Ares Games

Thread: Battlestar Galactica - Learn to Play Session

Default Battlestar Galactica - Learn to Play Session

Moments before I ventured out to play with the new game, I did a bit of work on the box contents:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181208_15Comp.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	259088
    The deck strips are custom made, this morning, and the extra ziplock bags were added for all the different tokens and bits that come in the box. The coloured dice are Chessex extras I added, as well.

Then, I met with Shane [Skyguy001] at the local gaming store to check out the new game before running the Introductory Demo next week.

Thanks go to Games & Grounds for having a multi-purpose miniatures table with different mouse-pad terrain maps, which luckily included this awesome star field:

Name:	Set-Up.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	259087

The set-up:

Name:	Cylon_Rosette_Bullet.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	259107 Cylons:: Two Raiders

Name:	Colonial-Icon_Bullet.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	259109 Colonials: Two Mk II Vipers

We played a mix of Quick Start and Complete rules for this game, intending to use only the 'G' limits (no more than 4 Gs of maneuvers per turn), but we attempted to follow the Acceleration rules (Max 4 for Cylons, max 3 for Colonials) as well. We also went for overlap rules, rather than the Quick Start bypass movements. Being used to Wings of Glory, this just seemed better for us.

Look out Meat Sacks, the Cylons are coming for you!

Name:	IMG_20181208_140546.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	259090
    Perhaps not? Opening shots are a miss for the Cylons and a big hit for the Colonials. I drew a "+" chit, so had to draw another.

Name:	IMG_20181208_141626.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	259091
    First movement card of the turn, and we are trading damage, with Shane missing me in the head-on exchange, but trimming the tail feathers of my second Raider. No '+' chit for Shane.

Name:	IMG_20181208_141742.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	259092
    End position after the second card of the turn. My second Raider ended up out of firing arc on Shane's Viper, so no shot this turn.

Next turn, during the first card, I overboosted with my second Raider, while everyone else backed up. Shane's second Viper is under my overboosting Raider.

Name:	IMG_20181208_143124.jpg 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	259093
    Shane's overlapped Viper and my overlapping Raider were out of arc, so only the non-overlapped ships could fire after the first card. Both were misses.

The next turn (I think my second Raider was out of arc on the second card of the last turn, so no shot taken), and we did some backing up moves, mostly.

Name:	IMG_20181208_143841.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	259094
    Close-ranged shots above (+1 to hit, so '5' or better), but only single chits were drawn...

The second Raider's shot on the out-of-arc Viper was at medium range, so the 5 missed.

Name:	IMG_20181208_143913.jpg 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	259095

Shane overboosts his second Viper to attempt to bring it around into the fight, as I gang up on his other ship. Opening up with the first Raider, we both trade single chits of damage.

Name:	IMG_20181208_144830.jpg 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	259096

My second Raider's shot also went in, but also a single chit of damage.

Name:	IMG_20181208_144859.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	259097

Shane moves his first Viper out of bullet-sandwich position, just in time, and gets his second Viper pulled around into arc as I attempted to get a rear shot on a Viper that was no longer where I expected it to be.

Name:	IMG_20181208_150045.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	259098
    I had no shots, and Shane gets a good roll, with me pulling a '+' chit, forcing me to draw another. This hurt!

Next move, Shane doubles up on my lead (He overlapped his Vipers. I put down a template only because my ship was in the way of his Vipers), and does massive damage to it.

Name:	IMG_20181208_151241.jpg 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	259099
    My shot from my second Raider hits his lead Viper, but Shane only draws one chit. I dug around in the bin and pulled up a '+5'. Then, I dug around again and pulled out another '+5'. Thankfully, we weren't playing with any Ace talents, because if his Viper pilot had the "Lethal" talent, I could have been required to keep drawing, up to four '+' chits in one shot. As it was, the Raider was an expanding field of spare parts. The second shot from Shane's other Viper hit, but I only drew a '0'. Can't hit something that is already gone, I suppose.
    Note: The two +5 chits had the 'Controls' and 'Pilot Wound' special damage icons, but we were not using all the Complete rules.

