Ares Games

Thread: Flight of the giants

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Default Flight of the giants

For Christmas my wife got me not one but two Zeppelin Staaken R.VI's. Today I managed to get one of them to the table, in a modified (to give both German players something to do in the second part) of the three-part scenario included in the box. The bombs missed their targets but the Staaken made it home and enough English scouts were shot down that the Germans still ended up ahead on points. It helped that QA on the English ammunition evidently wasn't up to snuff - they got an awful lot of jams.

The XA deck being ... lacking in variety, I'd been a bit concerned flying the giant itself would be rather boring, but I found there still some interesting decisions to do. And I clearly need to practice on getting the bombs to end up where I want them ...

Quote Originally Posted by Artaxerxes View Post
    For Christmas my wife got me not one but two Zeppelin Staaken R.VI's...
    Excellent haul!

...And I clearly need to practice on getting the bombs to end up where I want them ...
    The Staaken are surprisingly quick. The base size has to be accounted for, and I usually forget...

Thumbs up

Lucky You! Nice present.
    I have the Blue one & we enjoy trying to shoot it down.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Excellent haul!

The Staaken are surprisingly quick. The base size has to be accounted for, and I usually forget...

indeed. in an origins scenario intercepting staakens, i was flying an se5a. well, of course, i got an engine hit and couldnt catch up to it.

"The Staaken are surprisingly quick. The base size has to be accounted for, and I usually forget... "[/QUOTE]

The tiny arrows on the manoeuvre cards are very deceptive. As you say - look at the size of the base!!!
    Last edited by Windy Jack; 01-07-2019 at 03:27. Reason: Clarify the quotation.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

It's also tricky that the difference between a straight and a stall is so small: you don't have a lot of control of your speed.

... and I just realized we've probably been playing the bombing rules wrong. Announcing that you're going to drop your bombs "[b]efore revealing any maneuver" probably means you can announce before immediately before any manoeuvre card, incl a 2nd or 3rd one, not that you must announce before revealing any of your cards for that turn, i.e. that you can only announce before the 1st manoeuvre phase, right?

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    indeed. in an origins scenario intercepting staakens, i was flying an se5a. well, of course, i got an engine hit and couldnt catch up to it.
    Last time I went up against a Staaken over London, I discovered that the Strutter (Comic) didn't have the legs to catch the Giant once I'd turned the wrong way (darn night fighting rules) and had to reorient. It would have happened, we just would have needed more maps!

... and I just realized we've probably been playing the bombing rules wrong. Announcing that you're going to drop your bombs "[b]efore revealing any maneuver" probably means you can announce before immediately before any manoeuvre card, incl a 2nd or 3rd one
    Yep. Whichever card you want, just announce before that specific card.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Yep. Whichever card you want, just announce before that specific card.
    Thank you

Similar Missions

1. Flight of Giants
    By John B in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-2012, 13:32
  2. Flight of Giants, Buy or Not Buy?
    By Evad 77 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 02:29
  3. WGF: Flight of Giants
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements