Ares Games

Thread: OTT DYM - Mission 1 - Luftwachdienst-Sperrflug - 5th January 1916 by flash

Default OTT DYM - Mission 1 - Luftwachdienst-Sperrflug - 5th January 1916 by flash

After a short briefing by Uncle the the balloon attack is on and 2Lt Jarris takes to the sky over the front for the first time. He's been very fortunate to be given Uncles Bristol Scout, recently fitted with an over-wing Lewis gun imitating similar arrangements on the French Nieuport 11. "It's a joy to fly, much easier than the Morane's the other chaps will be using, try and bring it back won't you old chap" said Uncle kindly.

Heading out that morning to take on the onerous task of taking down the balloons - or "pricking the sausages" as one of the chaps put it are the following Bulldogs:
    Nearest the camera 2Lt Hugh Jarris in the Bristol scout; 2Lt Alistair Gaither in the Morane Saulnier with the black nose & their leader Lt William Foldes in the Morane Saulnier with the red nose.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0641.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	260481

The defending Eagles:
    Obltn Johannes Achilles to the left in the striped Fokker E.III und Ltn Hans-Eberhardt Gossner to the right in the plain model

Name:	SAM_0642.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	260482

The Bratties !

Name:	SAM_0643.JPG 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	260483

Jarris is concentrating so hard on keeping his machine in formation & watching his instruments he actually misses the initial turn, as he does turn after his comrades Archie welcomes him to the front. "Blooming heck, that was a mite close for comfort"

Name:	SAM_0645.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	260484

Gaither suffers a near miss by Archie just as they leave no mans land too - "Fritz is getting his eye in early"

Name:	SAM_0655.JPG 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	260485

As the Eagles stalk their prey Jarris takes a heavy blow from Archie - shrapnel all but shreds his machine ! "That's not cricket, I've barely got to the crease !"

Name:	SAM_0656.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	260486

Just as Foldes opens up on the first target the Eagles finally swoop in from above and the first shots are exchanged... wingman covers wingman

Name:	SAM_0658.JPG 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	260487

His machine trashed by Archie, Jarris has no alternative but to turn back to base, he manages a desultory burst at the balloon in the vain hope of causing some catastrophic damage but it's not to be - at least he got close enough to have a go.

Name:	SAM_0661.JPG 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	260488

Whilst Jarris heads for home; Foldes & Gaither pile on to the balloon, Foldes' gun jams straight away.
    (Jarris & the Huns both get some attention from Archie but the shots miss.)

Name:	SAM_0662.JPG 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	260489

Jarris seeing evil intent in the way the pair of Fokker's circle round dives for home to escape their attentions " Cheerio chaps"

Name:	SAM_0667.JPG 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	260490

As the Scout slips out of harms way beneath them Achilles, the Fokker lead, opens up on Gaither as he crosses his nose and does some damage...

Name:	SAM_0670.JPG 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	260491

The Fokker lead, shadowed by his number two takes another shot at Gaither but causes no damage this time

Name:	SAM_0671.JPG 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	260492

Gaither Immels almost above the lead Fokker in a brave effort to return the favour but his shots do no damage.

Name:	SAM_0674.JPG 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	260493

Foldes gets behind the Fokker pair and lets them know he's there by ripping out some of Gussman's tail feathers

Name:	SAM_0676.JPG 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	260494

Gaither finding himself in some space opens up at long range on the first balloon and his gun jams.. "Buggeration"

Name:	SAM_0677.JPG 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	260495

His guns jammed, Gaither can only brace himself for punishment as Achilles takes him head on but he gets away with it

Name:	SAM_0678.JPG 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	260496

Meanwhile Jarris slips back across the lines and heads for base, grateful to have survived his first contact with the enemy and quite pleased he'd got to have a go at the sausage.
    (Gossner takes some Archie as he strays near the left gun but the shot is not near enough to worry him)

Name:	SAM_0681.JPG 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	260497

Foldes rolls in and makes a strafing run alongside the balloon, whilst his first shots were ineffective the subsequent bursts were very successful from his point of view.

Name:	SAM_0682.JPG 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	260498 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0684.JPG 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	260499

Foldes has a go at the second balloon as he sets up to Immel back on the first but even at close range he appears to do no damage

Name:	SAM_0688.JPG 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	260500

Making their second pass on the balloon both Morane pilots score hits, Gaither is rewarded with a flicker of flame !
    (Gossner strays into the other flack zone - of the shots from two guns, one is close but one is wide & they do no damage)

Name:	SAM_0690.JPG 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	260501

As he unsuccessfully strafes the balloon Foldes gets some close attention from the lead Fokker as he circles in

Name:	SAM_0692.JPG 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	260503 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0693.JPG 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	260502

Gaither takes a pot at a passing Fokker as he flies away from his successful attack on the first balloon but does no damage to Gossner's machine,
    (AA from a pair of guns flies wide of Gaither as he switches his attention to the second balloon.)

