Ares Games

Thread: Silhouettes of Aeroplanes - an aircraft recognition guide published early in 1917

Default Silhouettes of Aeroplanes - an aircraft recognition guide published early in 1917

Look at this link:

http://www.f104g.demon.co.uk/silho/

and click on "Table of Contents" to examine the guide.

Users Country Flag

Name
    José Paulo
    Sorties Flown

Very Interesting!

Does anyone know what the "unknown" German aircraft are? I suspect a few are confusions with known aircraft. However, I am not familiar enough with the looks of some Pfalz, Halberstadt and SS's. '

Rocky

I'm not able to identify them, I'm sorry.

Perhaps they were new model in 1917 So, a way to identify is to study the silhouettes of the recent german airplanes of that period.

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by rockyr View Post
    Does anyone know what the "unknown" German aircraft are? I suspect a few are confusions with known aircraft. However, I am not familiar enough with the looks of some Pfalz, Halberstadt and SS's. '

Rocky
    I was checking out at least one of them and thinking that they reminded me of the lines of the Pfalz DIII.

Neat find Atillio! They had some charts vaguely similar to this on display at the Air Force Museum as well!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

The one on the right (of the second Unknown) could be a Siemens-Schuckert D3. The one on the left looks Albatrossy, but the tailplane is too slender for anything I've seen; maybe a later C model? The first unknown lokos like the right hand on on the second sheet, different witness?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Fantastic! Thanks for finding this gem.

That's neat. Thanks. It's a good example of the style of a document from that era, which could be copied for log books or other handouts.

Thanks! But I think that all the merit goes to the person who decided to publish such a rarity on the Internet This type of documents are seen only behind the windows of the museum.

Thanks Attilio, more interesting things to check out!!!

Very cool. I could see this being useful in a campaign game somehow.
    As for the "Unknowns", given the stated date of publication none of them can be the Siemens-Schukert D.III, but I agree it does resemble one, so this could possibly have been someone caught a glimpse of one of the Siemens-Schukert D.II prototypes... but then again, those are mid-1917 so it cant' be that either.

Similar Missions

1. Making your own 1/200 planes- How to Guide w/pics
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-21-2017, 08:00
  2. Richthofens Albatros - Jasta 11 (autumn 1917)
    By The Blue Baron in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 00:49
  3. Early two seater, what would they be?
    By Nilliom in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 05:56
  4. Jabberwocky - RFC Version, April 1917
    By Fahnenjunker in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-27-2010, 14:41
  5. Colour reference and identification guide
    By bumblie3 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 16:39