Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am interested in having rules

11 84.62%
  • No would not want any

2 15.38%

Thread: Skip Bombing

Default Skip Bombing

Does anyone want the rules for skip bombing?

thVTZBCDMA.jpg

I would be interested in seeing what you propose, Daniel.

absolutely! then i can give my gun nose b-25 a real workout!!

If I remember rightly, skip bombing used to be a favourite in IL2 1946 PC game using the P40. The aircraft came jn low and fast, released the bomb and then did a very steep twisting climb to avoid the blast and flak. So, two straights and a tight turn maybe?

This is what I outlined, but it will probably need some editing.

1: To drop the bomb the aircraft must be over water, and at level 0. To get to level 0 you must first announce that you are diving from level 1 to level 0 to skip bomb.

2: To drop the bomb you must do a straight (at high speed), then another straight (at high speed too), then a high climbing turn.

3:The best place to drop the bomb is at high speed, about a ruler's length away from the target, then announce you are dropping the bomb place it in front during the firing phase. Then during the next maneuver phase, place a stall in front of the bomb card, and move it, doing your maneuvers as usual. After that, during the next maneuver phase, place another stall in front of the bomb card, and move it, that is where the bomb hits.
    The bomb if the red dot covers the hull of the ship it does 8Ds if just part of the card touches it does 4Ds.

Hope that works.

I made a Skip Bomb card.

Nice job with the card. I am guessing you managed to get rid of the text that does not relate at the bottom of the card?

I found a video of that skip bombing from IL2 1946. Irrelevant but entertaining I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af4syRR5r7s
    Last edited by Baxter; 12-12-2018 at 16:25.

Here's the updated card, you will soon be able to find it in the files section.
    Picture11.png

You will need to introduce a rule to allow a "high climbing turn" because under normal rules only some aces may do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Pilot View Post
    Here's the updated card, you will soon be able to find it in the files section.
    Picture11.png
    Just found that two or four bombs were released so will have to change card.

Here is undated, updated card for droping four bombs.
    Picture111.png

Here is the two bomb card.
    Picture1111.png

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    You will need to introduce a rule to allow a "high climbing turn" because under normal rules only some aces may do that.
    The rules for a high climbing turn,
    In skip bombing, the aircraft has been traveling at high speed for two consecutive turns, and if it just dropped the bombs, has released 1000lbs or 2000lbs, so that lightens the aircraft, making it easier to climb then, the aircraft then plays a turn to either side. The aircraft then climbs a level.
    Maybe that will work, if not let me know.

When I ran a Rabaul game at Origins in '17 my skip bombing was simple. I had the B-25s fly at level 1, drop the bombs off of the rear of the planes base after movement. The bombs would travel 1 card length a turn for 3 turns. I use Topside minis for ship templates. When the bomb hit, with new or just experienced pilot, draw 1 D damage chit. If the red dot of the bomb card was on the ship or the bomb card covered the ship's red dot, draw 2 D chits and pick the highest. With veteran crews, normally pick 2 and take the highest, if the red dot is on target, draw 3 and take the highest.

I didn't worry about having to climb after the drop. I do what I can to follow KISS.

That certainly meets the threshold for KISS! How do you like the Topside Minis? Did you purchase a set, or just select ships?

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    That certainly meets the threshold for KISS! How do you like the Topside Minis? Did you purchase a set, or just select ships?
    I went in on a Kickstarter set but they let me take any ships I wanted. I chose a mish mash of WW2, mostly Pacific but also some European, and some WWI. They have a lot to choose from and are always adding more.

I was surprised when I took a look through their site... tons of options. Almost too many... that's why I asked about the sets. They seem like a decent time and money saving option.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I was surprised when I took a look through their site... tons of options. Almost too many... that's why I asked about the sets. They seem like a decent time and money saving option.
    If you don't have any a specific battle could be a good start but I like being able to choose the select the few ships I want.

Thumbs up

Yes I brought some Topsides for Pacific War games some 18 months ago. Some USA & some Japanese.

Fair point. I'll have to look around.

Similar Missions

1. Bombing
    By SgtRock57 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-09-2016, 11:05
  2. Bombing
    By flyingryno in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 12:39
  3. Top Bombing
    By Strangely Brown in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions