Ares Games

Thread: Cold Wars 16-18 March 2018

Default Cold Wars 16-18 March 2018

Greeting all. This year Cold Wars will be held 14-17 March.

Cold Wars web site 'HERE'

I'll be running 4 Wings games, two WW2 on Friday, two WWI games Saturday. Saturday night a Zeppelin will appear in a game run by Mike Jacobs. (mikejr74)

Any Aerodrome members please feel free to drop in. Even if you can't play come say hi.

F: 278: 18 - Tigers Over Burma
    Friday, 6:00 PM, 2 hrs, Players: 12 players
    GM: Peter Landry, Sponsor:
    Period: World War II, Scale: 1/200th, Rules: Wings of Glory
    WW2
    The famed Flying Tigers of the AVG began it's claim to fame
    over Burma against the Japanese. The Japanese quickly
    found them to be a nuisance and sent a force to attack their
    base. They quickly found this volunteer group to be a
    formidable foe.

F: 279: 20 - Tigers in China
    Friday, 8:00 PM, 2 hrs, Players: 12 players
    Period: World War II, Scale: 1/200th, Rules: Wings of Glory
    WW2
    The AVG went on the offensive often to protect it's base and
    the nearby Chinese Army units from intruding Japanese flyers.
    This mission is a ground support role, one that they did not
    particularly like. Buckle up pilots, the ride may be bumpy!

S: 280: 12 - Aerodrome Raid!
    Saturday, 12:00 PM, 2 hrs, Players: 12 players
    Period: World War I, Scale: 1/144th, Rules: Wings of Glory
    WWI
    The USAS finally could take no more of the harassing raids on
    their airfields. An early morning raid on a Hun Jasta field was
    planned to hit while the morning patrols were away.

S: 282: 15 - Two Seater Trouble
    Saturday, 3:00 PM, 2 hrs, Players: 12 players
    Period: World War I, Scale: 1/144th, Rules: Wings of Glory
    WWI
    A patrol of scouts runs into an enemy patrol mistaking it's two
    seaters for scouts. Should be, no trouble right? Take a nimble
    scout and fly circles around the cumbersome tandems, or have
    a sting in your tail and teach those uppity scout jocks a lesson.

S: 447: 19 - Zeppelin Raid
    Saturday, 7:00 PM, 2 hrs, Players: 14 players
    GM: Mike Jacobs, Sponsor:
    Period: World War I, Scale: 1:144th, Rules: Wings of Glory
    WWI
    It's March 16 1917 LZ 39 has been spotted over Kent and its
    time to bring it down. But watch out 30 minutes later LZ 35
    shows up to inflect her damage. Join the 39 Squadron to
    defend England.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-16-2019 at 17:01.

Thanks for leading me to this thread. Easier then looking through the list on the Cold Wars site.

One week from now I'll be on the final stretch driving down to Lancaster. 10 1/2 hours if is goes like driving to Fall In. Hope to see a few familiar faces.

I'll be there.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Cold Wars is almost upon us. Friday and Saturday we get to fly!

Hope to see every Aerodrome member that attends. Even if you can't fly please stop by to say hi.

heading up on Friday. Buffalo's/Sally's and P40's all packed and ready to go. I have 6 but only 3 have bearings. Will 3 be ok ?

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Hope it's carefree travel and a wonderful time, Peter! Have a blast - I know anyone who plays in one of your games will

All the best,
    Matt

Matt his games are great and always draw a crowd. I do OK in the WWII games but seem to be a dud in the WWI games. At Fall In my scout flew between 2 bombers and all I can say was that was the end.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    heading up on Friday. Buffalo's/Sally's and P40's all packed and ready to go. I have 6 but only 3 have bearings. Will 3 be ok ?
    3 will work. I am short 2 Buffalos and 3 Sallys. I have fill-ins to use if we can't get yours on my bases.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Matt his games are great and always draw a crowd. I do OK in the WWII games but seem to be a dud in the WWI games. At Fall In my scout flew between 2 bombers and all I can say was that was the end.
    Ah yes, a memorable moment. Thats all it took for your plane to be shredded, a moment!
    8 'B' damage cards, very impressive.
    Sorry Bob, just had to post it.

