Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A concept I'm working on...

Hi all,

Some pics of my airplane hanger for scouts and two-seaters. It is portable and each airplane is protected by foam that has been cut to shape.Name:  28EA3010-4183-4A1F-A82E-E601DF81A221.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  106.4 KBName:  79261BFC-94FC-4D87-8399-D5798B6F80E7.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  98.1 KBName:  28EAD29E-9FE6-4C7F-9F1E-8CD787627011.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  84.5 KBName:  834050BA-0649-4A86-BC7F-C17D8497A53B.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  90.9 KBName:  0A7463FE-C819-44EE-8789-EA1FAC9B5895.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  128.3 KB

That was from a hardware store. For the bombers, plastic filing drawers from an office supply place. Name:  4FD432F8-7705-45A4-BEB2-9C925C0FEB42.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  105.4 KBName:  4D0298BE-CCC8-4E01-8189-E07C10B95097.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  99.8 KB

And for tokens, rulers etc, again from the trusty hardware. Name:  61E04D46-A434-46E8-BE22-48BC1EA1EAD9.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  118.0 KBName:  344CA4A1-57B2-490D-990C-1CA586E64A8C.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  128.5 KB I have glued the tokens on to coloured counters to make them more durable and easier to find, especially those that were printed with different tokens on each side. The blue dice are for climb counters and the yellow counters for recovery.

Your airplane hanger storage system is a great idea and well executed. Thank you for sharing that and here is some REP.

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    Can't do it that small as it has to be attached to the rim at the bases, since I don't have a solid base. I'm also not sure I'd want to make those pillars much thinner from a structural integrity standpoint. This thing is fairly strong right now. Though I could do some gaps in the middle, that might help. I'll play around with it. I could redesign them a bit to use less material, but the bigger issue for print time is vertical space + starting/stopping for gaps in the layers. A solid box with 4 walls would actually print really quick.

This one isn't too bad right now, about 2 hours.
    You can reduce print time and materials by doing something like this...

Name:  Plane Holder Quick mock-up.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  643.1 KB

Some great ideas there, Peter. I especially like the dice you made with the crew casualty options.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Some great ideas there, Peter. I especially like the dice you made with the crew casualty options.
    Yeah, I agree Pete. Dealing with chits for everything isn't always the best way to go. I really like your dice for crew casualties. Will be borrowing that idea and make a few myself.

The crew casualty dice are genius... ARES should license that trick, we’d all want them.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Thanks very much, guys.
    Cheers, Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    The crew casualty dice are genius... ARES should license that trick, we’d all want them.
    +1 to that.

I might just have to make me some of those.

Updated the first post with links to the stuff. I'll keep it updated as I add new things.

rep guns jammed. really love what you did with the tokens. i bought after market plastic tokens myself. but i might try what you did just to have more. ive used dice for casualties for awhile now. planned on using small dice for climb tokens as id seen "dice docks" for such things for other games.

Quote Originally Posted by maestrostewart View Post
    You can reduce print time and materials by doing something like this...

Name:  Plane Holder Quick mock-up.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  643.1 KB
    I think the airplane boxes have taken a back seat. The planes are just too unique in size and shape to make a box that gives any real advantage over the multitude of existing storage solutions others have come up with. I have one or two other ideas but nothing concrete.

One of the first things I designed for WoG I forgot to post.

I have a friend I play with who's diabetic and has issues manipulating certain things with his hands. He found picking up the beveled WoG bases really difficult. He's also a little visually impaired so seeing the lines on the transparent WoG bases was quite difficult for him.

So I made him a custom WoG base.

The bevel is opposite of the stock WoG bases to make it easier to pick up, and it's printed in high contrast red-on-white so it's much easier to see.

Name:  IMG_20190214_091814.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20190214_091824.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20190214_091834.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  117.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20190214_091904.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  116.5 KB

STL file is available here as well as OP.

That’s a really good idea. Well done.

That’s a great idea - who doesn’t have trouble picking up the standard bases?

I understand why they are made with the bevel the way it is but it does make them hard to pick up.

I will be churning out a batch of these!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    who doesn’t have trouble picking up the standard bases?

Me

But that's still an excellent idea!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

That is a great idea, Cody!

A cracking idea Cody.
    Also a very thoughtful one.
    Being partially sighted myself, and short of the odd finger I can appreciate his problem.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great idea. I pick up the standard base and about half the time it slides.

Wonderful idea. I do not like the original stands and have converted to using litko.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    A cracking idea Cody.
    Also a very thoughtful one.
    Being partially sighted myself, and short of the odd finger I can appreciate his problem.

