Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A concept I'm working on...

Default A concept I'm working on...

Last edited by kalnaren; 04-27-2021 at 12:17.

No offense, and top marks for effort and it looks very nice but would it not make more sense to have a box for two planes like the duel pack? If you could make a place for rulers, maneuver decks, damage cards and markers then you would have a complete travel set to take with you on your trips.

I have a larger case I transport the planes in. These are to replace the original boxes, which no longer fit the sleeved maneuver decks. I'll probably do another separate box that holds the damage decks, tokens, and rulers.

An interesting project... what materials would you use for the case? Also, how close to the top plane would the lid of the case sit (how much wiggle room for the mini)?

Will print them out of PLA. It's not as strong as ABS but it's a whole lot stronger than what they ship in from the factory and easier to work with. Wiggle room will be 2-3mm in each dimension. Even with that it's likely to cause less damage to the planes.. I've had 5 broken by constantly taking them in and out of the packages, either by people pulling on parts they shouldn't (yes, I bend the tabs, but sometimes a plane gets stuck), or by people dropping them when trying to get them out. Can always line the plane area with felt, if necessary. With calipers I could probably shave that down to 0.5mm or less, specific to each aircraft. Just depends on how much redesign I want to do for each plane.

Sides of the lower are 1mm, base is 1.5mm and top of the lid is 2mm with 1mm sides. That's a good solid chunk of plastic encasing the plane. I'm new to 3D printing so it will probably take me some time to really zero in the exact design, but overall this is fairly simple. It will just come down to how close I want to shave the dimensions for the plane.
    Last edited by kalnaren; 01-02-2019 at 18:36.

Cool. Though I agree that a two-plane box might prove more functional, I do like the idea of a hangar for the one you're bringing to play.

I'm interested in following your project as it develops... wonder what your per unit cost will end up being once you've completed all the R&D work?

They are good looking boxes.

I like the look of these!

Will the pilot/paint scheme be marked on the lid (so you don't have to open each one until you find the particular one you want to use)?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Great idea.
    I could do with something like that for Sails.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Great idea.
    Rob.
    That's a great point, Rob. There are a number of storage options out there for Wings, but not really all that much for Sails beyond the original packaging. I'd be interested in something that permitted safe storage and transport of a small number of ships... probably would increase the probability that Sails gets into the rotation.

Another idea: Add a little cushy foam to the the plane-storage part of the box and it will protect against damage due to drops, impacts, etc. A block that fits the area between the wings and the tail will probably suffice, with a slice down the center to gently pinch the fuselage sides.

Those look slick. Just finished jamming mine into various shoeboxes for overall storage (in the original boxes) but I agree with you on the point where they can even break with the tabs folded in. Hope it works well for you!

If someone wants to send me some SoG ships I can design cases for those...

In all seriousness, I'm reading all the feedback you've all provided here and like some of the ideas. Lining the airplane bay with thin craft foam (like the 2mm stuff) would probably go a long way in protecting the planes.

I wasn't considering differing the cases for each pilot.. I don't really want to do a separate lid design for each as the design time would be excessive, but I'll consider alternatives (perhaps putting the base on top of the cards, with a "window" cut in the lid so you can see which plane it is).

I was planning on 1 case per plane, but a friend mentioned that the print time required would probably be excessive, so I may consider doing a more efficient design. This one waists a bit of space.

Got the printer and I've been spending the last week or so learning how the thing works and the peculiarities of FDM printing.

I've re-designed the boxes a couple of times but instead of doing solid boxes I'm considering just designing new inserts for the stock boxes. I store and carry my planes in these things:

So it makes more sense to print new inserts for the boxes, at least for me. Saves on print time too.. a full box + lid would be in excess of 8 hours... times the 75 planes in my collection.. and that's 600 hours of printing

Did some prototyping. About 1mm clearance on all sides -enough to put some craft felt in there and keep it from banging around.

Trying to figure out how to make the holders fit the same footprint as the stock boxes without wasting a ton of material or doing an unreasonable print time.

Name:  IMG_20190120_095156.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20190120_095211.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  145.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20190120_095248.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  138.2 KB
    Last edited by kalnaren; 01-20-2019 at 07:43.

Very neat idea Cody.
    Rob.

Hm, 3-D printing storage boxes. Great idea, entirely rep-worthy.

Perahps you only need small "L"s at the wing roots/fuselage junctions, not the large "L"s you have. You need to hold the plane in place, not protect the entirety of the plane. Would that not save a lot of material over a few pieces?

