Ares Games

Thread: Thoughts on Ship/Pilot selection in the Starter & Expansions

Default Thoughts on Ship/Pilot selection in the Starter & Expansions

So, does anyone else think that Apollo's damaged Viper is a blatant effort to discourage the "I'll just buy multiple starters" mentality for large scale collectors? Like, for the Cylons it hardly matters; there's only one Raider that should be distinguishable from the others, and he's niche enough that it would be kinda weird to have him in the starter. But with the Vipers, if you're thinking of getting a bit of a cost savings with the sets, you'll get one perfectly standard Viper, and then this battle scarred one. And one battle scarred Viper is cool, but 2 identically scuffed up birds is kinda silly.

If you're at all into repainting your ships, you know that tweaking the Apollo Viper into something serviceable is an extensive repaint project,which may not even be feasible at the level of detail these ships are decalled to. Maybe it's good for some broadly different paint scheme, but those are few and far between in BSG.

Meanwhile, it seems like they may have already shot themselves in the foot with that decision of pilots. If you're familiar with WoG or SoG, you know that Ares loves releasing their minis in sets of three, so why only 2 Vipers? My guess is that they were planning to release the Blackbird as the third, but realized it required too many modifications too late in the process. If they had kept Apollo out of the starter, he would've been a guaranteed sale as the third Viper, and I don't think anyone would've blamed them for filling out the starter with some of the second tier pilots like Hot Dog & Kat.

Speaking of, what's the deal with only 1 Pilot card in the starter? Would it really have killed them to put a pilot card in for Hardball? Even the generic Cylons got a pair. I mean, sure she wasn't the best pilot, but at the rate they're going, it looks like we're gonna get Apollo and Starbuck, and that's it? I mean, I'd like to assume that we'll get a couple Pilot cards in the "generic" Viper, but if that's the case, why isn't it "Kat's Viper", or whoever they're inevitably going to have to plaster on the side of the model? Maybe they're trying to hold onto some pilots for the Mk.VII models, but did anyone other than Starbuck & Apollo really have a chance to fly those? And they've already dropped hints that they could release cards for Pilots at different experience levels (which seems silly, with the way the Pilot skills work), so we'll probably see them again anyway.

At any rate, I feel like they could've covered way more ground at minimal expense by giving us Starbuck's, Apollo's & Kat's Vipers in the expansion, each with a backup Pilot card (Longshot, Husker & Narcho?), with like Hot Dog, Hardball & Jolly in the starter. Then put 2/3 of the pilot abilities in each expansion, so any 2 will get you the set. I just don't see the point of being stingy with them, since we're not going to have much more opportunity for them, unless Ares plans to release an all cards expansion pack.

Anyway, this is me closing the barn door after the horse has left, but I just felt like muttering about it for a while. If anyone can make better sense of it, let me know.

Edit: O.k. I guess we'll probably get Kat at least for the Mk.VIIs...
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 01-27-2019 at 10:03.

I think most people aren’t that hardcore and really like having an Apollo in the starter.

I hope that they will produce a card pack containing cards for many different pilots and also for the many different pilot skills and disadvantages.

Pseudotheist, I do see what you are saying. I bought 2 x starter sets and I would probably have preferred to get 4 x standard Vipers (with a variety of pilot cards) rather than 2 x standard Vipers and 2 x Apollo battle-damaged Vipers...leaving the special Vipers for expansions would have been better, I feel...that is just me not wanting to double up on the same special model...

...in terms of collecting the pilot cards, I'll only ever be playing in friendly casual games so having official cards is not a big deal for me, I'll absolutely be redoing my own cards in photoshop (larger cards with larger text for my older eyes) and getting them printed on good quality poker cards at Printer Studio or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I'll absolutely be redoing my own cards in photoshop (larger cards with larger text for my older eyes) and getting them printed on good quality poker cards at Printer Studio or the like.
    Now THERE's a great idea!

The text really is too small for me (and some of the colour-on-background combos are a bit mad!).
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Now that they've released the expansion Vipers, the choice of Pilot Cards is a bit frustrating. The 'generic' Hardball Viper didn't come with a Pilot Card, either, just pilot tokens.

Sad.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Now that they've released the expansion Vipers, the choice of Pilot Cards is a bit frustrating. The 'generic' Hardball Viper didn't come with a Pilot Card, either, just pilot tokens.

Sad.
    If you haven't been to BoardGameGeek, there are some home-made pilot cards available there:

BoardGameGeek.com - Colonial Pilots
    BoardGameGeek.com - Cylon Raider Pilots
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

There is a list of pilots from the newer series here: https://en.battlestarwikiclone.org/wiki/List_of_pilots

Here is a list of colonial Warriors from the original series: https://en.battlestarwikiclone.org/w...st_of_Warriors

There are also the names of many characters from all the series here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ica_characters

Similar Missions

1. Next expansions: Russian peasants
    By Angiolillo in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-26-2016, 13:47
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-18-2014, 09:14
  3. What expansions do you think are important for WoW/WoG1?
    By Harry Tate in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-15-2011, 01:08
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 13:42
  5. New Expansions are Out
    By David Kuijt in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 11:41