Ares Games

Thread: Hello chaps...

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Default Hello chaps...

not had a single game yet, but I know whats under the tree this Christmas and thought I'd get ahead by joining the forum!

Based south of Salisbury in Wiltshire, on the border with Hampshire/New Forest, so not far from Stoney Cross airfield, if you've a map of WW2 air bases... of course you do

Looking forward to getting stuck in but until the wrappings off I'm happy to be pointed to the most useful posts you think I should read before playing.

Thanks for reading and seasons greetings

John aka wortbag

Welcome to the 'drome from across the pond! As for most helpful posts then if you're asking questions about rules go to rules help, where there are many threads that might answer your questions, and also make sure to check out the file section. If you have questions that you want answered right away just PM some of the higher up people who have a deep understanding of the game.

On behalf of the Squadrons based here in the UK I can now give you a formal welcome John.
    I'm sure you will be inundated with helpful tips and ideas once the chaps can drag Themselves out of the mess this evening.
    Till then fly safe and watch your six.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome, John, from Portland, Oregon.
    Like you I got planes before I ever even tried a game.
    Word of mouth gave me the confidence to start collecting and I was not disappointed.

Hi John, welcome from Essex.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Hi John and welcome to the 'Drome' from up here in West Yorkshire. Enjoy the game but always watch your six!

Howdy from a chilly Space Coast. Lots of good stuff here and plenty of people willing to share knowledge. Have fun!

Thumbs up

G'day John & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    You might enjoy taking a look at some of the After Action Reports which are reports with pictures of Games members have played. There are also AAR's of Solo Campaign games in the OTT sub section.However please do ask any questions you might have in the future. Really helpful, friendly & knowledgeable folk here!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, John from here near Norwich.

Welcome to the 'drome John, from a soggy East Sussex this morning.
    Here are a few threads you may find helpful in amongst the General discussions subiforum sticky threads
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Aircraft-lt-lt
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ased-minis-WWI
    and a sticky from the Rules sub-forum
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...al-Rules-lt-lt

If you get into this then please come and find us at Beachhead 2019, we can give increase your flying hours and provide some combat training !
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...19-Bournemouth

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Thank you everyone for the replies!

Gully_Raker, I hope you didn't get hammered by the Hail storms recently.

Thanks Flash, your links are for WW1 rules but WW2 BoB is currently under the tree. Beachhead may see me attend as it's only 1/2 hr away. Do you know what type of game will be played there?

Hi John and welcome , from Bristol

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad you found your way to the Forum, John Tons of great folks and great information to be found here...

I, too, had planes before I began playing the game - they really are quite lovely little models. Try to wait until everyone has opened presents before you take to the air...

All the best from SW Ohio,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by wortbag View Post
    Thank you everyone for the replies!

Gully_Raker, I hope you didn't get hammered by the Hail storms recently.

Thanks Flash, your links are for WW1 rules but WW2 BoB is currently under the tree. Beachhead may see me attend as it's only 1/2 hr away. Do you know what type of game will be played there?
    Sadly no one has done for WW2 what I've cobbled together for WW1 but Daniel has provided a detailed thread on the releases
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...sed-minis-WWII
    WW1 is what's normally played at Beachhead as it's the game that seems to draw the punters in. Come and say hello anyway as many of the chaps attending play both so can provide tips, advice and even some model sources if you're lucky.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Welcome to the 'Drome, John, from Middlesex out to the East of you.

Do drop in at Beachhead if you can.

Later in the Year there will be a WW2 game at Salute in London in April.
    We also attend Attack at Devizes in July, and Warfare in Reading in November.

Happy flying!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome to the Aerodrome John. WWI is a bit more active here but we'll have to give WW2 a kick to get more activity going.

Bienvenue from boggy Brittany John. If you have your diary handy a trip to Doncaster Sept 26th to 29th is worth noting . Alaways a couple of WW2 scenarios being played there.
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Bienvenue from boggy Brittany John. If you have your diary handy a trip to Doncaster Sept 26th to 29th is worth noting . Alaways a couple of WW2 scenarios being played there.
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Welcome John from the UK North Squadron HQ. Lots of activity across the UK throughout the year. Keep a watchful eye on the UK part of the forum as m,ost shows dates and what we are putting on end up there.

As a long look forward, as Paul (tikkifriend) has mentioned, we have the UK Wing annual bash at Doncaster. All details are published in the DoncasterCon part of the forum (link to follow as I'm on my phone), and its a joklly good bash too, 40+ members (international visitors too), perhaps a 3rd visit from the games designer next year (TBC), tophies and prizes galore plus a nice dinner and time to tell of tall stories from WW1 and WW2 and those who set sail (not Tim) on the high seas.

Anyway the big day looms nearer have a great christmas and all the best for 2019, hope to catch you ata show or Doncaster.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Hello from warm and sunny Adelaide.

Hi John from a fellow Salisbury area player. I am just getting into WW2 wings too. Have a look in the player aides section of the files as there are a few good cheat sheets which will help with early games and visualisation of the rules. There are a few wargames clubs locally that play wings too (though not always that frequently) if you need opponents.

welcome to the drome from the land of buckeyes (ohio usa) John!!!

A belated welcome, and a Happy Holidays, from Vancouver Island.

Looks like I might be driving past Wiltshire twice in September. From London, to Plymouth, then up to Doncaster. I'll wave as we go by?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. National What Ho Chaps!
    By EddieAz in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-08-2017, 23:23
  2. The chaps go off to war
    By Dowters in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-15-2014, 22:09
  3. Have you chaps seen this.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4