Ares Games

Thread: X-Wing using BSG SB rule set

Default X-Wing using BSG SB rule set

From a thread in FaceBook I got the idea of keeping X-Wing ships and just converting those ships to the BSG SB Rules.
    We would need a Maneuver deck for each ship though, but that can be made using a drawing program and saving as a PDF. I would use a square deck of course (instead of hexagonal).
    The only other thing would be to determine how much health each ship has and it’s Acceleration and what each named pilot’s talents/flaws would be, but the talents/flaws can be done some time later. Oh and shields would need to be worked out (BSG SB doesn’t have them).
    Anyone else interested in converting, or am I just spinning my wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by BronzeSparrow View Post
    From a thread in FaceBook I got the idea of keeping X-Wing ships and just converting those ships to the BSG SB Rules.
    We would need a Maneuver deck for each ship though, but that can be made using a drawing program and saving as a PDF. I would use a square deck of course (instead of hexagonal).
    The only other thing would be to determine how much health each ship has and it’s Acceleration and what each named pilot’s talents/flaws would be, but the talents/flaws can be done some time later. Oh and shields would need to be worked out (BSG SB doesn’t have them).
    Anyone else interested in converting, or am I just spinning my wheels?
    Wow. Your level of enthusiasm for this game is amazing.

Not necessarily a bad thought. This is exactly where X-Wing came from, as an off-shoot of Wings of War, back in the day. If you take the X-Wing ships, and overlay BSG on it, it would be like bringing the space version full circle. Very ironic.

With only two ships with which to use as a base, you will be hard pressed to come up with a formula for conversions.

Sad to say, but you may have to wait until the Heavy Raider and Raptor come out (this summer/fall?).
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    [...] Sad to say, but you may have to wait until the Heavy Raider and Raptor come out (this summer/fall?).
    I bought the Starter set and pre-ordered 2 more Vipers and Raiders. But even as much as I like BSG without the Heavy Raider and Raptor (even with) how much replay-ability is there? It may come down to, is there a book of missions to choose from. Only being able to play the same two ships will hurt the game unless that can came out a some very different and very engaging scenarios. These scenarios really need to be official and promoted by the publisher to reach a wider audience. Wouldn't you think?
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-12-2019 at 12:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I bought the Starter set and pre-ordered 2 more Vipers and Raiders. But even as much as I like BSG without the Heavy Raider and Raptor (even with) how much replay-ability is there? It may come down to, is there a book of missions to choose from. Only being able to play the same two ships will hurt the game unless that can came out a some very different and very engaging scenarios. These scenarios really need to be official and promoted by the publisher to reach a wider audience. Wouldn't you think?
    Scenarios in X-Wing? Get together with a buddy, and a list of ships and upgrades, and start rolling dice. Not much replay value in it, IMHO. Making ship lists, and trying out different combinations of "winning upgrades" may have been a draw? Why was X-Wing so popular? Don't know, personally.

BSG won't be in the same realm, I hope. But, as more ships come out, more mission options will come out, and more fun. August/September?

Check this play-test AAR: BSG Play Test - Raptor and Heavy Raider, 11 May 2019
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. Do you use the Aim optional rule?
    By Ginarley in forum Polls
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-02-2018, 14:30
  2. Does "Overlapping Airplanes" rule cancels" Line of Sight" rule?
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 16:01
  3. +1 Rule
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 08:00
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 23:58
  5. Most Current Rule set?
    By afilter in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 2