Ares Games

Thread: OTTDYM Mission 1Luftwachdienst – Sperrflug - 5th January 1916 by Tikkifriend

Default OTTDYM Mission 1Luftwachdienst – Sperrflug - 5th January 1916 by Tikkifriend

RFC

Lt Timmy Harper Balloon Buster

2nd Lt Larry Peters SM (S)

2Lt Bedard French SM rookie sharp eyes

Central Powers

Ltn Max Nagler E111 red Perfect aim

Ltn Paul Wenzel E111

It was JP Bedards first sortie with the Bulldogs. Seconded to the RFC from his Escadrille he was the first of he hoped many French pilots to fly with the British squadrons over the Western Front.

Balloon busting was Timmy Harpers forte . He was an old hand at bringing down the gas bags , if you could count 2 kills as an old hand . Larry Peters was to lead the flight Timmy was to concentrate on the balloons while Bedard was to act as wingman to his flight leader.

A white puff of smoke appeared in front of Harpers plane The Eindeckers crept into focus between the 2 balloons

Despite the chilling wind JP felt beads of sweat forming on his brow More white puffs blossomed around him and A red eindecker turned towards his plane, slightly higher and possibly faster.

The young French pilot pulled back on his gun lever ready to take a shot if the Bosch got any closer.

Harper opened up at long range watching the tracers hit the balloon,a second burst was cut short as his gun jammed.

He felt the Morraine fuselage shudder as a spray of bullets from Wenzel struck home (3)

Bedard flung his plane left trying to get on the tail of Nagler firing at the Yellow balloon as he turned . A trail of smoke appeared above the basket .

Peters could see the Eindecker ahead of him. and passed under it as he turned
    On the ground the winches began to turn, dragging the balloons to safety.

Bedard pointer his plane upwards to get above his flight leader and chase Nagler as the planes began to swirl in a circle.

But Nagler was no novice and was soon on Peters as his plane climbed and slowed

Peters panicked as flames leaped from his engine. (2+Flame)

but it was short lived as Nagler finished of the flight leader (4,0) Kill Nagler

Harper kept drilling away at the brown balloon and soon the smoke turned into an orange flame.

Sensing the threat to the balloons the E111s turned their attention to Harper leaving Bedard to follow the two Fockers his fingers trembling over the trigger. Wenzels green plane crossed Bedards sights ,
    the Fockers rudder twitched as the rounds hit it (2+ LRD)

a second burst struck Wenzel in the chest and ripped through the cockpit (2, 3+pilot)

Bedard dropped onto Wenzels tail for the kill. A rookie mistake as Wenzels stalled his plane and had the Frenchman in his sights JP got the kill but his wing struts took severe damage (3.2)
    Luck was with the young French pilot as Nagler gun jammed Kill Bedard

Flames had almost consumed the first balloon . Peters saw the red silhouette of the eindecker chasing Bedard and opened up the throttle in pursuit
    Bedard duked left and kept turning hard then headed for the blimp, his burst finishing it off

Kill Bedard

Nagler turned the opposite way giving himself so room for manoeuvre avoiding Peters fusillade before his gun jammed.
    JP looked over his tattered aircraft and decided that it could not take much more damage. He turned towards his lines.
    Nagler didn't see Peters Moraine below him but he felt the shots as they hit his plane (3)

changing target to the blimp Peters got a few rounds off before his gun stuttered to a halt.

With the remaining balloon almost down and his guns jammed Peters broke off his attack and followed the Frenchman in the direction of home.

Result

RFC

Lt Timmy Harper: Balloon Buster RTB 0 kills

2nd Lt Larry Peters: (MS(S) SD-FLM-NML 0 kills
    Rolled 6 -2FLM -1NML = 3 - Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 2 = Skip 2
    E&E: Rolled 4 +1NML -1FLM -1WIC = 3 - Captured and escaped! - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 3 = Skip 3

2Lt jean-Paul Bedard: (French MS rookie sharp eyes) RTB 2 Kills

Central Powers

Ltn Max Nagler: (E111 red - Perfect aim) RTB 1 Kill

Ltn Paul Wenzel: E111 SD-NML / WIA 0 kills
    Rolled 8 -1SD -1NML -1WIA = 5 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 3 = Skip 2
    E&E: Rolled 4 +1NML -1WIA -1WIC = 3 Captured and escaped! - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 1 = Skip 1
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/at...6&d=1547571637

1 balloon destroyed

Victory Conditions
    RFC:
    +5 Balloon
    +2 Scout

Germans:
    +5 Balloon
    +2 Scout

A draw, honours even says Uncle.

