Ares Games

Thread: Question for unofficial stats gurus

Default Question for unofficial stats gurus

Nor quite sure where this fits, so I dropped it here. Please redirect as/if needed. Having now spent many hours researching, developing, and producing scenarios, rules, stats for WWII Combat Gliders ( a work still in progress) I have had to reverse engineer a number of things based on available stats for currently available ARES planes and extrapolate from there. As I moved beyond a single plane (WACO CG-4) into other gliders of various sizes and capacities, it quickly became evident that a consistent set of factors and assumptions across aircraft was required. Knowing that Smart People on the forum have already done this for a wide range of unofficial aircraft, and wanting to maintain compatibility with both available and unofficial aircraft, have we published somewhere on the Forum a set of Factors and Assumptions that guide the creation of stats for unofficial planes? How do we take published stats for real-world craft and convert them into speed, ceiling, and damage for example? What real-world speeds are used (e.g., VNE, published Max, Cruise, etc., and in what configurations, at what altitudes)
    Any/all assistance appreciated.

Hmm.... difficult for me to fully answer, some things are openly known, and some not so much.
    Ceiling is in kilometers +1 rounded to the nearest.
    Damage is empty weight in Kts times 2 plus 12. However, gliders are much flimsier than airplanes, so I would think much less.
    I have not followed your threads on gliders; have you done a method for them losing speed, or are you trading speed for height constantly?
    This would be a big problem with our game engine, and changing speeds.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

For the gliders, there is no climb, just a loss of one peg every 4 maneuvers, except for dive which works as normal. They are all so slow you need to use the alternate movement card process pioneered by others on the 'drome.

Well, with the CG-4 at 1,769 kg, that would make the hits at 15; I'd be tempted to say -4 or -5 due to the lightness of construction, so a 10-11.
    Really, if an opposing fighter gets in among these before drop, or worst, after, they are dead meat.
    I can't recall any recorded instance of gliders flying into aerial opposition.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

As regards speed, is "Fast" based on published Maximum Speed at sea level? How about Slow? Is that based on a published number, a fixed percentage of fast, or some other set of factors entirely? (e.g., a "cruise speed")

Similar Missions

1. WW2 unofficial stats list
    By Guntruck in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-29-2016, 08:41
  2. WGS unofficial stats
    By johnbiggles in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-20-2014, 17:00
  3. WGF Unofficial stats tweaked
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 20