Rob.
    One of my hobbies is boardgame design (just for fun), and having this chap as a friend has really made me consider how easy or hard components are to see and manipulate. I consider it a lot now when I'm buying games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Great idea. I pick up the standard base and about half the time it slides.
    Likewise, I find half the time I slide a card under it to try and pick up the base.

It is the main reason that I glue the Oberst's bases on top of the Ares ones. Apart from keeping a record of your altitude, it thickens the area of contact with a bit of a ridhe along the joint.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hi Cody, I hope you don't mind me grabbing your STL and modifying it. I reworked it so that the lines are embossed rather than raised. I then filled the lines in with acrylic paints. So, thanks to you, I have bases for my F-toys Albatrii and (bonus) they are much easier for me to pick up!

Name:  IMG_7746.png
Views: 535
Size:  504.6 KB

I printed my base embossed side down to the build plate so that I had very fine lines but I'm thinking I should try it face up to the build plate so that the embossing maintains the original width as this would give a wider line and (possibly) make it a little easier to see.

At last 'Manny' and 'Fatty' can take to the skies!!

Name:  IMG_7744.png
Views: 564
Size:  648.3 KB

Now I just need to rustle up another J deck oh, and design a suitable base for my Shapeways Bristol Fighters!
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 04-27-2021 at 01:59. Reason: Added explanation

Hi Cody, I hope you don't mind me grabbing your STL and modifying it. I reworked it so that the lines are embossed rather than raised. I then filled the lines in with acrylic paints. So, thanks to you, I have bases for my F-toys Albatrii and (bonus) they are much easier for me to pick up!

I printed my base embossed side down to the build plate so that I had very fine lines but I'm thinking I should try it face up to the build plate so that the embossing maintains the original width as this would give a wider line and (possibly) make it a little easier to see.

At last 'Manny' and 'Fatty' can take to the skies!!

Now I just need to rustle up another J deck oh, and design a suitable base for my Shapeways Bristol Fighters!
    Good call. I was trying to think of a way to make them a little more visually appealing. I was thinking of dong more of a skeleton design so it wasn't a huge slab of white on the table. I might play around with it a bit more.

Another earlier one. This was designed by a friend of mine (not on the forum), who I play WoG with quite frequently. Credit goes to him for this awesome design.

WoG Solo Template (stl)

Name:  comb.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  126.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    Good call. I was trying to think of a way to make them a little more visually appealing. I was thinking of dong more of a skeleton design so it wasn't a huge slab of white on the table. I might play around with it a bit more.
    Maybe something like this quick sketch and printed in green rather than white:

Name:  5EF67BDA-7BBA-4DE4-9DC7-DB2A38BEDE97.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  96.0 KB

My design work so far:

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 7.48.08 pm.png
Views: 350
Size:  429.3 KB
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 04-28-2021 at 03:19.

I like it. I think I like your design better than what I was coming up with:

Name:  TgpvctB.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  37.9 KB

That’s nice...

Cody that looks very good and would certainly overcome the slab of white covering the mat look. But not sure about 2 seaters or those with wide rear firing arcs like the Walfisch.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Cody that looks very good and would certainly overcome the slab of white covering the mat look. But not sure about 2 seaters or those with wide rear firing arcs like the Walfisch.
    We can accomodate 2 seaters easily (similar to Cody’s design concept) but will need to design one-off bases for aircraft with differing rear firing arcs.

Well, I've finished version 1 of my skeletal base design for a single-seater - just have to wait until my 3D printer has finished printing Mothers Day stuff to actually print it. I'm thinking of trying a variety of colours to see what is most inconspicuous on a mat but still allows you to see the required markings for firing arcs.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 1.18.06 pm.png
Views: 359
Size:  474.8 KB

And here's the first of my Mother's Day prints with another one under way, hence my inability to try a print of this base (you know what they say 'Happy wife, happy...'):

Name:  IMG_7762.png
Views: 526
Size:  437.3 KB
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 05-06-2021 at 22:08.

I managed to squeeze in a couple of test prints of my skeletal base to use in our King Kong dust up tonight, just to see how they go.

I was so focused on finishing off my skeletal bases that I forgot that I had yet to base my Kong figurine so a temporary fix was the order of the day.

Name:  F11262B1-438C-41F4-9EEF-72FA74CA1125.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  166.8 KB

Name:  1E3A6B32-2AA5-43E4-8584-42EB3B47A45A.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  139.8 KB
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 05-11-2021 at 02:43.

