Ares Games

Thread: Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 3 January 2019

Default Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 3 January 2019

With the federal government shutdown in effect, the drive to the Family Game Store was much quicker than usual for me. I also brought along a new camera I gave myself as a Christmas present, because my digital point and shoot seemed to be draining my batteries quite quickly. The new camera does not mean that there will necessarily be an increase in either the quality or quantity of photographs I use in these AARs.

AAR #1 - Dogfight. We had five players are the start of the session so we tried a dogfight with a Sopwith Camel (Will) and Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter (me) against three Fokker Dr.Is (Todd, Bob, and Jim). Is this an event match? We'll see. Here are the starting positions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	260399

Unfortunately, I did not relay my intentions to my wingman. So he went left and I went right to try to circle around the attackers. Here all three Tripes are converging on Will, while I am off to the right somewhere.

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	260400

While is the card under one of the Fokkers while I am approaching from the right. Will I be in time?

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	260401

Will is on fire! That cannot be good.

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	260402

No, it wasn't good. Will crashes in flames.

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	260403

I executed an Immelmann turn, took shots at a couple of enemy airplanes, and then curved away to head for the edge of the map. Three against one isn't good odds so the Germans won this engagement.

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	260404
    So how many books are in your personal library?

AAR #2 - Twelve O'clock High. A gentleman had been circling around us in the store as we finished the first round, and Todd convinced him to join us. So Ken (the new guy), Jim, Bob and myself flew Sopwith Camels, while Todd and Will flew two Gothas on a bombing mission. Todd flew the custom painted dark blue bomber on the right in the photograph below.

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	260405

We headed for the bombers and executed some passing shots and turned around behind the bombers to continue our attacks. This may not have been wise.

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	260406

Will is on fire again and I am smoking, but Todd seems to lined up nicely for his bomb run.

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	260407

And Todd obliterates the target.

Name:	IMG_0014.JPG 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	260408

Even though he was on fire, Will wanted to press his attack just to get the practice on how to bomb. Unfortunately, the combined Camels were able to shoot the Gotha down.

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	260409

Todd is trying to turn around in order to return to base. However, we have him in our sights.

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	260410

And Todd draws the explosion card. He had already lost over 1/2 of his possible damage points so this finished him off. So both Gothas were destroyed, but they did complete their bombing mission so it was a draw for that scenario.

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	260411

You may have noticed that the damage cards don't look quite right. Last month we had a quandary with insufficient A damage cards and didn't want to mix cards from two members. So, I used an online game card website to design my own A and B damage decks. I used public domain clipart to create the symbols, a public domain grunge texture for the background of the cards, and the Duality font for the numerals. I also had custom backs, which you cannot see. Will didn't like these new decks because he drew fire damage in both games. I cannot please everyone.

Thanks for this AAR, Robert.
    We recently flew 2 Bristols against one Gotha. You'll see the results when I do the AAR.

I really liked your new damage decks. I also loved that map you flew over. It was a great result for the allies and those explosion cards certainly played their part. Well done

Two excellent actions Robert, as Gary said your mat is lovely, I really like it a lot.
    The home made cards are a very good idea, especially for newcomers who can't get the B, C, and D decks easily. Have you thought about creating a link to the card company so other players could benefit from your work?
    I recently found a file on the forum with artwork for damage chits and I made 3 packs worth of these for all 4 decks. It didn't take long and now I'll never run out in a game and there's no boom card counting either.
    Cheers

Great action - thanks for posting!

I do like those new damage cards..............
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I was going to question the damage cards but then continued scrolling and found your explanation.
    Nice job! As others mentioned howzabout a link to that supplier? Although I have amassed a bunch of official damage cards I might like to get some other cards made.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	260411

You may have noticed that the damage cards don't look quite right. Last month we had a quandary with insufficient A damage cards and didn't want to mix cards from two members. So, I used an online game card website to design my own A and B damage decks. I used public domain clipart to create the symbols, a public domain grunge texture for the background of the cards, and the Duality font for the numerals. I also had custom backs, which you cannot see. Will didn't like these new decks because he drew fire damage in both games. I cannot please everyone.
    P.S. I tried giving you rep for the excellent AARs but have jammed my guns
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 01-04-2019 at 14:02.

I used BoardGamesMaker to make the cards. They are Mini European sized. When I first used this company in May/June their template for MiniEuropean cards was incorrect so I downloaded a correct template from PrinterStudio.com. Make sure the template is 861 pixels tall by 591 pixels wide. PrinterStudio is more expensive than BoardGamesMaker. I believe there are other companies that provide this service. Just use Google to search for Custom Playing Cards or Custom Game Cards.

I am trying to find out from BoardGamesMaker if it is possible to sell my decks, but I haven't heard back from them.

Similar Missions

1. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 14 May '18
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-22-2018, 20:49
  2. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 14 August '17
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-26-2017, 06:42
  3. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 09 May '16
    Replies: 11