Ares Games

Thread: HMS Thunder Child

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default HMS Thunder Child

Neil's manufacture of his Martian war machines and the wonderful scenario he and Chris ran at Vapnartak caused me to do some looking in a specific direction...and look what I found...

http://kansascitykitcompany.com/expl...s-thunderchild

Those of you with access to a 3D printer might investigate this - it looks pretty darned cool, if you ask me It almost looks to be in a 'right' scale for gaming purposes, to judge by the size of it in the fellow's hand...and it is evidently available to download - check the bottom of the article for the link. I could certainly see getting one for gaming

All the best,
    Matt

Very, very, cool!!! I need a few . . . 6 hours to print, hmmmm . . . thinking 2 tops with the elves parallel build for 4 . . . Now for some drawings . . . .

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

And then I just found this little beauty...who knew they were out there? But I guess a cleverer person than I would have surmised there would be something on Shapeways...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NW...li=marketplace

All the best,
    Matt

They have a cute tripod too both rather small . . . The elves are wondering what scale/size . . .

The first one with side-by-side turrets reminds me of a couple Spanish ships from the Spanish-American war.
    The other one is quite cost effective, though a bit more generic. Has anyone micced out the Tripods to guess their scale?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Maybe something along this style my son Michael builds

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1549294146246.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	262285

Name:	FB_IMG_1548815156620.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	262286

So at 1/144" scale , the ship at 230' long would be around 20" long, 1/200" scale 14.4" I rather like 1:1 scale with carriers, zeppelins and ships (oh My!)

. . . what about you out there?

The scale of the Martians needs to be determined as well, Ares are 10 - 7 cm tall so check my maths here, a 4" tall Martian in 1/144" scale means it is 48' tall in real life, and at 1/200" scale is 66.6' tall?

I must admit the tall red guys on the game table look very dangerous! My Mars Peeps stood 6" tall and I used 1/144" planes . . .

Name:	20190204_175111_resized.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	262300

Name:	20190204_175155_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	262301

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

A 20-inch long Thunderchild would be spectacular, Dave The destroyer I purchased from you a while back is lovely and looks great on a game table - I am planning on using it at Origins this year in a game...

I do like the size of the one that I originally posted in the fellow's hand - it would look lovely on a game table, too. The Shapeways one is a tad small, but I could see maybe using several as part of a battle.

All the best,
    Matt

Here is a photograph of H.M.S. Polyphemus in dry dock in Malta 1881. It clearly shows the ram.

Name:	Polyphemus_in_drydock_Malta_3.jpg 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	262323

Here is a photograph of her at sea.

Name:	HMS_Polyphemus_(1881).jpg 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	262324

According to the Wikipedia article she did not carry any big guns. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Polyphemus_(1881)

My two tripods stand 12.5 inches high mounted on a 6 inch square base.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    So at 1/144" scale , the ship at 230' long would be around 20" long, 1/200" scale 14.4" I rather like 1:1 scale with carriers, zeppelins and ships (oh My!)

. . . what about you out there?

The scale of the Martians needs to be determined as well, Ares are 10 - 7 cm tall so check my maths here, a 4" tall Martian in 1/144" scale means it is 48' tall in real life, and at 1/200" scale is 66.6' tall?

I must admit the tall red guys on the game table look very dangerous! My Mars Peeps stood 6" tall and I used 1/144" planes . . .

Name:	20190204_175111_resized.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	262300

Name:	20190204_175155_resized_1.jpg 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	262301
    See you on the Dark Side......

That is one amazing model.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Neil's manufacture of his Martian war machines and the wonderful scenario he and Chris ran at Vapnartak caused me to do some looking in a specific direction...and look what I found...

http://kansascitykitcompany.com/expl...s-thunderchild

Those of you with access to a 3D printer might investigate this - it looks pretty darned cool, if you ask me It almost looks to be in a 'right' scale for gaming purposes, to judge by the size of it in the fellow's hand...and it is evidently available to download - check the bottom of the article for the link. I could certainly see getting one for gaming

All the best,
    Matt
    See you on the Dark Side......

