Ares Games

Thread: Ruler discrepancy???

speedycrab12

Default Ruler discrepancy???

So I recently picked up the BoB starter set, and was just glancing at the ruler and realized that the two sides are not even remotely symmetrical. I grabbed a ruler to see if my eyes were playing tricks and sure enough, definitely not equal. Depending on what side you use determine range, one range is 97mm and the other 98mm. The other half is even worse, with the greyish side coming out to 101mm and the other 94mm. Clearly this is a misprint on the ruler.

How long should the ruler actually be? 195mm seems like a very arbitrary number, given that the two lengths, assuming they should be equal would make each side 97.5mm. I would think regulation would be 100mm for each range correct?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    -N

I have noticed this and have made my own rulers. I marked some of the ARES rulers so that I don't use the side that is off. I don't know if any official length has been announced anywhere.

speedycrab12

Thanks, I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as we keep it consistent. Still a bit surprising that an official length has never been discussed. I suppose I will be investing in a acrylic set soon enough for house games.
    Cheers.

Good to see you finally touched down Nate. It is a pleasure to be able to welcome you to the Drome from we pilots here in Dear old Blighty.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by speedycrab12 View Post
    Thanks, I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as we keep it consistent. Still a bit surprising that an official length has never been discussed. I suppose I will be investing in a acrylic set soon enough for house games.
    Cheers.
    You might be better off printing your own and attaching them to some board. I has some of the Aerodrome ones and they were not of equal length on either side of the mid mark.

As you say, as long as all of the rulers you use are the same it doesn't matter if they are a bit shorter or longer from the overall length.

The official length is 19.6cm and was more to do with the size of the box the original sets came in than the design of the game - Andrea wanted the rulers to be a little longer if I recall correctly.
    Some answers here perhaps:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ighlight=ruler
    Last edited by flash; 02-05-2019 at 08:02. Reason: Correction - 19.6cm & Link added

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Nate, from here across the Atlantic in the United Kingdom.

Congratulations on having the sharp eyes to spot the mistake! I dug out my 'Dawn of War' box, which was the very first starter set when this was a card game and the division is exactly in the middle of the combat rulers.

speedycrab12

Thanks for the warm welcome, all. Been lurking on the forums for a while now, back when I picked up some clearance fantasy-flight stock. Thanks for all the info, both here and across the site. It is certainly a wealth of info.
    Good hunting.

Thumbs up

G'day Nate & welcome to the Drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    That is interesting. I have the original Nexus Rulers for WW1 & they are AOK.
    I will have to check my WW2 ones.

as someones whose spent a lot of time making their own rulers and comparing and contrasting various original rulers, theres actually quite a bit of variance from one ruler to another.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    as someones whose spent a lot of time making their own rulers and comparing and contrasting various original rulers, theres actually quite a bit of variance from one ruler to another.
    "A man who has one ruler knows the correct distances. A man with two rulers does not".

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    "A man who has one ruler knows the correct distances. A man with two rulers does not".

because a king governs better than a biumvirate?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I used to work in calibration. An older tech who did temperature calibrations told me, " A man with one thermometer knows the temperature, a man with two does not". When you get to the tiniest of increments it is basically impossible for replication. Which measuring device is correct when they differ by a minuscule amount?

How accurate is the device you use as the standard? How accurate can you replicate the measurement in second, third, forth..... device?

I also used to work in a place that made a temperature standard. The inventor claimed it was good to 13 decimal places. We made several of these units a year. Calibrating them...not done casually!

Not in Sparta!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. ruler: how long?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-11-2014, 15:38
  2. Prop ruler restock?
    By P-51D in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 19:02
  3. Range Ruler
    By Pseudotheist in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9