Ares Games

Thread: Forum Avatar

StarfleetDroid

Question Forum Avatar

I recently started updating my new account's profile settings on this forum and I noticed that there don't seem to be any Battlestar themed avatar choices.

Are any BSG avatar's being developed for future use? That would be neat for sure.

Thanks.
    Last edited by StarfleetDroid; 01-22-2019 at 15:54.

Working on it. They will soon be selectable in the Profile-Settings.

There will be Vipers: Mk I, II (different colors), III, IV, VII, Blackbird and possibly Stealthawk. And a Raptor (possibly colors)

Additionally, there will be Cylon Raiders: TOS and Reboot, as well as Heavy Raiders.

But, these things actually don't magically appear.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks for organising these Avatars OldGuy59, very much appreciated mate

StarfleetDroid

That's great news, thanks.

I was wondering too. Somehow the airplane just doesn’t do it.

I have a few new avatars in one of my albums, and Keith [Oberst Hajj] will have them in the selection options, sometime soon. More will come, with updates from Ares.
    Mike

The end of old times Several years ago, Keith refused the interwar Czechoslovak military ranks with words he wants to keep Aerodrome in WWI style. Times are changing.
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 01-21-2019 at 01:59. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    The end of old times Several years ago, Keith refused the interwar Czechoslovak military ranks with words he wants to keep Aerodrome in WWI style. Times are changing.
    Yes Daniel, times are changing. We've added WGS to the site along with a post WWII section and even T&T. I'm happy to revisit the Czech ranks since the site has evolved so much over the years

Let them go - I think nobody needs them, because the two main CZ users are me and Kubajs and we are comunicate via SMS mostly. Times are changing even in CZ wing.

But you are very kind, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Yes Daniel, times are changing. We've added WGS to the site along with a post WWII section and even T&T. I'm happy to revisit the Czech ranks since the site has evolved so much over the years
    And now BSG, too. Makes it tougher to weed through, but I'm pleased to see the site getting continuous traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I have a few new avatars in one of my albums, and Keith [Oberst Hajj] will have them in the selection options, sometime soon. More will come, with updates from Ares.
    Nice looking avatars, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Thanks again for putting the time and effort in to getting these organised mate, I've just had a look at the album and there is a great collection of fantastic looking ships in there! Excellent stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Thanks again for putting the time and effort in to getting these organised mate, I've just had a look at the album and there is a great collection of fantastic looking ships in there! Excellent stuff
    Not too many Cylon options, unfortunately. There are only two Cylon Mk II versions currently (regular and Scar), if I don't make them up completely (IE: no color options).

Ranks are coming, as well. Colonial ranks are easy, but there is nothing online for Cylons. But, I have a cunning plan...
    Mike

It would be really nice but probably impossible to have a different icon in each forum. ie. WWII could be a P40, WWI a Camel, BSG a Cylon etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    It would be really nice but probably impossible to have a different icon in each forum. ie. WWII could be a P40, WWI a Camel, BSG a Cylon etc.
    It would be nice, but the backend programming cost is a bit high, if even possible on this software. It would require an even larger database, with a time component, as well, I suspect. A lot of power and storage for very little gain.

As you can see, I have changed my most-fav avatar (The Burgess-Dunne D-8) for the combined Colonial/Cylon emblems, in honour of my new position. I would certainly like it to only appear on the BSG section, but that won't happen, anytime in the foreseeable future.

PS: The software only references your avatar on selecting a thread. It then displays the current avatar, no matter when the post was made. So, any thread someone looks at today will have the BSG double-emblem show as my avatar, even in my first post in 2012. And, when I change the avatar, it will change any past thread presentation to the current avatar. Darn.
    Mike

Yes, you can only have one avatar at a time and posts are dynamically updated to show your currently selected avatar. You can sport a BSG avatar and Wings user name background image or vice versa (once I get the BSG stuff added to the server/site).

I could sport a BSG background with a Dr.I avatar and be forever known as the Space Fokker

More like spaced out Fokker

I just added 21 avatars to the site that were made by OldGuy59. You can now select them via the Settings link at the top right of any page, then click on the change Avatar link over on the left of the new page.

We are also working on the background images that show up under your avatar and user name. You can see one of them on Rory's posts. There is an image for both the Cylons and Colonials. These can be selected via the Settings link and then the Edit Profile link. You will need to select BSG as the war you like to fly in AND BSG Colonial or BSG Cylon as the "country" you would like to fly for. The background image will dynamically change as you change and save those settings.

Cool stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I could sport a BSG background with a Dr.I avatar and be forever known as the Space Fokker
    More like spaced out Fokker
    Better that than space fodder
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

WOW, thanks OldGuy59 and Oberst Hajj for creating the Avatars and Backgrounds and setting them up in the system for all of us to use, it is greatly appreciated! I love the Viper Mk II and background that has been set up for my account, it looks absolutely superb It's exactly what I would have chosen myself

Thanks again for the time and effort you guys have put into getting these up and running!

These look great. Thank you very much Herr Oberst and OldGuy59.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Were you a UFO, Keith, you could be an Unidentifed Fokker Object... Great work on the avatars and options, Mike and Keith!

All the best,
    Matt

StarfleetDroid

Thank you for the Avatar's

I did something wrong I think. A few days ago I was thinking of changing my avatar to a Viper or Raider. I was looking at the pictures and decided to wait. Now I can't find them. I see the standard WWI and WWII avatars but nothing else?

The drop down list is there now Ken including all the selections - unless it's a subscription thing ?

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I did something wrong I think. A few days ago I was thinking of changing my avatar to a Viper or Raider. I was looking at the pictures and decided to wait. Now I can't find them. I see the standard WWI and WWII avatars but nothing else?
    Ken, it was a permissions thing on the admin side that I needed to tweak. See if you can access them now.

Spiffy, thanks it works great.

Personaly I always wanted to have a WWI Avatar. Are there any plans to increase the number of those?

Personaly I always wanted to have a WWI Avatar. Are there any plans to increase the number of those?
    Gary,
    It depends on what you want. There are some avatars available to non-subscribers, some different ones to different levels of subscribers, and if you are a Gold member, you can have (almost) anything.

If you aren't handy at doing your own graphics, there are people on the forum that are willing to help (hint, hint).

Please check this: Wings of Glory Aerodrome - Paid Subscriptions
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. Avatar ?
    By bmwrider in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-31-2014, 01:53
  2. A New Avatar!!
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-06-2012, 13:09
  3. Avatar
    By Javikurt in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 02:56
  4. Forum Contribution: New plane avatar!
    By Lugburz in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 04:06