Name:  Bob's demise.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  179.0 KB
    Last edited by Teaticket; 03-12-2019 at 16:44.

Hey I brought it up so good to see. Well have 6 Buffalo's and the Sally's will fit your base since they have bearings. So all is good.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Peter's games at Origins have always been spectacular, Bob - I have never had the pleasure of playing in one, unfortunately...I think next year I need to put Historicon or one of the other East Coast conventions on my to-do list...I haven't been to Historicaon since the early 90s...

Have a blast this weekend!
    All the best,
    Matt

Everyone that has 'Badges', bring them! This will be the 5th year that I have been passing them out. Your ribbons will now mean something...if you bring them!

Yes, Matt, one of these years you'll have to get into one of my games. You've done a very fine job avoiding them.

Peter I just checked my Badges and my first badge is Cold Wars 2017. Seems like more then that but I guess when you meet great people and have a great game you don't realize that it isn't that long. With all the Badges I have I look like a North Korean general. See you Friday.

Matt I was at Origins when Andy (from Poland) was there. might have to plan a trip there again.

Bob, the badges add up fast when you play as many game as you do! You'll have to plan on an Origins. More Wings games there than you can play.

Pete,

Good luck this weekend. I cannot make it to PA this time around, but I hope to see you in June at Origins.

John

Back from Cold Wars and had a great time. I am sure Peter will post AAR's on the games we played. The one thing I will post is that in the first game I had a Nate that was hit by a P-40 on the first card. So I took 2 B's worth of damage. Nate takes 13 damage points. So I draw an 8 & 5 = 13. Shot down on the first card without a BOOM.

Had a great time at Cold Wars; Peter filled all his games gain. They looked great.
    The Zeppelin game run by John was great too.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Had a great time at Cold Wars; Peter filled all his games gain. They looked great.
    The Zeppelin game run by John was great too.
    Karl
    I'll get photos up later today/tomorrow.

Small correction, Mike (mikejr74) ran the Zeppelin game. He put 2 Zeps on the table and had a 3rd if needed. We downed the first quite handily but didn't have the time to get much on the 2nd. John's first shot put a BOOM on the beast and it went downhill from there of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I'll get photos up later today/tomorrow.

Small correction, Mike (mikejr74) ran the Zeppelin game. He put 2 Zeps on the table and had a 3rd if needed. We downed the first quite handily but didn't have the time to get much on the 2nd. John's first shot put a BOOM on the beast and it went downhill from there of it.
    Just my usual issues with names. At least I got one of their names right
    And not to brag, but Peter and I found the sweet spot on the Zepp: cruising along it's base were it's guns couldn't reach us, and gunning it at close range a couple phases, then a reversal, and repeat
    Karl

yes you guys took out the gunners and then hit one of the cells to catch it on fire. Mike was so worried about running a game but it was good even though I only got a few shots in I enjoyed it. The games got me fired up that I just placed an order with Shapeways, AIM and MISCMINI for decals. Then I primed 4 DB-7's and 2 A-20G's that I got before the con. Son now I have a few things to keep me busy for the next few weeks.

Yeah, after every con I get hyped up and want to order some new planes! What will I order this time?

Quote Originally Posted by rolld6 View Post
    Pete,

Good luck this weekend. I cannot make it to PA this time around, but I hope to see you in June at Origins.

John
    Sorry you couldn't make it John., Hope Origins in June is a go. There will be many great games to play there.

Similar Missions

1. National: Cold Wars 16-18 March 2018
    By Teaticket in forum US Wing
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-08-2018, 11:44
  2. COLD WARS
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2018, 14:36
  3. National: Cold Wars 2017
    By Teaticket in forum US Wing
    Replies: 35