Something likethe RED sections in this image?
    Name:  Box_Insert_IMG_20190120_095248.png
Views: 1981
Size:  505.8 KB
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Perahps you only need small "L"s at the wing roots/fuselage junctions, not the large "L"s you have. You need to hold the plane in place, not protect the entirety of the plane. Would that not save a lot of material over a few pieces?

Something likethe RED sections in this image?
    Name:  Box_Insert_IMG_20190120_095248.png
Views: 1981
Size:  505.8 KB
    Can't do it that small as it has to be attached to the rim at the bases, since I don't have a solid base. I'm also not sure I'd want to make those pillars much thinner from a structural integrity standpoint. This thing is fairly strong right now. Though I could do some gaps in the middle, that might help. I'll play around with it. I could redesign them a bit to use less material, but the bigger issue for print time is vertical space + starting/stopping for gaps in the layers. A solid box with 4 walls would actually print really quick.

This one isn't too bad right now, about 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    That's a great point, Rob. There are a number of storage options out there for Wings, but not really all that much for Sails beyond the original packaging. I'd be interested in something that permitted safe storage and transport of a small number of ships... probably would increase the probability that Sails gets into the rotation.
    I'm working on something for that... need some measurements and to decide how many ships to make the case for.

Hmm... maybe do a four-ship case (two per side) for Proof of Concept, then iterate all the way up to a full 24-pack--the concept is that the case folds in half like a book and when closed multiple cases can be latched together, but when opened you can use it to display your ships without ever needing to unpack until you're playing 'em.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Great idea.
    Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I'm working on something for that... need some measurements and to decide how many ships to make the case for.

Hmm... maybe do a four-ship case (two per side) for Proof of Concept, then iterate all the way up to a full 24-pack--the concept is that the case folds in half like a book and when closed multiple cases can be latched together, but when opened you can use it to display your ships without ever needing to unpack until you're playing 'em.
    I actually made trays for Sails, but the sold very poorly. I think my initial production run was like 25 or so, and it took me 2 or 3 years to sell those.

Looks very nice and safe to keep planes in. Now you have to have a box to keep all the boxes in.

You probably only need a six pack travel kit for when you play away from home. Apart from that maybe a four draw filing cabinet in a corner would suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I actually made trays for Sails, but the sold very poorly. I think my initial production run was like 25 or so, and it took me 2 or 3 years to sell those.
    The concept I'm thinking of when unfolded would look kinda like a miniature china cabinet, but one section per ship and securely locking 'em in by the bases. It would very definitely not be cheap, more of a high-end "luxury item" that even IF it's possible would only be so because I'm doing the R&D purely for myself because I want them to store my own collection in--there'd still be a lot of hand labor to assemble even if I can get the pieces lasered.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    You probably only need a six pack travel kit for when you play away from home. Apart from that maybe a four draw filing cabinet in a corner would suffice?
    Lot of truth in that Gary. I have two big trundle workman's tool boxes with all my stores and they never get trundled anywhere.
    Rob.

I would very much like to see your display case as it develops DB before I start my new storage cabinet which has been on the stocks for three years now.
    Rob.

Well, not exactly what I'd set out to create.... either way, 3D printers certainly have application for WoG.

Name:  IMG_20190426_203608.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  212.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20190426_203651.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  186.7 KB

I do like that card box Cody.
    Rob.

Yes, the card box is a winner!

Have you printed any more plane boxes besides the one the SE5a is in?

I haven't done anymore plane boxes. The design + print time makes them impractical, IMO. Unless I'm willing to do much larger tolerances.

Well I didn't get anywhere (again) with the plane boxes, but I do have a 3D printer solution for the maneuver decks!

Name:  PXL_20210221_125034850_2.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  PXL_20210221_125124832.PORTRAIT_2.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  PXL_20210221_125456778.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  105.2 KB

Hard to tell in this light, but this is printed using wood PLA +silk copper for the lettering. Being wood, you can stain it darker so it actually looks like a wood propeller.

Name:  PXL_20210221_163924563_2.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  67.1 KB

I recently (F I N A L L Y) managed to get my hands on SoG, so I can investigate this a bit.
    Last edited by kalnaren; 02-21-2021 at 08:43.

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    I recently (F I N A L L Y) managed to get my hands on SoG, so I can investigate this a bit.
    I sketched out a single-ship-plus-deck cell in Sketchup with an eye toward building it out into cases, but couldn't figure out an optimal number of ships per case--my goal was big enough to hang multiples on a wall and display your entire collection like a curio cabinet, yet folding down small enough to stack together at a reasonable size for transport or shipping.

Great work, Cody!

