Ares Games

Thread: Do the xpaks come with anything not already in the base game?

Default Do the xpaks come with anything not already in the base game?

I know that Starbuck and Scar will be different and include unique pilot cards plus maybe skills or something. But what about the standard Viper and Raider Expansions? Do they come with anything not already in the base game?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I know that Starbuck and Scar will be different and include unique pilot cards plus maybe skills or something. But what about the standard Viper and Raider Expansions? Do they come with anything not already in the base game?

Thanks,
    From what I understand they will come with their own talents/flaws.
    I have no idea how many (could be one or a hundred - no clue).

Quote Originally Posted by BronzeSparrow View Post
    From what I understand they will come with their own talents/flaws.
    I have no idea how many (could be one or a hundred - no clue).
    Or it could have the sames ones as are in the Starter box which is what I'm hoping.

I’m curious, these talents and flaws are like WGF ace skills right? Meaning not needed just nice fluff?

Or it could have the sames ones as are in the Starter box which is what I'm hoping.
    So, based solely on the Starbuck promo card, I can confidently say that there will be Talents and Flaws in the ship packs that are not in the Starter Set. Also, for the Heavy Raiders and the Raptors, there are probably going to be special rules for how they operate. Things like ECM gear in the Raptors, and heavy weapons like bombs and missiles. Otherwise, why have a "Heavy" Raider?

Heavy Raiders typically carries two tri-barreled automatic cannons capable of high rates of fire. These are further augmented with ship-to-ship missiles...
    Source: Battlestarwikiclone.org - Heavy Raider

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    I’m curious, these talents and flaws are like WGF ace skills right? Meaning not needed just nice fluff?
    You could easily skip the new ships, and play only with the Starter Set, but the new ships will come with new Talent and Flaw cards that would allow variations in the Complete Rules. What they might be will have to wait until the release of the ships, as Ares isn't saying anything. The only hint we have so far is that Starbuck promo card for the 'Captured' Cylon Raider.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Talents and flaws are an optional rule. They just add extra rules that add flavour. Don’t know if that’s like WGF, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    So, based solely on the Starbuck promo card, I can confidently say that there will be Talents and Flaws in the ship packs that are not in the Starter Set. Also, for the Heavy Raiders and the Raptors, there are probably going to be special rules for how they operate. Things like ECM gear in the Raptors, and heavy weapons like bombs and missiles. Otherwise, why have a "Heavy" Raider?

Source: Battlestarwikiclone.org - Heavy Raider
    Yeah, I’m looking forward to what Ares does with bombs and missiles etc. And can’t wait for the raptor.

I'm not worried about the Raptor, Heavy Raider, Starbuck or Scar. I'll probably get those anyway. But my question is whether to get 1 each xpak or another Starter Kit?

One each xpak, and 1 control panel kit or one extra Starter Kit. The Starter Kit give you extra tokes, rules, etc for only a few dollars more. But if unique pilots, skills not in the Starter, etc are in the Standard Viper and Raider xpaks then if I got an extra Starter Kit I'd miss those unique cards.

I'm not worried about Starbuck, Scar, Heavy Raider, Raptor. Just comparing what comes in the standard Viper and Raider xpaks to what comes in a second Starter.

I think if I knew that the first expansions were coming out as quickly as they are, I may have only purchased one starter. Having said that, having the extra damage chits, cards, ships and tokens has been really useful.

I think you get definitely new paintjobs with the single packs.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I'm not worried about the Raptor, Heavy Raider, Starbuck or Scar. I'll probably get those anyway. But my question is whether to get 1 each xpak or another Starter Kit?

One each xpak, and 1 control panel kit or one extra Starter Kit. The Starter Kit give you extra tokes, rules, etc for only a few dollars more. But if unique pilots, skills not in the Starter, etc are in the Standard Viper and Raider xpaks then if I got an extra Starter Kit I'd miss those unique cards.

I'm not worried about Starbuck, Scar, Heavy Raider, Raptor. Just comparing what comes in the standard Viper and Raider xpaks to what comes in a second Starter.
    Hmmm... Something to consider, as here in Canada, ship packs will be at the $20+ range. A friend just picked up the Starter Set from MeepleMart.ca for $52 Cdn. Even from Aerodrome Accessories, when you consider the exchange, not counting any fondling fees from Canadian Border Services, the Canadian source is cheaper. And, four ships, with another set of control panels and trimings, at less than the cost of three ships. It is definitely worth the accumulation of double ships, which you won't really notice on the table, without a magnifying glass in my case.

Just no new Talents and Flaws. Bummer.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. BoB base sizes
    By Boney10 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 06:34
  2. Measuring Range: base-to-base or stand-to-base?
    By ColoradoCoppens in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 23:51
  3. Gotha Base with AEG
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 06:20
  4. Using DoW as a base for a more Modern Style game
    By The Juggernaut in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 10:53
  5. Which WoW "Base Game" for starters ???
    By MadMajor in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 22:32