Ares Games

Thread: Expansion packs delayed???

Default Expansion packs delayed???

I'm new to Ares...for all those who have been a long time Ares game player...

...I notice that in a couple of spots on their website, the release schedule for the 1st lot of BSG expansion packs is listed as February...however, on the "Upcoming" section of their website, it lists them as being released in March...is the "Upcoming" section of their website usually the more accurate source of information to go by???

Hi Rory

I'm afraid experience has taught us that NOTHING is ever accurate on Ares' website.

Their timescales are placed in good faith, but are never met; something(s) always get in the way.

Treat them as a Wishful Thinking list................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Hi Rory

I'm afraid experience has taught us that NOTHING is ever accurate on Ares' website.

Their timescales are placed in good faith, but are never met; something(s) always get in the way.

Treat them as a Wishful Thinking list................
    Understood, thanks for the info mate! In that case, I'll hope for the best and plan for the worst

I feel a bit sorry for Ares, since many (but not all) of the hold-ups are out of their control.

There are plenty of fanatics on this Forum who demand to know the future, and press for release dates - when those dates slip, the same fanatics start publicly bellyaching about Ares, and this has taught Ares to issue predictions only rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I feel a bit sorry for Ares, since many (but not all) of the hold-ups are out of their control.

There are plenty of fanatics on this Forum who demand to know the future, and press for release dates - when those dates slip, the same fanatics start publicly bellyaching about Ares, and this has taught Ares to issue predictions only rarely.
    There are a lot of companies that experience delays. But few who are consistently pushing back schedules like this. How many times has balloons been promised in the last 5 or 6 years? How many years Series 1-4 promised and all still not available. Unfulfilled Kickstarter stretch goals from years back. Of course, manufacturing or prototype delays occur; but it would seem that a lot of these have never gotten beyond the promise of delivery.

I don't work for them nor do I know what is going on inside the company. But a lot of this looks more like false promises and ever shifting priorities, things fully in their control.

'Ta Dah !' That didn't take long.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

S**t happens. S**t always happens.

If you're lucky, good s**t happens.

If you're me, weird s**t happens.

Rory, your approach does seem to be the most rational one. Meantime, just enjoy the game you have.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    'Ta Dah !' That didn't take long.
    Ken does have a point. Wings and Sails seem to be the red-headed step children of the company. As a relative newbie it is frustrating to be forced to hunt down basic products to play a game. But, this is old territory as I have learned this last year.

Maybe this topic needs to be a sticky at the top of the forum. Or, in the FAQ!

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Ken does have a point.
    NO, not as he wrote it, he doesn't.

<<How many times has balloons been promised in the last 5 or 6 years?>>
    ..................only once that I recall, and it was never a "promise" - Roberto told us balloons would be reprinted, with a separate reprint of the rocket N16s so they could be sold separately, but this was delayed by some mad Tripoddy nonsense.
    A comparatively small number of Wings players enabled the launch of the Kickstarter, and the rocket planes (and balloons) were slated to supplement this.
    When the Kickstarter fell on its arse (and I don't think this can be attributed to Ares) they got delayed, along with the rest.

<<How many years Series 1-4 promised and all still not available.>>
    ..................really don't know where he's going with this?
    Series 1 reprint - delivered (MvR, LvR and Kirchstein Triplanes etc)
    Series 2 reprint - delivered (Goring, Stark, Saschenburg Fokker DVIIs etc)
    Series 3 reprint - delivered (MvR, Blue Maus and AH Albatros D.IIIs etc)
    Series 4 reprint - almost ready (we have seen the Masters) but we would have had these by now (and probably the balloons too) if not for all this Tripoddy stuff.

<<Unfulfilled Kickstarter stretch goals from years back.>>
    ..................this is a fair point, but I believe most of the missing stuff is electronic, APPs or some such, and therefore an area Ares has no experience producing, so they probably bit off more than they could chew.

The expected delivery dates have certainly slipped, due to various issues (as I said in my earlier post "since many (but not all) of the hold-ups are out of their [Ares] control") but to present this kind of exaggerated complaint is not at all helpful.

It will be even less helpful if it then gets repeated, over and over, ad nauseam.

