Ares Games

Thread: dive bonus

Default dive bonus

when I was playing WGF on the weekend at epic loot there was a brief discussion on diving and advantages it would bring. my idea is that after playing and executing the dive you use the stall maneuver as a speed extender but disregarding the fact that the maneuver played was a stall (in which case you can still plan a stall straight after) and you could also give the aircraft additional firepower bonus based on the fact that he was diving

these are just my thoughts that im throwing out there for some feedback to see if it would work

cheers

Assuming one plays with altitude, a +1 for firing from above is a thing (it's an official rule, I think)...

Just checked, and it's on page 17 of the WGS rulebook (don't have the WGF rulebook handy, but I doubt it would be all that different):

FIRING FROM ABOVE
    If an airplane fires at a target that is in its front arc on a lower altitude level, it receives the aim bonus (the target must take one additional "A" damage counter -- this would be +1 damage in WGF, I believe), even if it's the first turn of fire. The same bonus applies to an airplane firing in the front arc after it executes any dive, and after the straight maneuver of an overdive.

So the extra damage idea certainly works. I think the length of the dive (longest card in the deck, along with the straight) is intended to model the aircraft moving faster, just on a downward diagonal.

Quote Originally Posted by the black devil View Post
    when I was playing WGF on the weekend at epic loot there was a brief discussion on diving and advantages it would bring. my idea is that after playing and executing the dive you use the stall maneuver as a speed extender but disregarding the fact that the maneuver played was a stall (in which case you can still plan a stall straight after) and you could also give the aircraft additional firepower bonus based on the fact that he was diving

these are just my thoughts that im throwing out there for some feedback to see if it would work

cheers
    That's been discussed a lot in the past Esa, have a search & you should turn up a few threads on the subject with lots of similar suggestions.
    The firepower bonus, as Chris says, is an official option - check p.19 of your WGF RAP that Jim got you.

"He is wise who watches"

thanks I will, must be blind as I didn't see that rule

Here are some links I found that cover your idea about a dive extension Esa - have a browse & see what you think.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ve-speed-bonus
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...the-Dive-cards
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ude-House-Rule

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Steep-Dive House Rule (different to Over-Dive)
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 13:04
  2. Dive speed bonus?
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-18-2013, 04:39
  3. Aim bonus query
    By skywatcher in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2013, 23:30
  4. Aim bonus for WW II bombers