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I shall just put this out there, then...if anyone is planning on 3D printing a copy of the Thunderchild from the link I posted, I would be happy to pay for a copy myself to have and use...

All the best,
    Matt
    Last edited by matt56; 02-06-2019 at 02:42.

Here is the Polyphmus at 20" long, 1/144" scale, now to blend it with the deck details of the Thunder Child . . .

Name:	20190205_224151.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	262391

About a couple of miles out lay an ironclad, very low in the water, almost, to my brother’s perception, like a water-logged ship. This was the ram Thunder Child. It was the only warship in sight, but far away to the right over the smooth surface of the sea—for that day there was a dead calm—lay a serpent of black smoke to mark the next ironclads of the Channel Fleet, which hovered in an extended line, steam up and ready for action, across the Thames estuary during the course of the Martian conquest, vigilant and yet powerless to prevent it.
    He sprang to his feet and saw to starboard, and not a hundred yards from their heeling, pitching boat, a vast iron bulk like the blade of a plough tearing through the water, tossing it on either side in huge waves of foam that leaped towards the steamer, flinging her paddles helplessly in the air, and then sucking her deck down almost to the waterline.

A douche of spray blinded my brother for a moment. When his eyes were clear again he saw the monster had passed and was rushing landward. Big iron upperworks rose out of this headlong structure, and from that twin funnels projected and spat a smoking blast shot with fire. It was the torpedo ram, Thunder Child, steaming headlong, coming to the rescue of the threatened shipping.

Keeping his footing on the heaving deck by clutching the bulwarks, my brother looked past this charging leviathan at the Martians again, and he saw the three of them now close together, and standing so far out to sea that their tripod supports were almost entirely submerged. Thus sunken, and seen in remote perspective, they appeared far less formidable than the huge iron bulk in whose wake the steamer was pitching so helplessly. It would seem they were regarding this new antagonist with astonishment. To their intelligence, it may be, the giant was even such another as themselves. The Thunder Child fired no gun, but simply drove full speed towards them. It was probably her not firing that enabled her to get so near the enemy as she did. They did not know what to make of her. One shell, and they would have sent her to the bottom forthwith with the Heat-Ray.

She was steaming at such a pace that in a minute she seemed halfway between the steamboat and the Martians—a diminishing black bulk against the receding horizontal expanse of the Essex coast.

Suddenly the foremost Martian lowered his tube and discharged a canister of the black gas at the ironclad. It hit her larboard side and glanced off in an inky jet that rolled away to seaward, an unfolding torrent of Black Smoke, from which the ironclad drove clear. To the watchers from the steamer, low in the water and with the sun in their eyes, it seemed as though she were already among the Martians.

They saw the gaunt figures separating and rising out of the water as they retreated shoreward, and one of them raised the camera-like generator of the Heat-Ray. He held it pointing obliquely downward, and a bank of steam sprang from the water at its touch. It must have driven through the iron of the ship’s side like a white-hot iron rod through paper.

A flicker of flame went up through the rising steam, and then the Martian reeled and staggered. In another moment he was cut down, and a great body of water and steam shot high in the air. The guns of the Thunder Child sounded through the reek, going off one after the other, and one shot splashed the water high close by the steamer, ricocheted towards the other flying ships to the north, and smashed a smack to matchwood.

But no one heeded that very much. At the sight of the Martian’s collapse the captain on the bridge yelled inarticulately, and all the crowding passengers on the steamer’s stern shouted together. And then they yelled again. For, surging out beyond the white tumult, drove something long and black, the flames streaming from its middle parts, its ventilators and funnels spouting fire.