I too am frustrated with the delays, but have learned to accept them, and not keep banging on the same old drum.

In fairness to Ken, and most others, the stating of their frustration is fine, sometimes therapeutic, and to be expected I suppose, but some others will no doubt regurgitate their same old complaint posts, over and over, until Ares finally decide to get shot of the lot of us, and stop supporting Wings altogether.

SAILS I can't speak to, since I don't play it or follow it!

Hmmm, I think maybe the frog pills need to be handed out to the lot of us again.

Sorry I may not have been too clear. yes I was referring to not only the Ares web site but also comments in threads and personal emails from Ares personnel. In this case we've been hearing for years that some products will be out within a year yet never make it. Also I was not only referring to a single print run but the availability of planes in general. They are much better right now than they have been in a while, for a long time the Dual Packs weren't even available. But be sure it is a viscous circle. A company doesn't want to print things retailers won't stock; retailers won't stock what people don't buy; and not having inventory hurts getting new people in; and without new people why make something that retailers won't stock?

As for the electronic app. This may be something new for Ares but they are not even responding to emails requesting a status.

But every couple of weeks we see people on this site saying if you want a good collection there's always Shapeways and eBay. That isn't a good way to attract new players in my opinion. I could be wrong. But at the same time, simply reading posts on this site it seems obvious that delays are a common thing with Ares. And for many these delays are more common that what we see in other companies. Again in my opinion.

I realize that on this subject I've sounded a bit negative. I apologize for that. I like this game and I even bought into both Tripods and Battlestar Galactica. When I do new players that seem to enjoy the game. I don't down play it. But here on a dedicate web-forum were we are being honest. It is easy to see from many users posts that delays and broken promises are not rare but rather expected. That is unfortunate from a game, and now games, that I do like.

On the Sails front we have never had the series of merchant shops that we were promised, many years ago :/

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Hmmm, I think maybe the frog pills need to be handed out to the lot of us again.
    "I have become, comfortably numb."

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    On the Sails front we have never had the series of merchant shops that we were promised, many years ago :/
    No we have not Dave.
    Tim has all the Dried Frog pills. Maybe we should blag a few back.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

What, these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180922_205203.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	261827

Name:	20180922_205217.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	261828

Name:	20180922_205240.jpg 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	261829

Name:	20180922_205429.jpg 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	261830

Generously supplied by the WingCo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Sorry I may not have been too clear. yes I was referring to not only the Ares web site but also comments in threads and personal emails from Ares personnel. In this case we've been hearing for years that some products will be out within a year yet never make it. Also I was not only referring to a single print run but the availability of planes in general. They are much better right now than they have been in a while, for a long time the Dual Packs weren't even available. But be sure it is a viscous circle. A company doesn't want to print things retailers won't stock; retailers won't stock what people don't buy; and not having inventory hurts getting new people in; and without new people why make something that retailers won't stock?

As for the electronic app. This may be something new for Ares but they are not even responding to emails requesting a status.

But every couple of weeks we see people on this site saying if you want a good collection there's always Shapeways and eBay. That isn't a good way to attract new players in my opinion. I could be wrong. But at the same time, simply reading posts on this site it seems obvious that delays are a common thing with Ares. And for many these delays are more common that what we see in other companies. Again in my opinion.

I realize that on this subject I've sounded a bit negative. I apologize for that. I like this game and I even bought into both Tripods and Battlestar Galactica. When I do new players that seem to enjoy the game. I don't down play it. But here on a dedicate web-forum were we are being honest. It is easy to see from many users posts that delays and broken promises are not rare but rather expected. That is unfortunate from a game, and now games, that I do like.
    Now this has much that I agree with, well said Ken!

Worth noting there's ANOTHER Series 1 reprint in the pipeline... redecoing WGF104A to the Balkankreuz version, which *I* would have made a new SKU to reduce confusion.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Similar Missions

1. WoG Kickstarter now delayed till 5th December!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-22-2015, 14:10
  2. CAFSoCal Expansion Planned
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2015, 06:24
  3. Delayed Anniversary :)
    By Пилот in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-27-2013, 16:14
  4. Series 6 release delayed