Ares Games

Thread: Ares announces digital version of Wings of Glory

Default Ares announces digital version of Wings of Glory

Announcement on the Ares website - https://www.aresgames.eu/22614

Looks like just the WW1 version at this stage.

Saw this and it sounds interesting.

Maybe they include a kind of usable organizer or almanc in this app for our boardgames.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I'm hoping this is something that aids in the playing of the tabletop version in some way (the long-delayed/shelved app announced as part of the Giants KS campaign)... or -- at least -- retains the turn-based element of the game.

Curious to see where this goes.
    Last edited by fast.git; 01-21-2019 at 08:02. Reason: Deleted repeated word

Looking forward to it-it will do nothing but help spark interest in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Looking forward to it-it will do nothing but help spark interest in the game.
    That's fair, Sam. Certainly in our best interests to grow the game. It's one of the reasons I'm happy to see BSG here... if only a few jump from there to Wings it will be a good thing.

That could be really interesting. I wonder if it is to address the Kickstarter promise. I hope it is Tablet, Android in our case, compatible. Fingers crossed.

This sounds like an exciting development.

They are just up the road from in Denver, so if they mess it up I can go up there and kick them in the shins!

From memory, this is attempt #2 at this. We'll know more in a year's time.

interesting. do they intend to go full flight sim or a tactical turn based game?

Talking with Ares, this is a digital version of the game, not a companion app for the tabletop game. They are working with Dire Wold Digital to decide the characteristics (turn based or real time for example) of the game and as of this time no decisions have been made.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Talking with Ares, this is a digital version of the game, not a companion app for the tabletop game. They are working with Dire Wold Digital to decide the characteristics (turn based or real time for example) of the game and as of this time no decisions have been made.
    Do you know if they do into intend to fulfill the Kickstarter campaign stretch goal of the app?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Do you know if they do into intend to fulfill the Kickstarter campaign stretch goal of the app?
    I've not asked in a couple of years, but I've heard nothing that suggest their last response of "not likely" has changed.

I've not asked in a couple of years, but I've heard nothing that suggest their last response of "not likely" has changed.
    The last two responses I got was that it would be out in a couple of months. Then nothing.

I would prefer a turn based game, esp. with an internet capability, so it could be used for playing with others in distant places.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

[....]to take the Wings of Glory game experience to electronic devices[...]
    So... iPhone.. tablet... not a computer centric game.

Pretty much killed my interest right there. Mobile games, by and large, are done horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I would prefer a turn based game, esp. with an internet capability, so it could be used for playing with others in distant places.
    Karl
    We had a go at using Skype way back in 2013 .
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ht=skype+games
    Most router speeds have improved since then (possibly not mine!!) as there tended to be a breakdown in visual and audio, plus other apps are now available such as discord whats app etc so we could always give it another go. I loved it when we got going.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

As Zoe said .... is this a resurrection?

http://www.aresgames.eu/14804

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    So... iPhone.. tablet... not a computer centric game.

Pretty much killed my interest right there. Mobile games, by and large, are done horribly.
    First paragraph on the Ares page:
    Ares Games and Dire Wolf Digital announce a license agreement to bring the Wings of Glory tabletop games to digital. Dire Wolf Digital will work on a game to bring the exciting dogfights of Ares’ best-selling aerial combat system to PCs, phones and tablets.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

When I read mobile and tablets my heart sinks aswell. Their back catalogue doesn't inspire either.

Still we shall see. I hope they have campaigns and squadron management etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    First paragraph on the Ares page:
    Exactly what I said.

By and large games developed for mobile are terrible, and the few that aren't don't get any real overhaul when they're ported to PC, making them clunky at best and painful at worst to play on PC.

Sid Meier's WWI game wasn't a bad thing, save for its lack of historicity (female pilots for one). A more historical game along the same lines would be a welcome addition in my view.

One does hope they have not decided to throw in the towel on tabletop and just take their IP digital though.

Is there any word on when it's finished? I have no idea how long such a project last or what the progress was when they announced it...

https://www.aresgames.eu/15149

The Kickstarter campaign to fund ePawn Arena, an unique board that connects mobile video games to real-world game pieces, was cancelled. Launched on July 7th, the crowdfunding project had a good support in the territories ePawn is best known, but in others it was not sufficient and the campaign could not reach the funding goal.

The ePawn team decided to cancel the campaign and re-assess its approach, as explained to the KS backers in the last project update: "We will relaunch in the next few months after ramping up our community activity and we will take advantage of the relaunch to incorporate the feedback that you gave us".

