Ares Games

Thread: WGFU: Zeebrugge: Naval Air Station Flanders I 1914-1918 (Aeronaut)

Default WGFU: Zeebrugge: Naval Air Station Flanders I 1914-1918 (Aeronaut)

Book Title:
    Zeebrugge: Naval Air Station Flanders I 1914-1918
    Author:
    Michael Schmeelke
    ISBN:
    ISBN-13: 978-1-935881-46-9
    Category:
    History
    Format:
    Hardback
    Summary:
    Zeebrugge Naval Air Station Flanders I 1914-1918 – 2018
    by Michael Schmeelke

Translated by Adam M. Wait, Front Cover by Russell Smith, Color Profiles by Bob Pearson, Aaron Weaver (Cover Design), Jack Herris (Designer)

From the Publisher:

Facing the Thames Estuary across the English Channel, the German naval aviators of Flandern 1, later See 1, fought a determined war against British air and sea forces throughout WWI. Zeebrugge, the anchor of the seaward extension of the Western Front into the English Channel and North Sea, was the most important German naval air station of the Great War, and this book, written by a German historian and translated into English, tells the story of its men and machines in text, 333 photographs and illustrations, and 47 color profiles. The book is hard bound and has 328 pages. $64.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product Details
    Hardcover: 328 pages
    Publisher: Aeronaut Books; 1ST edition (2018)
    Language: English
    ISBN-13: 978-1-935881-46-9
    Shipping Weight: 1.46 kg (3.21lbs)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Similar in many ways to Aeronaut Book’s excellent Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 30 and Royal Bavarian Jagdstaffel 23, delves in detail into the personnel, aircraft, and operations of a single unit: in this case the naval aviators stationed at the most significant frontline air station of the German Imperial Navy: Zeebrugge.

As with a number of recent Aeronaut releases, this monster of a tome does not come cheap…but I don’t regret the purchase. Well-researched and lavished with 333 b/w photos (a great many which were new to me) and 47 color aircraft profiles (float planes & sea planes), this monograph chronicles the evolution of the Naval Air Station (Seeflugstation) set up at the Zeebrugge mole from its modest beginnings with only a handful of personnel to a technically innovative unit that conducted both offensive and defensive operations in support of the German Imperial Navy surface units in their war against merchant shipping and the Royal Navy.

Investigating chronologically the unit’s history, personnel, and aircraft, Schmeelke’s research brings together well-written prose (ably translated from the German by Adam M. Wait), previously unknown photographs, and aircraft profiles, maps, additional documents, and extensive endnotes.

Four appendices follow this monograph’s chronologically divided (1914-1918, and after the war) chapters:
    1. Colors & Markings of the Seaplanes at Zeebrugge
    2. Personnel Roster of the Naval Air Station at Zeebrugge
    3. List of Aircraft at Zeebrugge
    4. Organization of Marinekorps Aviation

Hardbound and weighing in at a hefty 3.2 pounds, this is a beautiful book that details an aspect of the Great War overlooked by many, and would be a fine addition to any library.

Recommended without reservation.

Last edited by fast.git; 12-11-2018 at 10:53. Reason: Added images.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

This is another one I need for my bookshelves, Chris - thanks for the overview to confirm that notion

All the best,
    Matt

It's a good job Christmas is coming.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. WGFU: Royal Bavarian Jagdstaffel 23 (Aeronaut)
    By fast.git in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2019, 13:39
  2. AAR OTT BE Mission 23, 9 October 1918, Flanders Revisited (Carl Brisgamer)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-05-2018, 22:32
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-24-2016, 15:19
  4. Western Front: Above Ypres: The German Air Force in Flanders 1914-1916
    By fast.git in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-15-2015, 12:39
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 15:07