Ares Games

Thread: New Players advice WW2

Bazchenko

Default New Players advice WW2

Hi to all.
    I am new to this game, and interested in WW2.
    My intention is to start with the Battle of Briton box game.
    Any advice would be welcome....

Hi Baz, welcome to the 'Drome!

The Battle of Britain is the best starter for WW2, in that it contains the minis you need for play, and the most recently updated set of rules.
    It will allow you to play 2 on 2 dogfights with no further outlay.

When you have mastered the basics, add a Ju87 Stuka or two as targets; instead of an unrestricted dogfight, the action will gravitate towards them.
    If you can find a Bf.110 or two, they provide a different alternative to your Bf.109s, particularly with the rear gun.
    The Hurricanes are basically similar to the Spitfires, just a bit slower.

Some time in the first quarter of the New Year Ares are scheduled to release Do.17 and Ju.88 medium bombers - these will have multiple defensive guns, and will need to be tackled carefully.
    If you can find an He.111 (EXTREMELY rare!) in the meantime, practising attacking it will set you up perfectly for when the new planes are released.

Hope you have lots of fun with your new obsession!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Baz, from here near Norwich. As you explore this website, you will find that there is much here to add to your enjoyment of the game. Tim's advice is good. If you could be a little more specific about your location, you may find that there are other members in your area.

Hi again Baz.
    I can now formally welcome you on behalf of the Squadrons and pilots based here in the U.K. You will find plenty to keep you busy in the next few weeks. The advice the chaps have given you is exactly what I said to Captain Kiwi when he started WWII just prior to Christmas.
    Fly safe and watch your six.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome to the 'drome from the beautiful Hudson River Valley -- I started out in WW I but recently have gravitated to WW II -- either way it is loads of fun. Enjoy !
    Bill

Welcome to the Aerodrome Baz. BoB set is a great way to dip your toe into the water. I wholly agree with Tim. His advice is sound.

Bazchenko

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Hi Baz, welcome to the 'Drome!

The Battle of Britain is the best starter for WW2, in that it contains the minis you need for play, and the most recently updated set of rules.
    It will allow you to play 2 on 2 dogfights with no further outlay.

When you have mastered the basics, add a Ju87 Stuka or two as targets; instead of an unrestricted dogfight, the action will gravitate towards them.
    If you can find a Bf.110 or two, they provide a different alternative to your Bf.109s, particularly with the rear gun.
    The Hurricanes are basically similar to the Spitfires, just a bit slower.

Some time in the first quarter of the New Year Ares are scheduled to release Do.17 and Ju.88 medium bombers - these will have multiple defensive guns, and will need to be tackled carefully.
    If you can find an He.111 (EXTREMELY rare!) in the meantime, practising attacking it will set you up perfectly for when the new planes are released.

Hope you have lots of fun with your new obsession!

Bazchenko

Tim & all the guys, thanks that's great info,
    Looks like the credit card is going to get hit tomorrow.
    I'm a member of liverpool wargame club, and I know they are keen to play.
    Most members are WW1 players so it will be nice to turn up with something different ...thanks

Welcome to the Astrodome, Baz! Add others have said, the BoB is the best way to get your feet in initially... and then you've got options for expansion as you get further in. Bonus, too, that you've got active groups all over England and a healthy convention schedule, too.

Hi Baz and welcome. You can flesh out you plane collection by using Shapeways models too. Good luck in the skies.

welcome to the drome baz!!!

Hi Baz,
    A bunch of us bought the BoB starter set but not much happened until we organised a tournament using the Ares WW2 points value system. This system is designed for tournament play. It avoids the advanced rules like altitude etc which helps newer players get involved. The details are in the Australian section of the forum. That point system BoB tourney really kicked off interest in our group, we are now into the third round of a monthly North African campaign with six to eight regulars. The point system also enables balanced games using pretty much any WoG aircraft.
    Mick.

Bazchenko

Thanks guys, boxed set arrived today, nice models, but I'll try to find an alternative to the tokens, possibly have to replace them
    With custom made plastic ones (war bases spring to mind at the Leeds show next month)

Bienvenue Baz from Brittany France

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Welcome from the South WEest of England Baz - enjoy

Similar Missions

1. Advice please
    By itchy in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 06:43
  2. Recruitment: New Players and Old new players
    By flyingryno in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11