Name:	SAM_0694.JPG 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	260504

Shrapnel from a long range effort of the left AA gun catches Gossner as he gives chase to Gaither and much to his consternation he hears a clang up front and his engine begins to misfire...

Name:	SAM_0697.JPG 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	260505

Achilles having headed straight on from his last attack gets a shot on Gaither as he heads into attack the second balloon but he does nothing more than jam his gun.
    (Over the next few seconds the other AA guns, seeing their neighbours had fired at the monoplane above, open up on the two friendly Fokker's but do no further damage to either of them).

Name:	SAM_0698.JPG 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	260506

Both British planes run in on the second balloon guns blazing but have no affect at long range, only Foldes seems to achieve some damage when he gets closer in

Name:	SAM_0702.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	260507

Fire finally consumes the first balloon and it subsides to the ground spewing gaseous fire & pungent black smoke.

Name:	SAM_0704.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	260508

Pulling out from their Immels both British pilots open up at close range and pepper the balloon, whilst Achilles gets in a close range snap shot on Gaither

Name:	SAM_0706.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	260509

Gaither immels almost directly over the balloon and manages a close range burst as the Hun leader circles.
    (Foldes escapes another close effort by Archie, the other AA has another pop at Achilles as he circles back to re-engage but it's no where close.)

Name:	SAM_0707.JPG 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	260510

Foldes then turns in for another go at the balloon as Gaither Immels once more

Name:	SAM_0710.JPG 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	260512

Gaither meets the Fokker head on once more & takes enough damage to force him home

Name:	SAM_0711.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	260513

AA peppers the air as the bold flyers make their escape from Hunland but no damage is done

Name:	SAM_0712.JPG 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	260514

Moments later a last shot from the middle gun fortunately misses Herr Oberleutnant - his rage will know no bounds when he finally gets on the phone to the artillery commander And a final shot from the AA, wide of the mark, sends Foldes & Gaither on their way.

Name:	SAM_0717.JPG 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	260515

2LtHugh Jarris, FRTB-D 0 kills
    Lt William Foldes RTB 0 kills
    2Lt Alistair Gaither FRTB-D 1 Kill

Name:	SAM_0720.JPG 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	260516

Obltn Johannes Achilles RTB 0 kills
    Ltn Hans-Eberhardt Gossner - FRTB-E 0 kills

Name:	SAM_0721.JPG 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	260517

Balloon destroyed by fire

Name:	SAM_0722.JPG 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	260519

Surviving balloon, abandoned by spotters, badly damaged & hauled down

Name:	SAM_0723.JPG 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	260520

VP:
    Bulldogs -2 for FRTB; +5 for balloon destroyed = 3
    Eagles -1FRTB +5 for balloon surviving = 4

Somehow a victory for the Germans !
    Though you could argue the mission was over before Gaither left the field which would leave it as a glorious draw.

I flew Jarris by the way. As usual, combat between planes peg top peg, peg to base on balloons. Used my own alt rules & nicked Johns idea of making the rookies more useless by delaying reactions & weening out some cards from the deck. All in all a fun bash - really didn't expect to do so well, think where I went wrong was using 3 C decks - a lot of zeroes came up ! Thanks Neil :hatsoff:
    Last edited by flash; 01-05-2019 at 09:11.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

First out of the blocks there Dave.
    A Pyrrric victory to the Germans but a kill to the Bulldogs Great AAR to start the new year and campaign.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Cracking good start to the New Year Dave, and whatever you say a bloody nose for the Huns by Godfrey. Never too early for a good old scrimmage now the new shooting season is underway nor for a bit of Rep.What!
    Let the chaps crack open a few drinks on my account tonight.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well done, Dave.
    You did much better than was implied by your post last week.

Nice to have matching sausages - mine will have to be one of each.
    (one of these times I will win the Lend Lease raffle ...)

Hope to get mine played next weekend. Got a lot of prep to get done, including adding RFC roundels to some of my Moranes.
    If I run out of time they may be wearing French as 'borrowed' kites.
    Toying with the idea of trying John/Tim's rookie modified decks - how did you handle 'illegal' moves for the AI due to missing cards?
    Of course if only my pilot is a rookie that is a moot point.
    Maybe one rookie is enough for this first go ...

Nicely played Dave.

Hope the house move proceeds well. All the best in your move and new endeavors.

