Ares Games

Thread: AAR Midway Rising: Scenario 2: Find the Flat Tops!

Default AAR Midway Rising: Scenario 2: Find the Flat Tops!

Both the IJN and the USN have launched combat air patrols to try to find the enemy carrier forces. In this scenario, three Zeros (on AI) encounter 2 Wildcats while all are on CAP. The goal is to prevent the opposition from being the last plane in the air and locating the opposition carrier.

The Opposing Forces

IJN

Three Zeros on AI -- I will refer to them in the AAR by their distinguishing characteristic: Red Stripe Zero, Black Stripe Zero, Camo Zero.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	262295

USN

Two Wildcats manned as follows: Wildcat F-3 (fuselage number) piloted by LTjg Garry Hughes (2.333 campaign victories so far) and Wildcat F-4 piloted by LTjg John Saunders (1.0 victories so far).

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	262296

Turns 1 & 2

Upon sighting each other the squadrons approach to do battle. On turn 2 Camo Zero and Wildcat 3 exchange long range shots as dogfight begins. Zero takes "0" damage points, Wildcat 3 takes 3 points.

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	262297

Turns 3 & 4

Turn 3 -- the Wildcats bank left, the Zeros disperse. Wildcats 3 & 4 fire long range (just out of short range) on Red Stripe Zero who returns fire on Wildcat 3. Red Stripe Zero takes 6 points while Wildcat 3 takes 0 points. Turn 4 -- all planes pass each other in preparation for Immelmann maneuvers.

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 4.jpg 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	262298

Turns 5 & 6

Turn 5 -- All planes Immelmann. Wildcat 4 and Red Stripe Zero exchange long range fire inflicting 3 points on each plane

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 5.jpg 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	262299

Turn 6 -- Wildcats bank left. Wildcat 3 fires at close range on Red Stripe Zero causing 4 damage points plus smoke.

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 6.jpg 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	262302

Turns 7 & 8

Turn 7 -- Wildcats continue to bank left. Camo Zero and Red Stripe Zero bank right. Black Stripe Zero banks left. Wildcat 3 and Black Stripe Zero exchange short range fire causing 3 damage points on each plane. Turn 8 -- Black Stripe Zero and both Wildcats go straight in preparation for Immelmanns, Camo Zero and Red Stripe Zero bank right.

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 7.jpg 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	262303

Turns 9 & 10

Turn 9 -- Wildcats and Red Stripe Zero Immelmann, Black Stripe Zero banks right, Camo Zero goes straight. Camo Zero and Black Stripe Zero flying in close formation both fire long range on Wildcat 3 who returns fire on Black Stripe Zero. Wildcat 3 takes 11 points of damage plus rudder damage and is shot down. Black Stripe Zero receives 1 damage point. Wildcat 3 pilot Garry Hughes rolls a 2 plus 1 for veteran status on the shot down table for the campaign and is KIA. At this point (I'm embarrassed to say) I got so excited by the goings on that I failed to take a picture of this key juncture in the fight (sorry!). Turn 10 -- Red Stripe Zero banks right, other Zeros go straight. Wildcat 4 banks right and fires on Black Stripe Zero who returns fire. Zero takes 1 point damage plus left rudder damage. Wildcat 4 takes 1 point damage.

Turns 11 & 12

Turn 11 -- Wildcat 4 banks right, Camo and Black Stripe Zero Immelmann, Red Stripe Zero banks right. Close range fire by Wildcat 4 on Black Stripe Zero causing 6 points damage and right rudder damage (now it can only fly straight!). Turn 12 -- Camo Zero and Black Stripe Zero go straight, Red Stripe Zero banks left, Wildcat 4 goes straight and fires close range on Red Stripe Zero scoring 4 damage points and shooting him down (Saunders 2nd victory of the campaign).

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 8.jpg 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	262305

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 9.jpg 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	262306

Turns 13 & 14

Turn 13 -- Wildcat 4 flies straight, Camo Zero Immelmanns, Black Zero flies straight. Camo Zero takes long range shot on Wildcat 4 and misses!

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 10.jpg 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	262307

Turn 14 -- Wildcat 4 Immelmanns, Camo Zero and Black Stripe Zero fly straight (Black Stripe Zero rudder damage cleared). Wildcat 4 puts 2 damage points on Camo Zero.

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 11.jpg 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	262309

Turns 15 & 16

Turn 15 -- Both Zeros Immelmann, Wildcat 4 flies straight. Wildcat 4 fires at short range inflicting 6 points damage plus engine damage. Turn 16 -- Zeros fly straight, Wildcat 4 banks right and fires close range on Camo Zero inflicting 11 points of damage and shooting him down.

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 12.jpg 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	262310

Turn 17

Wildcat 4 continues to bank right, Black Stripe Zero banks right as well. Both exchange short range shots. Wildcat 4 takes 10 points of damage but is still in the air! Black Stripe Zero takes 5 points and is shot down (Saunders 3rd kill of the mission, and 4th overall) thus clearing the skies and preventing the superior number of IJN forces from finding the carrier.

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 13.jpg 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	262311

Butcher's Bill:

IJN:

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 15.jpg 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	262316

USN:

Name:	Midway Rising Find the Flat tops 14.jpg 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	262317

Discussion

LTjg Saunders records 3 victories on the mission and defeats 3 IJN planes single-handed, preventing the IJN CAP from finding his carrier. Furthermore, he keeps his badly damaged plane in the air and returns it to safety for repairs. For actions above and beyond the call of duty, LTjg is recommended for the Distinguished Flying Cross.

LTjg Hughes is posthumously awarded the Air Medal (usually given after 5 combat missions) and the Purple Heart. His final rack is as follows:

Name:	Midway risng - Purple Heart.jpg 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	262315

Name:	Midway rising - Air Medal.jpg 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	262312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midway rising - Asia Pacific Medal.jpg 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	262313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midway rising - American Campaign Medal.jpg 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	262314

I thought it looked pretty bad for the U.S. when Hughes was shot down and killed. Saunders really went above and beyond the call, although I must admit that the AI made some very U.S. friendly moves as IJN planes turned into the field of fire of Saunders plane.

On the campaign replacement table I rolled a 3 so the pilot will arrive in time for the next mission, and then I rolled a 4 so the pilot has regular status. The new pilot will be LTjg William ("Billy") Sims.

I REALLY enjoyed playing this scenario!
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 02-04-2019 at 18:23.

Nicely flown! Ltjg Saunders was amazing! Quite the sortie! I hope you are inspiring me to continue my own campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    Nicely flown! Ltjg Saunders was amazing! Quite the sortie! I hope you are inspiring me to continue my own campaign.
    Thanks!

Similar Missions

1. BRF Scenario 9: Find the Flat Tops!
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2016, 01:28
  2. AAR: MIdway Rising: Scenario 2: Find the Flat Tops!
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 19:42
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-13-2013, 14:20
  4. Scenario 2: Find the Flat Tops!
    By Marechallannes in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 23:38