Ares Games

Thread: First look at Trumpeter 1/200 aircraft kits

Default First look at Trumpeter 1/200 aircraft kits

Postman Pat delivered my Trumpeter kits from Hannants this morning, the Wildcat, Arado 196 and Walrus. Each box contains 5 transparent sprues for each aircraft, plus decals and in some cases an etched brass sheet. You are going to have to find crew for your planes (or paint the canopies) as these are not provided. Heaven knows why those inscrutable Chinese in the Trumpeter factory thought 5 Walrus and 5 Arado in one box was a good idea, but I suppose 5 Wildcats makes sense. All appear well proportioned although I haven't had a chance to run a ruler across them yet.

Each box has a basic coloured illustration with a colour scheme on the side, but you are probably going to use your own reference material.

The Wildcat is a nice little kit comprising 10 pieces (2 of which are lowered undercarriage, so the attachment holes will need filling if not using these) with few surprises. The glossy decal sheet has wing and fuselage stars and a set of code numbers. The illustrations show stars on both upper and lower wings - I thought there should only be one upper and one lower.

The Walrus comes with a brass fret with bracing wires. Normally I would probably ditch these, but given the fragility of the struts at this scale I will probably use them, despite looking a tad wide. 23 bits make up the Walrus. The wheels come extended so will need a bit of surgery to get them into the wing recesses. Only roundels (wrong type for wartime upper wing) and tail stripes are included on the decal sheet, so you will need to find your own codes.

The Arado 196, now this is where it gets interesting. 11 plastic bits and a brass fret with float bracing struts and - the cockpit frame! You have to fold this into the right shape before you can stick it on to the plane. Whoever though this was a good idea at this scale wants a boot up his rear end. If you have sausage fingers like me this is going to provide hours of mindless entertainment and make a substantial contribution to the swear jar

Decals provide wing and fuselage crosses and 'not-swastikas', so along with appropriate codes you are going to have to find swastikas as well.

So all-in-all nice kits, shame about the decals (and etch brass). I cannot comment on the Kingfisher, Dauntless or Devastator kits as I didn't buy them (already have the Arii Kingfisher and not interested in the Pacific at the moment), but I am sure these follow the same pattern as the above.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Excellent review, my order is due this week as well from HobbyLinck in the US.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

The detail on those little buggers looks lovely, Steve - those are the three that I would get were I to succumb to temptation. I agree with you about the Arado cockpit glass - why on Earth would they not just give you the clear plastic canopy as they have on the other planes? Silly design/manufacturing choice...

All the best,
    Matt

Similar cockpit bars and undercarriage legs and propellers also available in 1/700 scale!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I have never even tried to acquire such tiny "£$%^& generators!!!!!

Thanks for the review, Steve.

Wildcat - The US star-in-a-circle is correctly slated for both wings, upper and lower (4 required for each plane). Only when the 'bar' was added, in 1943, did the marking on the starboard upper and port lower wing get deleted.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Very nice review and pictures. Looks very time consuming with the brass parts. I remember building a 1/144 CR 42 (F-Toys) and it was a bear to get the wing struts correct. I built 1 and have 2 others but it was so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Wildcat - The US star-in-a-circle is correctly slated for both wings, upper and lower (4 required for each plane). Only when the 'bar' was added, in 1943, did the marking on the starboard upper and port lower wing get deleted.
    Thanks Tim. TBH I couldn’t be a***d to get my reference books out to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Thanks Tim. TBH I couldn’t be a***d to get my reference books out to check.
    "Site Librarian", huh?

Thanks for the unboxing.
    I'm interested in the TBD's from this same line, and maybe the extra F4F's would be handy too. Now where to source them in Canada...

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    "Site Librarian", huh?
    I'll have to ask the Oberst if we can have a middle digit emoji....

BTW, did you receive all my emails re new cards?

BTW, did you receive all my emails re new cards?
    Received a few, yes, thanks!

I'm waiting for a new ink cartridge to arrive, so that I can try printing some out.

Just to add, the real gem in this set is the B25 Mitchell - 5 to a box for £10!

One tip I would recommend if you get these is to give them a light spray with some undercoat while they're on the sprue - the models are moulded in clear plastic and it makes cleaning them up and assembly rather more challenging than I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    Just to add, the real gem in this set is the B25 Mitchell - 5 to a box for £10!

One tip I would recommend if you get these is to give them a light spray with some undercoat while they're on the sprue - the models are moulded in clear plastic and it makes cleaning them up and assembly rather more challenging than I prefer.
    Tip number 2: don’t drop the small pieces on the carpet - being transparent you spend half the day trying to find them

Tip number 2: don’t drop the small pieces on the carpet - being transparent you spend half the day trying to find them
    Oh you will find them - the crunch noise as you tread on them is a dead give away!!

Just take your shoes and socks off; you'll find them right off
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    That's "sole destroying"!

They look like nice models and I can totally relate to the dropping of model. I spent days looking for a wheel when I dropped a CR 42 recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    That only works on one side for me Karl.

Similar Missions

1. WGSF Some festive 1/200 cheer from Trumpeter
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2018, 22:56
  2. British Columbia: Trumpeter Salute, Apr 1-3 in Burnaby, BC
    By Mugwump in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-18-2016, 15:40
  3. Trumpeter 1/200 TBD-1 Devastadors
    By Blackronin in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 2