Ares Games

Thread: AAR - Emperor's Legions Annerley - Verdun 1916 (aka Barry Gullyraker's visit to QLD)

Default AAR - Emperor's Legions Annerley - Verdun 1916 (aka Barry Gullyraker's visit to QLD)

Last week one of our favourite Australian forum members Barry Gullyraker made the trip from his New South Wales rural seaside village to visit his lovely daughter up here in Queensland. Of course the hand of hospitality was extended and we organised a Wings of Glory game at the Emperor's Legions shop in Annerley where we have been playing the WW2 Polish campaign.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6753.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	244.7 KB 
ID:	259779

Barry and Paul decided to team up and Ned (in the cap) dropped in to make up a fourth for the game. We agreed on a late 1916 engagement over the meatgrinder of Verdun, with Barry and Paul flying two-gun French Nieuport 17's, Ned taking an Albatros D.II and yours truly piloting a single Maxim armed Halberstadt D.III.

Name:	IMG_6754.jpg 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	259781

Barry sets about devising his cunning plan.

Name:	IMG_6755.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	259777

Our opposing flights are conducting barrier patrols over the trenches at 6000 feet, when contact is established. After the first turn I had banked my blue Halberstadt to support Ned's Albatros.

Name:	IMG_6756.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	259786

Barry and Ned are closing too quick to get any shots in, but I manage a deflection burst on Barry's silver doped Nieuport. A quick kick of the rudder allows Barry a close range shot as well (the double zero draw was much appreciated).

Name:	IMG_6758.jpg 
Size:	261.6 KB 
ID:	259784

As Paul's camouflaged N.17 approaches the dogfight Barry and I both reverse course with Immelman turns, allowing my Halberstadt a long range burst. This time it has a visible effect with a stream of smoke emerging from the French scout.

Name:	IMG_6759.jpg 
Size:	254.0 KB 
ID:	259783

Now it's Ned's turn to reverse course and get back into the fight ….

Name:	IMG_6760.jpg 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	259782

…. where pretty soon my Halberstadt is perforated by both Barry and Paul. Now it's my turn to smoke!

Name:	IMG_6761.jpg 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	259790

Things got hectic then, with Barry and Ned exchanging head on shots resulting in a gun jam for Barry's Nieuport. My Halberstadt reversed course allowing me a shot at Paul's Nieuport which caught fire!

Name:	IMG_6762.jpg 
Size:	262.4 KB 
ID:	259789

I pushed through the aerial melee for another chop at Barry while Ned went for Paul to try and finish him off. It was not Paul's first rodeo however and he put his Nieuport into an over-dive to try and quell the flames.

Name:	IMG_6763.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	236.1 KB 
ID:	259788

After a long range shot Barry moved out of my arc …..

Name:	IMG_6764.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	259787

…. and Ned was too high to engage Paul's Nieuport. Paul finished his over-dive and drew - a zero from the B deck!

Name:	IMG_6765.jpg 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	259795

Close to the end of the board and with just one hit point remaining Paul elected to perform another over-dive which saw his drop to altitude 2 but this time his 1 draw from the B deck was enough to save his fragile machine. Paul lives to fight another day - Vive la France!

Name:	IMG_6766.jpg 
Size:	268.3 KB 
ID:	259794

Disappointed he couldn't catch Paul, Ned banked around for another crack at Barry's machine.

Name:	IMG_6767.jpg 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	259793

Chancing a close range head to head pass Ned loses out drawing an explosion card! Down he goes, kill to the Gullyraker!

Name:	IMG_6768.jpg 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	259791

With just the two of us left and Barry having sustained an engine hit in the exchange with Ned, he decided to force a decision and performed an Immelmann to come back at my Halberstadt.

Name:	IMG_6769.jpg 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	259792

In another devastating head on attack, Barry comes off second best with my burst sending him down in flames.

Name:	IMG_6770.jpg 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	259780

Despite the mixed fortunes we were all pleased to have had the opportunity to fly against quality opponents. Barry and I offered our thanks as always to the Emperor's Legions proprietor Paul for all the support he gives the game system.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 12-29-2018 at 12:26.

Super action, Carl!

I love to see folks meeting up and getting a boot in!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Well played Carl. A good game.

Thanks for the AAR, Carl.

Great AAR Carl.
    Looks like a lot of fun was had!

Very nicely done great pictures and followup

Some stiff action over Verdun, hard luck Baz but you took one of the blighters with you Well done all involved

"He is wise who watches"

A close run thing, well done to you all, looks like youth wins out over experience, this time at least.

Thanks for the post, good to see you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    A close run thing, well done to you all, looks like youth wins out over experience, this time at least.

Thanks for the post, good to see you both.
    Oh John I will have to rep you for that! As a man in his 50s rarely do I fall into the ‘youthful’ category these days!!

Thumbs up

Great pics & coverage of a fun game Carl.
    It was good to meet some of the BoB Polish Campaigners.

Rep is Inbound!

Spectacular action in the skies over Verdun! Well flown by both sides!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad you were able to get Barry to the gaming table during his holiday visit, Carl! Looks like a nice store and plenty of room to play. I think it's lots of fun flying the earlier planes - although they aren't as flashy as the later stuff, they are more of a challenge to fly successfully. All the smiles are proof of time well spent

All the best,
    Matt

Thanks for posting the game Carl.
    Not only a good game, but puts faces to names and lets us see what you chaps get up to Down Under when you are not at big events.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks for that Carl - good to see you guys having a lot of fun together. REP gun jammed unfortunately

Similar Missions

1. AAR - Battle of Britain Debut at Emperor's Legions Annerley
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-08-2017, 02:49
  2. Queensland Wings of Glory miniatures available at Emperor's Legions Annerley
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2017, 15:17
  3. AAR - WGF IF07 - Baracca's Last Victories - Emperor's Legions Annerley
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-21-2016, 00:38
  4. Other WGF & WGS for sale at Emperor's Legions Brisbane Australia
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2016, 06:26
  5. AAR OTT The Early Doors Mission 4 - Verdun - 9 April 1916