Ares Games

Thread: Viper Mk.VII

It looks like it will be a great model! Thank you for the information.

Is the 'Stealth Viper' also going to be produced, please?

I’m so excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It looks like it will be a great model! Thank you for the information.

Is the 'Stealth Viper' also going to be produced, please?
    Interestingly enough, in order to use the Blackbird Viper, Ares will have to put out a more complete rulebook, as the Blackbird only had a center-line rack for missiles or bombs, IIRC.

Missiles and other ordnance are mentioned in the Starter Set rulebook, but not covered.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quick release - Summer 2019?

...and we get Raptors and Heavy Raiders before?
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Interestingly enough, in order to use the Blackbird Viper, Ares will have to put out a more complete rulebook, as the Blackbird only had a center-line rack for missiles or bombs, IIRC.

Missiles and other ordnance are mentioned in the Starter Set rulebook, but not covered.
    Maybe there will be a set of rules in each one, like the WGS bombers did?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Maybe there will be a set of rules in each one, like the WGS bombers did?
    Karl
    Karl,
    That is an option. However, somewhere I read that all Vipers had missile/bomb capabilities, just not always used in the series.

In the episode "Resurrection Ship, Part II", the fighter is shown to have a hardpoint, which is used to deliver an anti-ship missile used to destroy the FTL drive on the Resurrection Ship.
    Source: Wikipedia - Colonial Blackbird

The Viper is armed with multiple kinetic energy weapons. Both known models have weapon hard points for mounting missiles under the wings.
    Source: Wikipedia - Colonial Viper

Follow-on Rulebook coming?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I suspect more likely an insert put in with relevant models. Punters are getting wise to the "you bought half a set of rules, now buy a few bits more" approach. To be honest I was surprised missiles weren't included from the outset since they make their appearance right from the start of the series. And the rules for them will exist, sensible rule designers will work up the complete set even if they don't publish it all in one go, to make sure the rules are coherent.
    Last edited by David Manley; 01-19-2019 at 02:28.

I do remember reading on the Facebook group about 10 days or so ago, Andrea mentioning about upcoming atmospheric rules and missile rules...certainly these rules would/could apply to any of the small ships in the game present and future, but it would kinda make sense to release them with the upcoming Raptors (and Heavy Raiders), as they are a very utility focused craft and would see a lot of atmospheric flight and I believe there is also a version of the Raptor that is armed with dedicated missile pods...so perhaps we will see these rules in just a couple/few months...

It has been said in the Facebook Group that the Mk VII will have better Acceleration and be more sturdy than the Mk II, and it was inferred that it would not be as manoeuvrable due to it having retrofitted software. Presumably, this means the Mk VII's in the game will be a direct representation of the Mk VII's in the TV series, rather than the Mk VII's generally found in the Colonial Forces outside of the TV series story line.

I wonder if the 3rd weapon mount will be taken into account and be reflected in the stats?

Guesses on stats?

Attack 6 (I don't think this will change, if it does, probably 5 - would the 3rd weapon perhaps allow a re-roll of a single D6?)
    Acceleration 4
    Structure 16