I will have to play mine in February, sorry, but work, prep for Vapnartak and Karen booking a holiday this month has killed my spare time!
    See you on the Dark Side......

Good to see the beginning of the new campaign. Close, but somehow the bloody Hun squeeked this one out. At least he has one less gasbag to put aloft.

Your rookie accounted himself well.

Though the score told one tale, I thought results painted another... all of the lads made it home to fight and fly again, and they flamed one German gasbag. Your rookie brought his damaged kite home, gaining valuable experience in doing so. All-in-all, seems like a good first day for the Bulldogs, "numbers" be damned.

Though they chased off the Tommies, can't help but think the Germans are going to be hungry to level the scales.

Nicely flown, and a great first entry!

Thumbs up

I really enjoyed your AAR story Dave & the action was full on.
    Archie was fairly ineffective except for your Rookie & one of the Fokkers.
    You really deserved a Win in that one with a balloon destroyed.
    Rep Inbound.

First one under the belt and everyone survived - well done Dave, great story and a close run thing.

The result shows how well balanced the scenario was, with Archie effectivity removing one plane from each side. As Pete said from your comments earlier I expected you to have done badly, so this result was a nice surprise.
    Your balloons look really good there and the flames when you finally managed to send one down were very picturesque, or should I say cinematic which is the "in" word at the moment.
    I noticed the delayed reaction from your rookie early on and then he took the hit playing no further part in the action which is a bit of a shame, as we don't get an idea how the additional handicap would have affected things. Of course this was good for him as he gains some experience helping him survive in the future, which should prove realistic in the campaign.

You seem to think that having 3 C decks might have given you a skewed result, I've just made 3 sets of chits for each deck to use in these games to get a more unpredictable result, I wonder if I should rethink that?

There's just one question regarding the Morane's and their timeline, I know they had been in French service for quite a while but I understood that they didn't get used by the British until about June 1916. The reason for the question is that I only have 2FE2b's for this game and so they would have a 2 to 1 plane advantage and I think that 3 to 2 would give a better balance although I've virtually no knowledge of how effective Archie is in the game. It looks as if the the solo rules are more effective than the rulebook rules!

I've been in two minds about using a borrowed French Morane or not partly for my perception of the balance and partly because I want both my new Fokker EIII's on the table. I know there was some discussion on the time line but don't remember the outcome?
    Sorry I'm rambling, it's the middle of the night and I can't sleep
    Thanks for the read

Thanks everyone, appreciate the comments & rep.

Jarris was the only rookie in the pile so no AI implications there as I flew him, although, if it should come up just be the I in AI and do what's best for the pilot. I didn't do the slow flying thing as I think that would really have queered the pitch if he was AI but I was able to delay his reaction to the formation turns and I did pull some cards from his deck. I think you could achieve delay using AI by simply moving around the cards selected so turns don't come first.
    The thing with three C decks is there are a lot of zeros - I pulled an eight & 6 with smoke & engine damage but there were a lot more shots than shown as the A deck was churning out special damage nearly every draw and I had to pare down the photos somehow ( was up around ninety or more !)
    AA was not extremely effective in real life anyway so maybe the results are nearer correct than not.
    We've discussed the Morane presence elsewhere here & in previous campaigns - we decided long ago that the Bulldogs are a test unit so may have them available - mostly because that's what many of us had & wouldn't be able to participate otherwise.
    Therefore I'd say go with the borrowed one & have yourself a three on two John !

Well played sir, good to see the early war kites back in action.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nicely done and well played Dave.

Great result Dave. As usual I wanted to play mine out before reading anyone elses AAR so I'm a bit late in replying to this one. Worth the wait though, as it was an exciting fight. Interesting choice of attack, with scouts only present. You did seem to indicate earlier that things had not gone well, but by the looks of things your boys did an excellent job. Some lovely pics to boot. Like the method for representing archie. Should have thought of that one myself. Great idea. Shall definitely pinch that one in the future
    Cheers, Mike

PS am I to understand from Neil's comments that your house move is now under way - if so, all the best with it. Hope all goes smoothly and stress free
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 01-18-2019 at 09:55.

I think Jarris had just taken the 8-smoke flak hit when I posted earlier and I didn't fancy the boys chances of knocking down a balloon let alone two but they did pretty well in the end.

Excellent start to the campaign. Wish I had spotted this earlier.
    Last edited by zenlizard; 01-08-2019 at 08:18.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-22-2016, 08:24
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-30-2015, 23:18
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-13-2015, 05:03
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-21-2015, 13:17
  5. AAR Mission 5 - Flash - The Bigger They Come... May 3rd 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22