She was alive still; the steering gear, it seems, was intact and her engines working. She headed straight for a second Martian, and was within a hundred yards of him when the Heat-Ray came to bear. Then with a violent thud, a blinding flash, her decks, her funnels, leaped upward. The Martian staggered with the violence of her explosion, and in another moment the flaming wreckage, still driving forward with the impetus of its pace, had struck him and crumpled him up like a thing of cardboard. My brother shouted involuntarily. A boiling tumult of steam hid everything again.

“Two!” yelled the captain..
    From wiki
    The only version to feature Thunder Child directly is the low-budget, direct-to-DVD Pendragon adaptation, released in 2005. This version uses poorly executed CGI to portray Thunder Child as a Havock-class destroyer; it reverses the order of the ship's attack, using its guns first before successfully ramming in both cases. The vessel eventually sinks from heat ray battle damage. This reversed order of attack mirrors that of Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds.
    For 1918, a Havock class torpedo boat destroyer would be appropriate.

About a couple of miles out lay an ironclad, very low in the water, almost, to my brother’s perception, like a water-logged ship. This was the ram Thunder Child. It was the only warship in sight, but far away to the right over the smooth surface of the sea—for that day there was a dead calm—lay a serpent of black smoke to mark the next ironclads of the Channel Fleet, which hovered in an extended line, steam up and ready for action, across the Thames estuary during the course of the Martian conquest, vigilant and yet powerless to prevent it.
    He sprang to his feet and saw to starboard, and not a hundred yards from their heeling, pitching boat, a vast iron bulk like the blade of a plough tearing through the water, tossing it on either side in huge waves of foam that leaped towards the steamer, flinging her paddles helplessly in the air, and then sucking her deck down almost to the waterline.

A douche of spray blinded my brother for a moment. When his eyes were clear again he saw the monster had passed and was rushing landward. Big iron upperworks rose out of this headlong structure, and from that twin funnels projected and spat a smoking blast shot with fire. It was the torpedo ram, Thunder Child, steaming headlong, coming to the rescue of the threatened shipping.

Keeping his footing on the heaving deck by clutching the bulwarks, my brother looked past this charging leviathan at the Martians again, and he saw the three of them now close together, and standing so far out to sea that their tripod supports were almost entirely submerged. Thus sunken, and seen in remote perspective, they appeared far less formidable than the huge iron bulk in whose wake the steamer was pitching so helplessly. It would seem they were regarding this new antagonist with astonishment. To their intelligence, it may be, the giant was even such another as themselves. The Thunder Child fired no gun, but simply drove full speed towards them. It was probably her not firing that enabled her to get so near the enemy as she did. They did not know what to make of her. One shell, and they would have sent her to the bottom forthwith with the Heat-Ray.

She was steaming at such a pace that in a minute she seemed halfway between the steamboat and the Martians—a diminishing black bulk against the receding horizontal expanse of the Essex coast.

Suddenly the foremost Martian lowered his tube and discharged a canister of the black gas at the ironclad. It hit her larboard side and glanced off in an inky jet that rolled away to seaward, an unfolding torrent of Black Smoke, from which the ironclad drove clear. To the watchers from the steamer, low in the water and with the sun in their eyes, it seemed as though she were already among the Martians.

They saw the gaunt figures separating and rising out of the water as they retreated shoreward, and one of them raised the camera-like generator of the Heat-Ray. He held it pointing obliquely downward, and a bank of steam sprang from the water at its touch. It must have driven through the iron of the ship’s side like a white-hot iron rod through paper.

A flicker of flame went up through the rising steam, and then the Martian reeled and staggered. In another moment he was cut down, and a great body of water and steam shot high in the air. The guns of the Thunder Child sounded through the reek, going off one after the other, and one shot splashed the water high close by the steamer, ricocheted towards the other flying ships to the north, and smashed a smack to matchwood.

But no one heeded that very much. At the sight of the Martian’s collapse the captain on the bridge yelled inarticulately, and all the crowding passengers on the steamer’s stern shouted together. And then they yelled again. For, surging out beyond the white tumult, drove something long and black, the flames streaming from its middle parts, its ventilators and funnels spouting fire.

