Ares Games

Thread: Battlestar Galactia - Learn to Play Session #2

Default Battlestar Galactia - Learn to Play Session #2

I asked the FLGS to spread the word that I would be at the store to demo this new game on the 15th of December.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battlestar-galactica-Poster1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	259344

And I will be trying out the new Turn Summary sheets, as well. Link: Battlestar Galactica - Learn to Play Session - Post #21

As indicated in the thread for the above link to the Summary sheet, Shane [Skyguy001] and I were actually there for a warm-up the previous week, and got a few walk-bys, but no serious interest. There should be four of us in attendance tomorrow, wanting to play, not including any walk-bys, so there may not be any room at the table for any new-comers. We'll see how it plays out.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Good luck with that. Where did you post your pdf on BGG? I could not see it in files.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Good luck with that. Where did you post your pdf on BGG? I could not see it in files.
    Gary,
    It's currently the only file on the Battlestar Galactica Starship Battles Starter Set section.
    Mike

Memories of Yukiko

Name:	20180226_084930-1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	259358

This morning, our second cat, Yukiko, who has survived his step-brother Macchiato by two years, had a problem. His hind legs weren't working right. We immediately took him to the vet, but the prognosis was not optimistic. There was something very seriously wrong, not just a hitch in his git-along. We left him in the hands of the professionals, but we were told it was not likely he'd recover. There was just a slim chance they could do anything that might work. We gave them the go-ahead to try.

During the demo session, I was called away, and went to the vets, to be told that Yuki was very sick, not just the hitch, but several other things.

Long story short, Yuki is in a better place, just not with us.

Life goes on, as it will.
    Mike

The Demo session was attended by my regular minis crowd, and we pretty much had the store to ourselves for two hours.

Sorry for the lack of images, distracted by learning, teaching and other things on my mind.

Name:	IMG_20181215_120617Comp.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	259364
    On the left was Shane [Skyguy001], on the right front was Steve, and the back right was Mike. Shane and I flew for the Colonials, and Steve and the other Mike flew the Cylons.

Flying for the Colonials did nothing for my luck on damage draws. Again, I became a rapidly expanding cloud of spare parts, the victim of a well-timed bullet sandwich:

Name:	IMG_20181215_131550Comp.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	259368
    I had rotated and shot Mike's Raider in the butt as I passed him (I'm at the top, drifting upward). Mike's Raider had rotated and was firing in the first firing step, and Steve had just Overboosted in a sharp turn, succeeding in getting me in arc. Both shots were at short range (+1). Mike's shot was a 6+, with a follow-on 4, and Steve used his Marksman talent to force me to draw another damage chit (any damage required a second chit, even if it didn't have a '+'). I didn't even get a return shot at Mike, being out of arc. Shane didn't last too much longer, as it turned out. We set up another game and Kelsey showed up.

Kelsey took my Viper, and I attempted to coach her through the next game. Mike started with a Faster-than-Light jump to put himself directly behind Shane and Kesley, and the fighting started immediately. A few turns in, with us finally getting the Rotation rules sorted out, when I got a call from SWMBO that Yuki was in distress. We packed up the game, and I departed without finishing the game.

Good learning session, and we have more of the rules and tactics sorted out. Still need more table time, though.
    Mike

Thanks for the insight... keep the thoughts coming!

Sorry to hear of the loss of your pet. We all love them and it hits hard when they go. I am on my 5th Border Collie and I remember them all.

PS. The Battlestar Galactica game just looks better and better. Thanks for posting.

Belated condolences in regards to Yukiko, OldGuy59...

Similar Missions

1. Battlestar Galactica - Learn to Play Session
    By OldGuy59 in forum After Action Reports
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-19-2019, 21:44
  2. Battlestar Section?
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2019, 08:55
  3. Battlestar Galactica
    By andron234 in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 12-30-2018, 12:00
  4. What drives you to learn about history?
    By diceslinger in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 04:42
  5. How to learn Italian
    By Gaz67 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 14:24