Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory WW2 Victorian Championship at Conquest 2019

Default Wings of Glory WW2 Victorian Championship at Conquest 2019

“Wings of Glory” is a World War II air combat miniatures game using 1/200 scale aircraft. Players re-create exciting dogfights and bombing missions using beautifully detailed miniature aircraft.

The Wings of Glory World War 2 - 2019 Victorian Championship is being run on Monday 22nd April. Venue, Batman Royale, Colonel Room, 14 Gaffney St, Coburg North. Tickets $15 prepaid on the Conquest 2019 sites or $20 on the day. Registration begins at 9.00 am. Games begin at 9.15 am. Four games will be scheduled with a maximum 75 minutes per game.

Game Rules. Standard Rules as detailed in the Wings of Glory rule book will be used (page 11) note this means altitude rules will NOT be used.
    Tailing Rule will be used (page 18).
    Aim Rule will be used (page 20).
    Ace Rules will be used (page 21).
    Rookie pilots and pre game damage are permitted.

Special Abilities will be used (page 22) and paid for according to the Ares Games point system (download from Ares Games website). The following special abilities are permitted:
    Lucky Pilot
    Strong Constitution
    Fire Expert
    Itchy Trigger Finger
    Perfect Aim
    Sniper
    Super Ace = 12 points
    Technical Eye = 7 points

Squadrons are limited to 335 points based on Ares Games official points value chart (download from Ares Games website - https://www.aresgames.eu/download/21221/). Any Wings of Glory or Wings of War aircraft are eligible.
    For example:
    • 2 X Messerschmitt Bf109 E-3 = 334 points
    • 2 X Supermarine Spitfire Mk I = 326 points
    • 2 X Mitsubishi A6M2 (Zero) = 312 points
    • 2 X Hawker Hurricane Mk I = 288 points

Bring your favourite fighter planes, movement deck, damage counters and range ruler.

WINGS OF GLORY SCENARIOS
    1. Straight up dog fight: aircraft are deployed anywhere on your own baseline. Players dice to see who begins deployment. Higher roll decides who begins, then players alternate deploying aircraft one at a time.
    2. Delayed Wingman: wingman is deployed anywhere on your own baseline but leader is deployed one range ruler forward from wingman's rear edge. Dice off to see who deploys first. Optional: clouds.
    3. Random Deployment: aircraft are deployed as Leader/Wingman. Dice for entry point as follows; 1 - left side within a range ruler of corner, 2 - baseline within a range ruler of left corner, 3 - baseline at least a range ruler but no more than two rulers of left corner, 4 - baseline at least a range ruler but no more than two rulers of right corner, 5 - baseline within a range ruler of right corner, 6 - right side within a range ruler of corner. Optional: clouds.
    4. Defend the airfield: place your “airfield card” (represented by a red dot Ground Target Card) anywhere on your baseline, a range ruler in and at least one ruler from sides. Aircraft are up patrolling and deployed using Random Deployment. An airfield can be destroyed by strafing (14 hit points, page 36) or bombing (page 38). A single engined fighter may carry one bomb. A multi-engined aircraft or dive bomber may carry two bombs. An airfield counts as 150 points. Optional: clouds.

Game duration: 75 minutes.

Winning the game: the player who destroys all enemy aircraft or with the highest score at the end of the game wins.
    How to score points: for each enemy aircraft destroyed you score points equal to its value. Aircraft point values are listed on the Ares Games point system. Half-points are awarded for each enemy aircraft reduced to below half at the end of the game.

Any questions: michaelgriffiths302@gmail.com
    Last edited by Mick.G; 02-03-2019 at 14:34.

Looks like a good day out Mick.
    Will there be photographs?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Good luck with the event Mick, I hope you get a good turn out.

Best wishes for your event. May you attract a lot of new folk to our games with your scenario. Sounds good.

Update: we will allow any Nexus/Wings of War aircraft using the World war 2 points as listed on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick.G View Post
    “Wings of Glory” is a World War II air combat miniatures game using 1/200 scale aircraft. Players re-create exciting dogfights and bombing missions using beautifully detailed miniature aircraft.

The Wings of Glory World War 2 - 2019 Victorian Championship is being run on Monday 22nd April. Venue, Batman Royale, Colonel Room, 14 Gaffney St, Coburg North. Tickets $15 prepaid on the Conquest 2019 sites or $20 on the day. Registration begins at 9.00 am. Games begin at 9.15 am. Four games will be scheduled with a maximum 75 minutes per game.

Game Rules. Standard Rules as detailed in the Wings of Glory rule book will be used (page 11) note this means altitude rules will NOT be used.
    Tailing Rule will be used (page 18).
    Aim Rule will be used (page 20).
    Ace Rules will be used (page 21).
    Rookie pilots and pre game damage are permitted.

Special Abilities will be used (page 22) and paid for according to the Ares Games point system (download from Ares Games website). The following special abilities are permitted:
    Lucky Pilot
    Strong Constitution
    Fire Expert
    Itchy Trigger Finger
    Perfect Aim
    Sniper
    Super Ace = 12 points
    Technical Eye = 7 points

Squadrons are limited to 335 points based on Ares Games official points value chart (download from Ares Games website - https://www.aresgames.eu/download/21221/). Any Wings of Glory or Wings of War aircraft are eligible.
    For example:
    • 2 X Messerschmitt Bf109 E-3 = 334 points
    • 2 X Supermarine Spitfire Mk I = 326 points
    • 2 X Mitsubishi A6M2 (Zero) = 312 points
    • 2 X Hawker Hurricane Mk I = 288 points

Bring your favourite fighter planes, movement deck, damage counters and range ruler.

