Ares Games

Thread: Small scale WWII ships?

Default Small scale WWII ships?

Does anyone know of some small scale, 2"-6", WWII-ish era plastic ships? My son is going through a military ship phase that I'd like to encourage. I'm not really looking for scale models really, something more along the lines of game pieces with little assembly required or detailed toys.

Thanks

I was going to suggest the same. Axis & Allies War @ Sea.

I was going to suggest the same. Axis & Allies War @ Sea. Another might be Historical Board Gaming. Their pieces are for the Axis & Allies game so may be smaller then you are looking for.

Warlords just came out with Cruel Seas last week. 1/300 scale torpedo boats and the like up to DE size ships. Plastics are a bit pricey but good quality. If you can find an Issue of Wargames mag they gave out sprues with 2 ships for free (good luck finding em though). You can order straight from Warlords or if you have time to wait NWS here in the US has deep discounts on em but it takes a while for him to get em to you.( I think he has limited stock so orders them from England for You). Ships are easy to assemble and are just large enough to show crew members on some of the models...they are also large enough to be targets for WoG WWII games.

Panzerschiffe (http://www.panzerschiffe.com/) had/has (it's been a while since I've looked) 1:2400 WW1 & WW2 ships... detail is not amazing, but they're recognizable and easy to paint. And the price is reasonable.
    Last edited by fast.git; 12-12-2018 at 21:04. Reason: Added Link

Have a look at http://www.historicalboardgaming.com

They sell plastic game pieces.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bart
    Sorties Flown

Axis & Allies, War at Sea

The game has been out of print/production for a few years now but you can get a starter set here:
    https://www.miniaturemarket.com/was-2pst.html

You can also get individual miniatures there as well although some of the rare ones can be pricey.
    But the models are nice and pre-painted.

Keith, if you're interested in WaS and want to go that route I've got a small box of maybe 20 extras
    that you can have (no charge). Just PM me and we'll work out getting them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrivner View Post
    Axis & Allies, War at Sea

The game has been out of print/production for a few years now but you can get a starter set here:
    https://www.miniaturemarket.com/was-2pst.html

You can also get individual miniatures there as well although some of the rare ones can be pricey.
    But the models are nice and pre-painted.

Keith, if you're interested in WaS and want to go that route I've got a small box of maybe 20 extras
    that you can have (no charge). Just PM me and we'll work out getting them to you.
    Those look awesome. I wonder if there is anything like that for WWI ships?

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look into the War at Sea minis as they might be the best balance of toy/model for him.

Ken, when W@S came out I was on a site like this that was dedicated to W@S. The game could have been expanded to many periods but after series IV that was the end o them doing the game. I mentioned many times how WWI would have been a great seller but there was no response.

Bart there are some of the ships that sell for big dollars. Miniature Market buys extras and I saw how much some of them cost. I did repaints on some of the CVE's and mounted them on a basswood base then used a label maker to give each one a different name. I think they only made a model or the NJ and Missouri so I have two others for the Wisconsin and Iowa.

You got me to wondering about the price so I just went on eBay and saw a KGV for $50.00 and a Graf Zeppelin for $35.00. Now I know what to do with all the extras I have.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bart
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    You got me to wondering about the price so I just went on eBay and saw a KGV for $50.00 and a Graf Zeppelin for $35.00. Now I know what to do with all the extras I have.
    Wow - only $35 for a Graf Zepp! The price on those have come down. Last time I looked they were over $50.

Did a recheck and I was wrong Graf Zep is $49. Here is a photo of my Kate's attacking 2 Brooklyn class CE's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_7552.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	259341

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_7554.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	259342
    This will give you an idea of how they look as targets.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bart
    Sorties Flown

Oh, very nice! I never considered using WaS ships in WoG because of the scale. But looking at your photo
    it seems to actually work if you think about it being from the perspective of a pilot looking down from high
    above where the ships look smaller.

I also like how you've mixed three different miniatures games. Planes from WoG, Ships from WaS, and a mat from SoG!

I was looking for a mat to use and had that one so there it is. You never know what you have and when you can use it.

Similar Missions

1. WWII Terrain Scale?
    By RobotSpark in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-20-2018, 02:28
  2. 1/200" Scale Navy Ships of MOTAT!
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-17-2017, 04:46
  3. 1/1200 or 1/1250 scale US and Japanese WW2 ships?
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-17-2015, 15:51
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 10:06
  5. 3 Views of WWII Naval Ships
    By rkhlegacy in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 20:42