I like the printed boxes

In the end, I'm a big fan of the idea that the best solution is the one that works best *for you*. Keep experimenting, you'll get there.
    Last edited by zenlizard; 02-25-2021 at 06:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I like the printed boxes
    Me as well. Are you able/willing to print for sale some Cody?

Very nice work is this for a 3d printer if so will you give out the files for other players?

I went a little overboard this week....

(forgive the poor first-layer quality.. I'm having issues zeroing in my z-offset right now).

It's a RAP box!
    Name:  Box_1.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  73.9 KB

Still room in the top to fit the book, rulers, consoles, and an assortment of other papers you want in there.
    Name:  Box_2.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  Box_3.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  85.7 KB

3 individual cases.
    Name:  Box_4.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  75.2 KB

Big one includes finger grabs to lift it out!
    Name:  Box_5.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  78.7 KB

6 places to put things of various sizes.
    Name:  Box_6.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  74.1 KB

2 deck trays -one with 4 slots for the damage decks, one with 3 slots (slightly wider) + a handy place for altitude pegs. These trays will NOT fit sleeved cards.
    Name:  Box_7.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  72.6 KB

Boxes are sung, but not tight. Should keep the components in their individual areas if you store the RAP box on its side. The printed boxes themselves are pretty durable, honestly I could half the thickness of them.. but this way you can drop something on them and they won't break.

Zip file with the 3 stls will be available here once it goes through the moderation queue.
    Last edited by kalnaren; 03-06-2021 at 14:47.

Very clever stuff!

REP

Nicely done, Cody.
    More REP inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    I went a little overboard this week....

(forgive the poor first-layer quality.. I'm having issues zeroing in my z-offset right now).

It's a RAP box!
    Name:  Box_1.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  73.9 KB

Still room in the top to fit the book, rulers, consoles, and an assortment of other papers you want in there.
    Name:  Box_2.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  Box_3.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  85.7 KB

3 individual cases.
    Name:  Box_4.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  75.2 KB

Big one includes finger grabs to lift it out!
    Name:  Box_5.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  78.7 KB

6 places to put things of various sizes.
    Name:  Box_6.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  74.1 KB

2 deck trays -one with 4 slots for the damage decks, one with 3 slots (slightly wider) + a handy place for altitude pegs. These trays will NOT fit sleeved cards.
    Name:  Box_7.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  72.6 KB

Boxes are sung, but not tight. Should keep the components in their individual areas if you store the RAP box on its side. The printed boxes themselves are pretty durable, honestly I could half the thickness of them.. but this way you can drop something on them and they won't break.

Zip file with the 3 stls will be available here once it goes through the moderation queue.
    I did mine with paper deck bands and ziplock bags. I like yours much better.

I don't have a photo of my WoG RAP box, but my BSG Starter Set looks like this:

Name:  IMG_20181208_154833.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  143.7 KB
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I did mine with paper deck bands and ziplock bags. I like yours much better.

I don't have a photo of my WoG RAP box, but my BSG Starter Set looks like this:

Name:  IMG_20181208_154833.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  143.7 KB
    That works too.

I was originally using the paper bands for my WoG maneuver decks until I started sleeving them, then I needed an alternate solution.

Cody, fantastic ideas you brought to life. If you ever decide to sell that 4 slot damage card holder... I'll take two! REP.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    Cody, fantastic ideas you brought to life. If you ever decide to sell that 4 slot damage card holder... I'll take two! REP.
    Heh, thanks. You're better off downloading the STLs and finding a local shop or something to print them for you. Shipping them -especially outside of Canada- would be more than double the material cost of printing them :/

Still, if someone really wants these and can't find a way to have it done PM me and we can probably work something out.
    Last edited by kalnaren; 03-07-2021 at 07:31.

Great stuff, the boxes look very professional- you may have started a business!
    REP!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  82.6 KB

Hi all,
    I found this sturdy metal tool box at my local hardware. It comes full of plastic containers that fit snuggly together in one or two layers. The airplane packaging has been cut to fit, with tabs removed, and hot-glued inside the containers so they don’t move around. When it’s finished it will be my travelling TvT set.
    Cheers, Peter.

PS, a shout out and best wishes to any of my fellow Aussie pilots who are doing it tough in the terrible floods on the mainland.
    Attached Images  

Another well-executed idea, Pilot Pete. This thread seems to be full of creative solutions!

Lots of good ideas.......Hmmm which do I try first?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. So its May, what are you working on?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 06-06-2016, 03:34
  2. Working on something...
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 12-05-2015, 16:05
  3. Pre-programmed Opponent Concept
    By sparty in forum WGF: General Discussions