I like that King Kong base! and the temp base for Kong looks to be highly usable too. He fits in a single sector... it's transparent... looks worthy of being relabeled to permanent!

Well, I've finished version 1 of my skeletal base design for a single-seater - just have to wait until my 3D printer has finished printing Mothers Day stuff to actually print it. I'm thinking of trying a variety of colours to see what is most inconspicuous on a mat but still allows you to see the required markings for firing arcs.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 1.18.06 pm.png
Views: 359
Size:  474.8 KB

Just a thought. The corners of your stand are 90 degrees, not rounded. Is this a limitation of the printing process?

The possibility is very small, but it happens on occasion that a hit (or miss) is determined on the shoulders of the stand, not the top. This is because the card is the actual target. The bases, being tapered, can make a hit seem to be a miss, if the ruler doesn't rest on the level (top).

In exceedingly rare instances, the rule edge might not make it to the card (with rounded corners), but might be able to catch the corner of your base.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Just a thought. The corners of your stand are 90 degrees, not rounded. Is this a limitation of the printing process?

The possibility is very small, but it happens on occasion that a hit (or miss) is determined on the shoulders of the stand, not the top. This is because the card is the actual target. The bases, being tapered, can make a hit seem to be a miss, if the ruler doesn't rest on the level (top).

In exceedingly rare instances, the rule edge might not make it to the card (with rounded corners), but might be able to catch the corner of your base.
    Hi Mike those rounded corners plus the the tapered sides have been a source of frustration for our group. Add to that the use of transparent plastic and it is sometimes difficult to determine whether a ruler clips the corner or just misses. The rectangular base means that there is never a question. The only time (I think) it would be a problem would be if a mix of base types were used at the same time.

It is easy to round the corners but as this was a proof of concept I took the quickest route. One thing that was immediately evident during play was that the reverse bevel makes it sooo much easier to move the aircraft around the table.

Hi Mike those rounded corners plus the the tapered sides have been a source of frustration for our group. Add to that the use of transparent plastic and it is sometimes difficult to determine whether a ruler clips the corner or just misses. The rectangular base means that there is never a question. The only time (I think) it would be a problem would be if a mix of base types were used at the same time.

It is easy to round the corners but as this was a proof of concept I took the quickest route. One thing that was immediately evident during play was that the reverse bevel makes it sooo much easier to move the aircraft around the table.
    I don't doubt the reverse bevel makes handling easier. Perhaps a mark/groove on the top of the stand to match the card dimensions? I have no idea whether this would work in 3D printing.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Frankly, I find the chunky, blocklike Sails bases easier to handle than Wings ones.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Mike, I redesigned the bases with a radius that matches the original bases but still with the beveled sides. While I was at it I played around with a generic 2-seater base and a Roland-specific base. I used white paint to make the appropriate symbols easy to read.

I did these test prints in black to see how that looked on a mat:

Name:  IMG_7827.png
Views: 254
Size:  415.8 KB

And here are some shots of them in use, with my original white base for comparison:

Name:  IMG_7826.png
Views: 264
Size:  605.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7823.png
Views: 272
Size:  655.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7825.png
Views: 264
Size:  579.7 KB

Somehow, in the redesign process I decreased the base thickness by 1mm, that has now been corrected.

I will upload these to Thingiverse if anyone is interested in printing their own.

Cannot give you any more rep Wayne but well done. The Black ones look really good.
    Last edited by Baxter; 05-13-2021 at 03:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Cannot gkve you any more rep Wayne but well done. The Black ones look really good.
    Yes, I'm thinking I'll go with black from now on - I'll bring a set of fighter bases next Tuesday night and we can see how they go under fire!

I LOVE ALL of these products, but i've not been able to read through all of the posts, but i will be coming back to read through more thoroughly. Also - i WANT to purchase a bunch of these so i can store my planes.

Thank you!

Just want to say I love how this thread turned from my random ramblings into a community contributions thread. I frick'n love this community.

Here is my Martian cylinder that I actually designed some time ago but have just got around to putting up on Thingiverse.

The link is here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4875953

Name:  E00A61AA-B3B3-4CED-B65C-640CC8417114.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  130.7 KB
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 06-05-2021 at 01:35.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. So its May, what are you working on?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 06-06-2016, 03:34
  2. Working on something...
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 12-05-2015, 16:05
  3. Pre-programmed Opponent Concept
    By sparty in forum WGF: General Discussions