Ares Games

Thread: Mythical Flyer?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

Default Mythical Flyer?

Here’s a question…. Does anyone have everything? That’s all the official games, booster packs, planes etc? I’d like to know if I have an impossible dream…

Hmmm... might not be impossible. But, currently, I believe it will be expensive.

Tim [Flying Helmut] probably has everything, and more (more than one copy, and more than just the Nexus and Ares products). However, he has been part of the hobby from near the start?

PS: I did acquire all the Nexus boxed set with some hard scrounging when I joined the hobby in 2012 (through to 2015). I then acquired a second full set of boxes from someone leaving the hobby a few years ago, for a reaonable price. I haven't acquired a copy of every plane, but then, I didn't want planes that were not part of the Western Front (I have a few collected by accident, or for specific Ace Skill cards). I also didn't get all three of each type released, because I have storage and financial limitations.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-28-2021 at 08:40.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I have one of everything other than the T&T Starter-exclusive Nieuport either in-hand or on-order, except the reissues. WGS Squadron Packs, 2 each of most.

I've been in this game since not long after the beginning, though; your dream will be difficult and expensive but not totally impossible. I'd watch the classifieds here and at BoardGameGeek.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop33 View Post
    Does anyone have everything? That’s all the official games, booster packs, planes etc?
    I’d like to know if I have an impossible dream…
    I do …
    The whole collection is in France.
    As Impossible is not french, according to Napoleon 1er

Number of official WW1 figures : 200

WW1 WOW : 64
    (8 for the 2 Deluxe / 4 for the 2 Balloon Busters / 48 in 4 series / 4 promo pack)

WW1 WOG : 136
    (4 for the 2 Duel Pack / 120 in 10 series / 2 Nieuport 16 / 10 bombers)

Number of official WW2 figures: 96

WW2 WOW : 28
    (4 Deluxe / 24 in 2 series)

WW2 WOG : 68
    (4 for the Starter Set / 4 for Battle of Britain / 44 in 4 series / 4 Squadron Pack / 12 bombers)

And a few Adds-on, flame and smoke markers, Aerodrome rulers, Snoopy …

WW2 collection

WW1 collection

Last edited by monse; 09-28-2021 at 09:18.

Some people ought to get out more
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Some people ought to get out more
    He can't - there isn't enough room left to open the door!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

Tim [Flying Helmut] probably has everything, and more (more than one copy, and more than just the Nexus and Ares products). However, he has been part of the hobby from near the start?
    I have at least two of everything, except only one T&T Starter-exclusive Nieuport and one of each Sopwith Triplane.
    Many items are multiples.
    I have no life.
    I have no escape route.

I actually "discovered" Wings eight years late, totally by accident (Sherlochnumber1 - it's all his fault, blame him!) but spent a lot of time, effort and money "catching up"...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for all the replies chaps! Very impressive collections indeed. Realistically I’d like to get all of the games & cards. Can’t see me being able to collect all the aircraft though. Limitation as always will cost. But the joy will be in picking up a bargain every now and again… chocks away!

Someone should post pictures of the Gold and Silver presentation models to really get the saliver going.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Someone should post pictures of the Gold and Silver presentation models to really get the saliver going.
    Here they are.
    (Hold your breath )

SPAD XIII
    Baracca WOW107AGP

ALBATROS D.Va
    Udet WOW109A SP
    Weber WOW109B SP
    Jentsch WOW109C SP

The other thing I'd recommend, OP, is make friends particularly with older members here... inevitably we come to a point in life where we or our estates no longer have use for the miniatures, and if you build connections one of them might give you first shot at incorporating their collection into your own rather than fight with listing it all on eBay.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Here they are.
    (Hold your breath )

SPAD XIII
    Baracca WOW107AGP

ALBATROS D.Va
    Udet WOW109A SP
    Weber WOW109B SP
    Jentsch WOW109C SP

YOU TOOK YOURS OUT OF THEIR BOXES!!!!!!!!

I've kept all mine Mint In Box, unopened.

Tracking down every miniature at this point would be quite the chore! Luckily some members here helped to fill in some of the gaps. I don't have one of everything though. I do have several of some of my favorite planes. As Diamondback as recommended, picking up collections from those who have quit the game for whatever reason is your best opportunity to acquire some of the out of print material.

