Ares Games

Thread: Bierenstein comes up snake eyes...

Cool Bierenstein comes up snake eyes...

One fine morning in 1917 Rittmeister Josef "Bwana" von Bierenstein is having a nice mid-morning weisswurst and beer when an alert arrives in the CP of the squadron. A Britisher two-seater is approaching the squadron's favorite brewery and beer garden. It's obvious those bulldogs are attempting a photo recon as a prelude to an attack to steal the recipes to the coveted dunkel and bratwurst. (Such a pity the British have such poor beer! Nothing beats a good Bavarian lager!) Bierenstein takes to the air to intercept his foe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0148.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	260429

The British two-seater (flown by Lt. Lucas "Scribble" Churchill [no relation]) has made his run and is turning for home as Bierenstein catches him and pours fire into the side of the aircraft. The British rudder looks damaged and the pilot is beating on his guns. Curse the luck; the observer's guns are fine!

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	260430

Bierenstein turns into his foe but now the observer's gun can trace a line of fire into the Royal Bavarian Air Service, uh, German, aircraft! Bullets rip into both machines. The German aircraft is rocked by the accurate fire. On of Bierenstein's guns is hit. No helping it as he can't reach it to fix it. Down to one gun now! In return the German bullets sail over the observer and the British pilot is hit. Curse short British observers!

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	260431

Bierenstein is on his foe's tail now and pours fire into the aircraft. An oil line is hit and the plane begins to smoke. The triumph is short-lived as a bullet pierces his arm. How dare he, that was a new leather flying coat given to him by his Oma! The cowardly British dog fire-walls his throttle and quickly outpaces the German aircraft.

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	260432

Well, it was a British victory as he got to photograph both spots and got off the board. (And one of my kids finally beat me. Curses!) We decided that since the German aircraft had unreachable guns a jam was for only one gun. Also explosion cards were half damage. Plus the DH4 was treated as A/A not AB/B. This was our first two-seater battle. In hindsight I should have been in position at his final objective long before I was. However the German plane is a LOT slower than the British one. Once I was behind the eight ball it was a foregone conclusion. That rear gun is a killer and if it wasn't for luck of three 0s I would have been toast. Maybe we need to string out some more objectives OR add another fighter going after the two-seater. Rematch soon and I will get to fly a German two-seater against a N28.

And this was my 500th post! Woohoo, beer on me!

Seemed tob e an unequal battle fromt eh start; but that's how war goes...

We recently played a scenario with a two seater Halbestadt and a Hanriot. The rear gunner of the Halbestadt did most of the damage to the Hanriot which didn't survive.

Nice one Joe, that Phoenix was always going to have its work cut out against the DH.4 but you got some good hits scored well against it. It's very hard going up against a faster machine, I usually have to manufacture a scenario where they start closer & slower to stand any chance as once up to speed they're out of sight !

"He is wise who watches"

A somewhat uneven encounter, but in real life no one wants an even fight! (as long as you are on the advantaged side)

Faster enemy like the DH4 are next to impossible to stop getting off board after they have achieved their objective. I like giving them multiple targets so they have to hang around longer so you have a chance of getting them.

Thumbs up

Nice little set too there Joe.
    Looks like you needed a faster plane & guns that could be worked on.

Nice little action and you both had five cards worth of hit's so fairly even honours, even if he did outpace you in the end.

Very nice mat as well, is it a commercial product?

It is a Gamematz Promat. It is a mousepad type bottom (but not) with a fuzzy cloth top. The best mat I’ve owned.

https://www.gamematz.com/pro-matz/shop-by-game/wings-of-glory-game-mats/

The problem is I don’t believe they manufacture them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Nice little action and you both had five cards worth of hit's so fairly even honours, even if he did outpace you in the end.

Very nice mat as well, is it a commercial product?

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    It is a Gamematz Promat. It is a mousepad type bottom (but not) with a fuzzy cloth top. The best mat I’ve owned.

https://www.gamematz.com/pro-matz/shop-by-game/wings-of-glory-game-mats/

The problem is I don’t believe they manufacture them anymore.
    They appear to only do them on vinyl not on the mouse mat material which would be my preference, thanks for the info though.

Nice little game Joe.
    Could easily have gone the other way. Just goes to show that you don't need hoards of aircraft to get a great game.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Briscon 2017 Bloody April AAR 1 - Eyes of the Army
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2017, 02:51
  2. 1/144th jumped in with eyes closed
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 15:19
  3. Feast your eyes on this!
    By Bluedevil in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 02:35
  4. Need eyes on the ground in the Denver CO. area!
    By pflanzer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 19:28