She was alive still; the steering gear, it seems, was intact and her engines working. She headed straight for a second Martian, and was within a hundred yards of him when the Heat-Ray came to bear. Then with a violent thud, a blinding flash, her decks, her funnels, leaped upward. The Martian staggered with the violence of her explosion, and in another moment the flaming wreckage, still driving forward with the impetus of its pace, had struck him and crumpled him up like a thing of cardboard. My brother shouted involuntarily. A boiling tumult of steam hid everything again.

“Two!” yelled the captain..
    From wiki
    The only version to feature Thunder Child directly is the low-budget, direct-to-DVD Pendragon adaptation, released in 2005. This version uses poorly executed CGI to portray Thunder Child as a Havock-class destroyer; it reverses the order of the ship's attack, using its guns first before successfully ramming in both cases. The vessel eventually sinks from heat ray battle damage. This reversed order of attack mirrors that of Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds.
    For 1918, a Havock class torpedo boat destroyer would be appropriate.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I wish I had some Ares tripods so I would have a better sense of scale and size...as I remember them from Origins last year, they worked pretty well in scale with the WWI planes, especially the taller tripods. Of course, they are drastically out of scale vis a vis the game mat scale, but that's hard to avoid. As long as they look good in relationship to whatever ship one chooses to play with, that's the key There certainly is something eye-catching in the larger tripods that Neil and David have built

I love watching where you are going with this, David

All the best,
    Matt

I have just spotted this collection of 3D printable files on Thingaverse and downloaded the files:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2595903

It contains files for the Blucher, Scharnhorst, Canopus, Argus, & Monmouth. The Canopus print is 27mm long, 4mm wide and 7.2mm high. I think that is too small for the gaming table but, as I can scale them up, I'm pondering what a set of suitable dimensions would be.

Here's one of the images contained in the set of files:

Name:	8b35d37f80b885493da8bff3c77f5b4f_preview_featured.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	263782
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 03-04-2019 at 21:10. Reason: Added ship names

looks interesting.
    Already have my Thunder Child though, but for anyone else, scaled up, it seems like a good option.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Rob, can you give me an idea as to how big (in mm) I should be aiming at. Just a length will do as all the other dimensions will be kept in proportion.

Not really I am afraid Wayne, as there seems to be some disagreement as to the dimensions of the Tripods amongst the brethren.

I just used what I felt would scale down well for photographic views from above the aircraft. I never scale things intended for the distance at one to one with the aircraft or other items unless It is an airfield I intend to actually land at. My Thunder Child is 200mm long.
    Rob.

I found some interesting printable Tripods and tanks over at Fat Dragon Games, World War Tesla. Still in the Steam Punk style but interesting variety.

Here is the result of scaling up the Canopus file to give me a 200mm (197mm actually!) model:

Name:	E63C05FD-5796-4B68-8E9E-4D50B7EEE77D.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	263942

Looks the job to me Wayne. With no historic ship who is to say you nay.
    Rob.

Hi Rob, yep it might look better when I paint it but I don't like the 'clunky' masts - I'm going to simplify the file by removing the existing masts and just leave holes for something a bit finer but that will withstand the rigors of constant handing on the gaming mat.

I have also downloaded and converted the file for the Thunderchild in Mat's link in the first post in this thread but I will need to considerably simplify the design to make it printable in PLA on my printer - that will take a fair bit of time as it is a fiddly process (well it is in Tinkercad anyway) so it's a work in progress between other tasks that my wife deems more pressing.

Hi Wayne.
    My masts are made from piano wire silver soldered at the cross trees and plugged into the hull so that they can be unshipped for transport.
    Rob.

That was one of the pictures I took as my inspiration.

Also this one.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	264009

Rob.

