Ares Games

Thread: Which is your preferred Bristol F.2b in-game?

Default Which is your preferred Bristol F.2b in-game?

I read in Cross & Cockade Volume 1, Number 1, and in a separate thread at The Aerodrome, that whilst the twin-Lewis gun firepower for the observer of the Bristol F.2b was "highly desirable", oxygen deprivation above 8000 feet "prevented the rear gunner from swinging the mounting fast enough in combat" and above 15,000 feet "it became physically impossible". This insight was provided by Major Harvey of Ares' WGF201A himself!

I confess I've always associated twin-Lewis guns for the observer with the Bristol F.2b, probably from some photos I'd seen and because it seems more "aggressive".

Harvey also observes that the F.2b performed best "in their natural element of twelve thousand to twenty thousand ft. where their true qualities became apparent" and this is borne out by it often flying top cover, including to SE5as, certainly within 80 Wing. Cross & Cockade Volume 23, Number 1's article "A Month With 4 Squadron Australian Flying Corps" states "88 Sqn's Bristol Fighters were also brought into the system, forming a third layer of aircraft above the SE5s." The same article states the majority of 2 AFC's claims with the SE5a during this period occurred above 16,500 feet, indicating the F.2bs were probably operating even higher.

So my question is, despite oxygen playing no role in Wings of Glory, for the "Biff" aficionados among you, which of the three Bristol F.2bs do you regard as best performing in-game?

I currently have WGF201A and C in my collection, and will soon be experimenting with both, though C first, as I regard twin-Lewis guns for the observer being more common than the field-mounted forward firing Lewis for the pilot of A. However, the Biff's historical role at high altitude, as I've recently come to understand it, is making me reconsider how common twin-Lewis guns for the observer would actually have been, especially when tasked as a "fighter" in the manner of 88 Squadron above.
    Last edited by Flying_Corpse; 10-19-2021 at 11:23.

The "best-performing" Bristol Fighter in the "Wings" game is undoubtedly the Home Defence night-fighter model, fitted with 3 forward guns (two on the upper wing) and a twin gun rear mount; 5 guns in all! This plane is represented in the game by a plane card found in the "Crossfire" card booster, produced by 'Nexus'. It fires 'A' + 'B' forward, and 'A' rear.

It performs the best because 'Nexus' and 'Ares' don't account for the extra weight of the extra guns (unless it is a Central Powers plane ), so still allow it the same 'S' manoeuvre deck as the other, more lightly-armed F.2b planes.

Of the three 'Ares' models, the Palestine 'B' front 'A' rear is the best, and is also the most fun (in my opinion) - trying to get ahead of an enemy, then turning arse-on to him to utilise the 'A' firing rear guns!

The 'B/B' night-fighter is the weakest of the three 'Ares' models.

The 'A/B' model is my personal pet hate!
    Not only is it not penalised for the extra weight and drag of the wing-top gun, and also that gun is on a fixed mount, so it cannot be pulled down to the cockpit to reload or to clear a jam, but in addition ONLY ONE SUCH AIRCRAFT WAS EVER FITTED WITH IT!
    The pilot, Harvey, "invented" the mounting for the extra gun, and flew it on only ONE SINGLE MISSION.
    He found that the mounting interfered with the magnetic compass mounted on the trailing edge of the top wing centre section, so that malfunctioned and he almost didn't find his way back to his aerodrome!
    Upon landing, he and his ground crew removed the gun mounting and "threw it on the rubbish heap"!

So, this configuration can only be one single plane, on one single mission.

I have cut the extra gun off all my Harvey/Waight Bristols, except for that one (even though I hate its inclusion in 'Ares' output, my OCD demands that I own one, just for completion).
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Corpse View Post
    Which is your preferred Bristol F.2b in-game?
    The one trailing flame & heading to the hard deck usually.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

Which is your preferred Bristol F.2b in-game?
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

So what would happen if you get a gun jam on the AB/A variant? Presumably the front B gun should remain jammed for the rest of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    So what would happen if you get a gun jam on the AB/A variant? Presumably the front B gun should remain jammed for the rest of the game?
    The 'B' gun is mounted within the engine cowling, and the pilot has access to the breech for the clearing of jams,

It's the 'A' firing twin guns on the top wing which can't be reloaded or unjammed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    You'd be firing A & B guns - If the jam is on the B damage card you would be able to unjam that gun as Tim says. If the jam is on the A damage card you'd lose one of those over-wing Lewis guns. This would leave you with just A guns overall from the Vickers in the nose and the remaining Lewis gun. If you get another jam you either roll for which takes the jam or decide it's the remaining over-wing Lewis gun (as most likely to jam) and continue with just the Vickers gun in the nose.
    Last edited by flash; 10-20-2021 at 08:44.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

You'd be firing A & B guns - If the jam is on the B damage card you would be able to unjam that gun as Tim says. If the jam is on the A damage card you'd lose one of those over-wing Lewis guns. This would leave you with just A guns overall from the Vickers in the nose and the remaining Lewis gun. If you get another jam you either roll for which takes the jam or decide it's the remaining over-wing Lewis gun (as most likely to jam) and continue with just the Vickers gun in the nose.
    That's correct if you use the House Rule for possible single gun jams in a twin gun system.