Ares Games suppports the ePawn decision and hopes the project will be relaunched in a near future with success.

Here we are. To be released on July, 21st:

https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news...ings-of-glory/

Played it. Pretty faithful to the physical game, and it works fine.

A few details here, in Italian:
    https://gattaiola.it/2022/07/17/wing...fono-e-tablet/

Here the trailer:

Depends on the fonts as to what I will buy. I am thinking that maybe the tablet version might be better for portability but the steam version is more viewable on the big screen for older folk.

Too bad they couldn't make it work on Steam for Mobile too instead of Playstore/Appstore, get it really cross-platform...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I am just happy someone finishs his digital project after all those years. The only real digital version was a free one based on java until now, so this could be a fine milestone. I plan to support it as much as possible.
    See you on digital battlefield, Diamondbackm the day is comming

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I am just happy someone finishs his digital project after all those years. The only real digital version was a free one based on java until now, so this could be a fine milestone. I plan to support it as much as possible.
    See you on digital battlefield, Diamondbackm the day is comming
    But the one on Java was simple, straightforward and very Low Resource Footprint. I miss it...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

And that reminds me, we all need some way to identify each other and set up Aerodrome Only games...

So I've just purchased the game for Steam, I'm assuming I won't get a Steam code until the official release date tomorrow

So I've just purchased the game for Steam, I'm assuming I won't get a Steam code until the official release date tomorrow

I hope you waited until the Ares discount-offer email came out... just did that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Code! What code!
    Basically, when you buy through Ares they'll email you a code you type in on Steam to get the game. A prepaid voucher if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Basically, when you buy through Ares they'll email you a code you type in on Steam to get the game. A prepaid voucher if you will.
    Also if you kickstarted for the giants.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    How do you buy this through Ares? I'm not finding it on their web site.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    How do you buy this through Ares? I'm not finding it on their web site.
    Ares blasted out an emain with the link to Giants Kickstarter backers this morning--this offer was only for Giants backers.

Rob also replied to my email re cross-promo!
    Me: Rob, just had a few questions come up over at the 'Drome, and an idea sparked from my time with Wizkids around a similar physical-digital crossover many years ago. Question: How much involvement do you have under the license with Dire Wolf? Can they use the name and IP in any way they see fit, or are they coordinating with you to try to make sure that whatever they add is statistically matching its tabletop counterparts as they add future releases?

RdM: The game is a direct adaptation from the board game, so the stats should be the same as in the normal game. In any case we have approval rights on the content, but we are not directly involved in the development.

Me: Question/suggestion: Some of the guys were wondering if future physical miniatures might include a code to unlock that plane's digital counterpart--Sony Online had something similar with WK where some ships had direct unlock codes for their digital counterparts but others just had a code for a free "digital booster pack" of random content akin to the physical boosters of the tabletop game, along with a few physical packs that you had to buy the digital game and send off a mail-in form for. Have you considered discussing such cross-promotion opportunities with them, as (if memory serves) you had once done with another digital publisher on Battlestar Galactica?

RdM: This is a possibility to discuss with Dire Wolf. At the moment they are not selling individual planes as DLCs yet, but if this happens in the future, linking physical and digital product is an interesting opportunity.

I do not remember backing the kickstarter but did get an email that I responded to this morning. Basically it gave me 40% of an already low priced product. Because my time zone is GMT +10:30 I figure my email with the Steam code will probably turn up within the next 24 hours. Meanwhile I will keep my eye on the Google Play Store. For the price I figure I will buy it for both platform for the portability. I am hoping to play it in lieu of solitaire whilst sitting in front of the goggle box in the evening.

It's so good! I've already bought a bunch of extra copies for friends. I didn't expect much and it's vastly, and I mean vastly, exceeded those expectations. It's great!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

I bought it for iPhone and the laptop. I can’t get enough

Quote Originally Posted by TGalante View Post
    I bought it for iPhone and the laptop. I can’t get enough
    Ahh... another addict gets his wings

Karl

Users Country Flag

Name
    Magnus
    Sorties Flown

Is it any difference between steam and android/iOS versions?

(First post, waiting for my first stuff to arrive at home)

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Glory - Battle of Britain - french version
    By monse in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-14-2018, 00:09
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2018, 05:21
  3. Ares Announces new gaming mats.
    By jbmacek in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 229
    Last Post: 05-21-2013, 18:16
  4. New Release Ares Announces bomber pegs!
    By Madboyo in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 15:50
  5. Ares announces: WII Starter shipping from China
    By P-51D in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 22:56