Back when I was playing TRACTICS and this album came out I had a Tiger tank that I named ULLA. The sound the Martian machine made. I have that tank somewhere.

I saw that album recently in the local second hand vinyl record shop (you know those black discs with a little hole in the middle) but the price tag was a much as I paid for my T&T kick start! I nearly weakened but sanity prevailed. However I well remember it from my youth!

Thanks for the photos Rob - they will be a great help. Can you put up a photo of your finished model? It would help me gauge the level of detail I need to aim for.
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 03-08-2019 at 16:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    I saw that album recently in the local second hand vinyl record shop (you know those black discs with a little hole in the middle) but the price tag was a much as I paid for my T&T kick start! ....
    Good to know - we found a copy whilst boxing up to move house the missus forgotten she had !

"He is wise who watches"

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I had that album once upon a time, too - not only is that picture really cool in its own right, but it has always stuck with me from a size perspective of how things should be...although that makes the tripods rather huge, doesn't it...?!? Good things that H.G. Wells is rather vague in his discriptions of how the machines tower over the Earthlings...

Always good to see that album cover from time to time - I will have to see if I can replace the record digitally...

All the best,
    Matt

Here you go Wayne.

Name:	IMG_7248.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	264061

Name:	IMG_7250.jpg 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	264062

Name:	IMG_7252.jpg 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	264063

Name:	IMG_7253.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	264064

Rob.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    I saw that album recently in the local second hand vinyl record shop (you know those black discs with a little hole in the middle) but the price tag was a much as I paid for my T&T kick start! I nearly weakened but sanity prevailed. However I well remember it from my youth!

Thanks for the photos Rob - they will be a great help. Can you put up a photo of your finished model? It would help me gauge the level of detail I need to aim for.
    Oddly enough I just saw a copy of the album for sale in ASDA just the other day so it must be one of those albums that vinyl fanatics buy on a regular basis and they can still sell copies of it. And for myself I still have a CD version of it lying about somewhere that I bought years ago to replace the Vinyl version I used to have.

I got the original album when it first came out in 1978 - still have it.

I went 'all in' ten or eleven years ago and picked up this deluxe expanded CD collection, complete with a nice 80-page book and the original pictures from the LP and additional info on the production and planning. Here's a taste:

Name:	1-IMG_0275.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	264067 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-IMG_0282.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	264068

Name:	3-IMG_0276.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	264069 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-IMG_0277.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	264070

Name:	5-IMG_0279.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	264071 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-IMG_0280.jpg 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	264072

Name:	7-IMG_0278.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	264073 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-IMG_0281.jpg 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	264074

Looking at those pictures is fascinating.
    I still think the legs are the weak point of the design.
    To misquote George Orwell, "Four legs good, two legs fall over."
    Rob.

WOW Pete I have never seen that before so pretty impressive. That must be worth quite a bit these days. My nephew is into vinyl so I gave him all my albums.

Great little ship model Rob.

Thanks for the photos Rob. I’m thinking I will revert to plan A: modify The Canopus file so that I can use brass masts and brass tubing guns plus some extra bits (like ventilators and maybe life boats) that I will have to source from a donor kit. Looks like an expedition to the local hobby shop may be in order - dangerous!!

I have vague memories of a Revell kit of the Emden that might be a candidate, if I can locate one.

Now, about rules...
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 03-09-2019 at 14:10.

Neil has rules in the files for my WWI Pre Drednought Wayne.
    For that I used two brass tubes one stuck inside the other for the gun barrels.
    Ron.

Thanks for the rules heads-up Rob.

I was scuffling through a box of modelling bits that we cleaned out of his modelling room after he died and came across a box of tube brass, aluminium and plastic tube so I think I will fixed for masts and guns!

I’m thinking that I should start a new thread in the Hobby Room once I get cranking.

Similar Missions

1. War Thunder
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 11:34
  2. 4 years of thunder...
    By Bluedevil in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 22:03
  3. Thunder Over Michigan
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 15