If you use the basic rules as written, the 'A' gun pair are both jammed if your target draws a jam on an 'A' damage card received, and the pilot can't get to them to clear them so can't unjam either of them; so the plane continues in the fight as a 'B' front 'A' rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    The "best-performing" Bristol Fighter in the "Wings" game is undoubtedly the Home Defence night-fighter model, fitted with 3 forward guns (two on the upper wing) and a twin gun rear mount; 5 guns in all! This plane is represented in the game by a plane card found in the "Crossfire" card booster, produced by 'Nexus'. It fires 'A' + 'B' forward, and 'A' rear.

It performs the best because 'Nexus' and 'Ares' don't account for the extra weight of the extra guns (unless it is a Central Powers plane ), so still allow it the same 'S' manoeuvre deck as the other, more lightly-armed F.2b planes.

Of the three 'Ares' models, the Palestine 'B' front 'A' rear is the best, and is also the most fun (in my opinion) - trying to get ahead of an enemy, then turning arse-on to him to utilise the 'A' firing rear guns!

The 'B/B' night-fighter is the weakest of the three 'Ares' models.

The 'A/B' model is my personal pet hate!
    Not only is it not penalised for the extra weight and drag of the wing-top gun, and also that gun is on a fixed mount, so it cannot be pulled down to the cockpit to reload or to clear a jam, but in addition ONLY ONE SUCH AIRCRAFT WAS EVER FITTED WITH IT!
    The pilot, Harvey, "invented" the mounting for the extra gun, and flew it on only ONE SINGLE MISSION.
    He found that the mounting interfered with the magnetic compass mounted on the trailing edge of the top wing centre section, so that malfunctioned and he almost didn't find his way back to his aerodrome!
    Upon landing, he and his ground crew removed the gun mounting and "threw it on the rubbish heap"!

So, this configuration can only be one single plane, on one single mission.

I have cut the extra gun off all my Harvey/Waight Bristols, except for that one (even though I hate its inclusion in 'Ares' output, my OCD demands that I own one, just for completion).
    Thanks Tim, I didn't realise Harvey's field-mounted Lewis only lasted one mission, though I had read somewhere that over-wing guns interfered with the compass in the trailing edge. I'll probably take a less purist approach and just play WGF201A out of the box, for now. Having said that, I'll start my experimentation with 1 AFC's Headlam / Beaton (WGF201C) this evening and see how I go.
    Last edited by Flying_Corpse; 10-20-2021 at 18:17.

Now, now. That's why it has Lewis gun/s in the back, to return the favour!

My first CP opponent will be an Albatros D.Va. If I send it down in flames this evening, I'll be sure to post a picture here

Well... (pauses to take a very deep breath)

The more guns the better, every time, so it has to be the AB/A firing nightfighter version, especially fun for shooting down Zeppelins.
    All I ever hear from those who usually fly for the Hun, is blah, blah, blah, house rule, house rule, house rule. Who cares about weight, oxygen levels and production numbers... ITS NOT REAL. These are largely the same chaps who will happily fly twin gun Albatrosses and the like against single gun Spads and Nieuports grinning maniacally at their superior firepower. So suck it up guys it’s payback time.

The F2b is great fun to fly, A firing rear guns are always amusing, it can pull an Immelmann and is bloody quick, I’ve only got eight of them so am still a novice. Oh and it looks pretty... If we have a game where Aces that never met fight each other then I can fly a bunch of planes that never flew together (because there was allegedly only 1)... so there !!!

Now waiting for abuse, lol

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Poetically, perhaps, the twin-Lewis guns of Beaton do their job:
    Name:  IMG_3727.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  86.0 KB

And the Albatros D.Va plummets towards the ground:
    Name:  IMG_3728.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  70.0 KB
    Last edited by Flying_Corpse; 10-21-2021 at 03:16.

Delighted to hear it....

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. The Bristol - AAR
    By Vagabond in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-30-2018, 03:53
  2. WGF Your preferred Camel as a repaint
    By Nightbomber in forum Colors and Markings
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-17-2016, 12:57
  3. Bristol F2.B Questions (game and history)
    By tppytel in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 20:45
  4. Preferred Table Type?
    By Jack Hooligan in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 16:55
  5. BRISTOL F2b Video ffrorm Rise fo Flight Game
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 00:23