Here they are.
    (Hold your breath )

SPAD XIII
    Baracca WOW107AGP

ALBATROS D.Va
    Udet WOW109A SP
    Weber WOW109B SP
    Jentsch WOW109C SP

" WOW Simon ...(in French) " Quelle classe ! "
    According to Napoleon 1er :
    " Players, think that, from the top of this pyramid of W.O.W/W.O.G planes and playing cards, 17 years of models collection contemplate you

I have at least one of everything except 3 of the ones that came in the Wings of Glory WWII Starter set.
    i.e. all the original Nexus sets (multiple copies), Booster packs and Ares WGF/WGS minis, including T&T and Battlestar Galactica.
    I had a chance to get the set a few years ago but passed because I didn't like the mix of aircraft.

I started collecting in 2014 while a lot of Ares planes were still available, but managed to get some of the out-of-print items on eBay or from forum members unloading/thinning out their collections.

"Get 'em when you can."

Quote Originally Posted by Spad VII View Post
    According to Napoleon 1er :
    " Players, think that, from the top of this pyramid of W.O.W/W.O.G planes and playing cards, 17 years of models collection contemplate you
    Very funny !
    What an impressive imperial and historical reference.

For those who have all the miniatures ( Monse , Pete , Tim , etc )
    Curious to know, if you had one or two to choose to leave on a desert island what would be the miniatures you choose ?

And what are for you in WW1 & WW2 W.O.W/W.O.G the models that are the most successful design ?

Simon. All I can say is "WOW"

if you had one or two to choose to leave on a desert island what would be the miniatures you choose ?
    Definitely the Wings of Glory WW2 Starter Set, as I got it in late 2013 from an EBay player at a very decent price, while it was already out of stock in the games stores.
    And I find the P.40, the Yak and the Re.2001 quite well designed (I am not fond of the in-line engine Ki.61).

Name:  E01594FC-7631-4701-B0B2-1F0027DA21D5.jpeg
Views: 155
Size:  104.6 KB

And what are for you in WW1 & WW2 W.O.W/W.O.G the models that are the most successful design ?
    Name:  AA0EAD1F-1283-43D1-9C79-3101C50E33D8.jpeg
Views: 156
Size:  62.4 KB
    SPAD VII (GUYNEMER)

Name:  F931D3B2-E826-4183-BE41-BEF9709E5AF0.jpeg
Views: 150
Size:  61.8 KB
    ALBATROS D.II (SZEPESSY-SOKOLL)

Name:  F04E6E6E-A256-479E-AD5C-F11B2F29AA7B.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  69.8 KB
    BRISTOL F.2B FIGHTER (HARVEY/WAIGHT)

Name:  686E89EA-A19E-425C-BC43-4FBF51CF5AD0.jpeg
Views: 154
Size:  66.2 KB
    FOCKE-WULFE FW.190 D-13 (GÖTZ)

Name:  E8CEBB54-1109-4B22-93A2-CD34498908D0.jpeg
Views: 153
Size:  66.9 KB
    NAKAJIMA KI-84 HAYATE (IMOTO)

Name:  1F436BDB-1D9D-4B0F-9E0C-BB155EC88D65.jpeg
Views: 154
Size:  71.8 KB
    FIAT CR.42 (RINALDI)

Name:  BCB87E92-8B0B-487C-A556-5C9D04E9CF46.jpeg
Views: 157
Size:  69.0 KB
    BRISTOL BEAUFIGHTER MK.IF (BOYD)

Simon & Tim:

You have both insured your collections, yes? I hope.

Definitely the Wings of Glory WW2 Starter Set, as I got it in late 2013 from an EBay player at a very decent price, while it was already out of stock in the games stores.
    And I find the P.40, the Yak and the Re.2001 quite well designed (I am not fond of the in-line engine Ki.61).

Name:  E01594FC-7631-4701-B0B2-1F0027DA21D5.jpeg
Views: 155
Size:  104.6 KB
    I find it ironic that the set I passed over is the one you would take to a desert island.

I guess my favourites are the Nexus SE.5a (Bishop) and the Nexus Fokker D.VII that Tim so generously repainted for me in Jasta 18 colours. (out of the box it would be the Nexus Shafer)

I believe that I have everything apart from the gold and silver presentation models but they are not all in pristine condition because I have been using them.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

I’m not a fan of the presentation models ( I would personally repaint them). Well done on collecting all the aircraft! I’m with you on the should be used rather than pristine in a box.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop33 View Post
    I’m not a fan of the presentation models ( I would personally repaint them). Well done on collecting all the aircraft! I’m with you on the should be used rather than pristine in a box.
    What!!! Those totally rare presentation models would be painted over?? That would be like getting presented with a genuine Oscar and painting him to use in a game Warhammer.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

The Oscar definitely needs a few coats of paint ��

Similar Missions

1. Central England Hello from a new flyer
    By Ringbolt in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-13-2014, 14:55
  2. Hello from a new flyer
    By Trumpet in forum UK Wing