WINGS OF GLORY SCENARIOS
    1. Straight up dog fight: aircraft are deployed anywhere on your own baseline. Players dice to see who begins deployment. Higher roll decides who begins, then players alternate deploying aircraft one at a time.
    2. Delayed Wingman: wingman is deployed anywhere on your own baseline but leader is deployed one range ruler forward from wingman's rear edge. Dice off to see who deploys first. Optional: clouds.
    3. Random Deployment: aircraft are deployed as Leader/Wingman. Dice for entry point as follows; 1 - left side within a range ruler of corner, 2 - baseline within a range ruler of left corner, 3 - baseline at least a range ruler but no more than two rulers of left corner, 4 - baseline at least a range ruler but no more than two rulers of right corner, 5 - baseline within a range ruler of right corner, 6 - right side within a range ruler of corner. Optional: clouds.
    4. Defend the airfield: place your “airfield card” (represented by a red dot Ground Target Card) anywhere on your baseline, a range ruler in and at least one ruler from sides. Aircraft are up patrolling and deployed using Random Deployment. An airfield can be destroyed by strafing (14 hit points, page 36) or bombing (page 38). A single engined fighter may carry one bomb. A multi-engined aircraft or dive bomber may carry two bombs. An airfield counts as 150 points. Optional: clouds.

Game duration: 75 minutes.

Winning the game: the player who destroys all enemy aircraft or with the highest score at the end of the game wins.
    How to score points: for each enemy aircraft destroyed you score points equal to its value. Aircraft point values are listed on the Ares Games point system. Half-points are awarded for each enemy aircraft reduced to below half at the end of the game.

Any questions: michaelgriffiths302@gmail.com
    I have got to try these rules with... someone?

I have a few players locally, but they don't have a lot of planes. I might have to provide the physical aircraft, although I am almost exclusively Battle of Britain. Gladiators vs CR.42s?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks Mate.

Being an open tournament we don't enforce any particular theme, although last year we encouraged a Battle of Britain theme. Last year's winner flew three Gladiators; Faith, Hope & Charity!

This year I'm toying with the idea of a P47 loaded up with ace skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick.G View Post
    Thanks Mate.

Being an open tournament we don't enforce any particular theme, although last year we encouraged a Battle of Britain theme. Last year's winner flew three Gladiators; Faith, Hope & Charity!

This year I'm toying with the idea of a P47 loaded up with ace skills.
    In BSG, a player is actually limited to using only one Talent per step. There are talents that actually say that a pilot can use two other skills in the same step, such as Lethal and Gifted Sniper (note: this takes having three talents - Exceptional Gunner which allows the player to use Lethal and Gifted Sniper).

I have recently been playtesting my Vimy Ridge scenario for PragueCon 2019, and using Albert Ball (Level 4 Ace) against MvR (Level 4 Ace). These aces can chain their skills together. Ball can use Sharp Eye (hit with two cards at long range), Sniper (Choose two cards and give the opponent one, doubled because it is a double-hit), and Perfect Aim (add one to each card). Then, Ball has to take three and four recovery counters, but the shot could be lethal, depending on damage draws. I don't know if this is allowable, but I can't find anything in the WGF rule book limiting the number of skills used within a phase or turn, except the recovery counters.

You might consider this, if the WGS rulebook doesn't have limitations, either.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Conquest has opened ticket sales. There is an early bird discount. Tickets are available here
    https://www.conquest.asn.au/attend/entry-fees/

Exciting news for our tournament, Ares has updated the official WW2 points value chart and added the old Wings of War aircraft. Hopefully this entices players to fly some really interesting squadrons!

Tomorrow is our tournament, we currently have eight pre-registered players, hoping for a couple more to sign up on the day. Everyone’s excited and ready for combat. News from the reigning Victorian Wings of Glory Champion is he will not fly triple Gladiators this year. Tomorrow all will be revealed.

Looking forward to it Mick. Anything from the Antipodes is always welcome.
    Rob.

Best wishes for a successful Championship tomorrow, Mick. I hope that you have a few more entrants and some exciting air battles.

The 2019 Victorian Wings of Glory WW2 Championship has been run and won. 1st place Evan, 2nd place Django and 3rd place Trevor. Congratulations to our place getters and a huge thanks to all who participated. It was a very pleasant day of wargaming. The big surprise of the day was the man who brought a bomber to a dogfight and then won the whole thing. Looking forward to the next one already!

Glad you enjoyed your day Mick.
    Any photos perchance?
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Well done Mick & the Placegetters.
    Look forward to some Photos!

Uploaded on Mick's behalf
    Name:  IMG_0705.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  220.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0706.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  213.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_0707.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  209.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0708.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  217.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0709.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  196.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_0711.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  196.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0712.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  174.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0713.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  201.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0714.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  211.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0715.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  214.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0716.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  204.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0717.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  238.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0718.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  234.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0719.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  223.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0720.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  191.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0721.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  209.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0722.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  226.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_0723.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  203.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0724.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  222.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0727.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  164.2 KB
    Last edited by Xen; 04-23-2019 at 21:06.

Great job lads, look forward to seeing the photos.

Thanks for the photos Evan and Mick.
    Great shots of the action, and the photo of my favourite chocolate as a bonus.

Rob.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the photos Evan. Great stuff!
    Now just need to know who is who in the Photo of the Winners!

Haha I'm in the middle displaying how my bomber went Takka Takka. Trev (Trev's worshop trev) is on the right, and Django on the left who won it last year

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Prague 2019
    By Dan-Sam in forum Past Prague Summer Cons
    Replies: 235
    Last Post: 11-21-2019, 12:11
  2. Queensland Wings of Glory WW1 & WW2 at Briscon Apr 27-28, 2019
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-27-2019, 01:09
  3. Wings of Prague 2019 - Game Scenario Overviews
    By OldGuy59 in forum Past Prague Summer Cons
    Replies: 32