Ton Ton if you could do the honours for the fallen pilots please
    Its a reality check to fly these early's as a couple of good burst can bring them down or force them home. I can sense a " run and fight another day" philosophy might be a trend though this campaign.

Nice one Neil glad to to get the balloons out of their boxes
    Last edited by flash; 01-19-2019 at 01:22. Reason: Tally & VP Updated

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

An interesting start to the campaign Pete. I'd say your rookie has a future in the RFC if he can stay alive.
    Thanks for the ride.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Lively AAR there Paul. I've lost count of the score so will await 'Ton Tons' advice and definitive counting. (I hear tell he doesn't take his socks and shoes off either).

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Nice one Paul. A good fight indeed. That Morane of Lt Harper has seen a bit of action already - looks the business. Cannot see the "result" photo for Ltn Paul Wenzel though, so I think the attachment fairy is at it again

Seemed like a pretty even fight to me, with the edge going to the CP perhaps? One balloon and one EA down against the loss of one aircraft. That will help our boys a lot Hope 2nd Lt Larry Peters and Ltn Paul Wenzel make it through ok. I'm looking forward to seeing the actual outcome.
    Thanks for another excellent AAR and REP inbound

PS
    Nice one Neil glad to to get the balloons out of their boxes
    Agreed - said it before and I'll say it again - nice one Neil

Thumbs up

Good effort there Paul. Got one of those Bratwursts at least.
    The young Frenchman opened his account with 2 kills so we will look forward to seeing his progress.

Rep inbound.

A great start for your rookie, Bedard, Paul. Two kills in his first outing!
    Interesting paint jobs on your monoplanes - afraid mine are pretty much 'outta the box'. At least for now ...

Speaking of mine, Iust finished four turns. Balloons are still up (but so are all aircraft)
    As others have mentioned, "there's a lot of zeroes in the 'B' Deck" ....

I hope 'Ton Ton' goes easy on the die rolls for both the downed airmen.

A bit of REP is on its way.

Looks like it was a fairly evenly matched game and result on balance an entente victory by a small margin?
    A good first outing for the Rookie with two kills he should be well pleased he's an asset to the unit and looks as if he will make the grade of he survives.
    I'm very pleased you flew the blue and grey Morane. I recently painted two Fokker Elll's and took the inspiration for the colour scheme from a plane I had seen and liked a lot. When I posted them in the painting thread I couldn't remember who's plane it was and so I couldn't give you the credit you deserved.
    So thanks a lot for the inspiration I think it's a cracking paint scheme.

A lovely little set to there Paul, that was quite a punch up - thought you'd had an Eagles flashback when I saw the way Peters' was dispatched ! Good result for Bedard though.

Uncle says:

Well it was a tough ask but we got half the job done at least & that second balloon will be out of action while it's getting patched. Think young Bedard did himself & the French air service proud. I have liaised with my counterparts and he will be awarded the War Cross with silver star (Croix de Guerre ้toile de argent) (CdGs) for his victories today.
    Ltn Max Nagler gets a pilot badge for his first effort.

Now a gentle kick up the backside for the author from Uncle !
    Please try to follow the order of the Tally format mate:
    Pilots name / what happened to them & where / injuries / Victories using the abbreviations given.
    Include 0 kills as well as actual kills - you missed Nagler's out of the Tally altogether !
    And if VP are given out in the BRF can we have a stab at writing them up ! ...I thankyou...
    Last edited by flash; 01-19-2019 at 01:38.

"He is wise who watches"

Sorry Dave was overcome by a bit of Brexit there, couldnt make my mind up what I should report or leave to you.

Will work out the VPs before next week
    OOPs to late Thank you Ton Ton

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Nice job on the game and the AAR Paul, I thought the Eagles were about to sweep all before them when Nagler shot down the first Morane in flames.

Looks like the rookies are doing well despite their status, another one with two victories to show for his first time out. C'est magnifique.

Yeow, even honors, and Jean-Paul did so well on his first time out, too. Intelligence might have to keep an eye on him. Well done, Paul.

Great first set to for your rook, Paul. And a well deserved gong, too! All-in-all, a great first entry.

Well done Paul. Delicate planes and blow for blow fight. A tough fight. Bedard with two kills, he won't be called a rookie for long at that pace!

Love the look of your monoplanes.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-22-2019, 15:09
  2. AAR OTT Daring Young Men Mission 1 Luftwachdienst – Sperrflug - 5th January 1916
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-21-2019, 11:34
  3. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-21-2019, 10:38
  4. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-19-2019, 05:02
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-08-2019, 02:47