod with a solid base.

Perhaps all of this will lead to Keith making after-market bases for the tripods, as you mention, Mike. I could certainly see replacing black with clear, even if I have to color the symbols on the base myself (which I have to do with any base I purchase from Keith). Attaching the tripod to an after-market AA base could be an issue, depending on the adhesive you were to use. Plexi can soemtimes be interesting to glue/bond to...but I bet Keith's peg glue might fill the bill...

Lots to think about as we anticipate (eagerly, in my case) the advent of Tripods and Triplanes!

All the best,
    Matt