Next turn, on the first card reveal, Shane overboosts to splits up the Vipers, attempting a pincer move on my remaining Raider. He almost gets both out of arc, but I just nick one of them at medium range. Neither of his Vipers are in arc to return fire.

Name:	IMG_20181208_152044.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	259100

Shane completes his moves, and neither of the Vipers could get turned around enough to shoot back.

Name:	IMG_20181208_152303.jpg 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	259101

Shane's pincer closes, and I attempt a sharp turn (a Difficult maneuver) to get a piece of one of the Vipers.

Name:	IMG_20181208_153042.jpg 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	259102
    Shane's second Viper is out of arc, but his first has closed in tight. I missed my +1 to hit roll, Shane doesn't miss his. I survive yet another double draw, but I'm badly damaged.

Because of my Difficult maneuver in the last turn, I can't turn into the fight to attempt escaping Shane's arc of fire. So, any Overboost I want to try has to be a straight, and then I can plan a turn into Shane's Vipers. After revealing our first cards, I am still, ever so slightly, in Shane's arc.

Name:	IMG_20181208_153814.jpg 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	259103
    I only had one point of structure left, so any damage at all would have done me in. But, not content to die, I dug around in the chit bin, yet again, looking for only the choicest, biggest chits I could find. A '5+'! Draw again, and wow! Another '5+'! My second Raider is an expanding field of spare parts.

Shane reveals his meager collection of damage chits:

Name:	IMG_20181208_153912.jpg 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	259104
    These could very well buff out, with little effort. Chaulk up a big win for the Colonials.

Well played, Shane!

Next time...
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-08-2018 at 19:07.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Well done on the AAR. Looks like this is worth buying

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Gary,
    Thanks for the Rep.

I haven't gotten to the fun, rotating-while-moving part yet, and I already 'need' more ships...
    Mike

Nice First AAR, Mike.

Those coloured dice are a good idea.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Nice First AAR, Mike.

Those coloured dice are a good idea.
    The above dice are Chessex "Fire" (Link:Chessex.com - Fire) and "Stealth" (Link: Chessex.com - Stealth) speckled versions.

I'm gonna need more "Fire" dice for the Cylons. I have a few sets of "Stealth", already.
    Mike

Excellent Demo, Mike!
    Takes me back to my first game in Prague back in April.................

I need to buy this game as soon as!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks Mike - that was a fun AAR and the photos are great. Shall I invest in yet another game? Mmmmmmm not sure, despite your excellent scenario - tempting

Yes it is looking a fun game, have I got room on the shelves ?

Thanks for the game Mike! It was fun... the Colonials will always win... death to the toasters!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguy001 View Post
    Thanks for the game Mike! It was fun... the Colonials will always win... death to the toasters!!
    Must be have missed the last episode . . .

It is good to see that the Starter Sets are reaching some people.

Thank you for the great A.A.R., Mike!

I just bought mine from the Aerodrome store. Stupid question seeing as is sci fi but ..... what scale are the models?

I just bought mine from the Aerodrome store. Stupid question seeing as is sci fi but ..... what scale are the models?
    Really? I don't particularly care. IIRC, someone mentioned about 1/200?

Which is why people are scaling the Galactica at 9 meters long.
    Mike

Found it in an earlier post. 1/160 scale for any who DO care

I'm trying to keep the scale thing out of my head. I'm already twitching over not having enough ships, and I only just got the starter set.

If I start in with this game, like I did with WGS (IE: the HMS Glorious in 1/200 scale), I won't be in any dog house, cause SWMBO will take that, along with the house and half my pension.
    Mike

I can understand that I have not told mine I bought this yet. Wogaholism makes us all cowards

Oh Mike you devil, I am very tempted now.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thanks for the demo, Mike. The detail on the models impress me... am I correct in seeing them as the equal of X-Wing? If so... very tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Thanks for the demo, Mike. The detail on the models impress me... am I correct in seeing them as the equal of X-Wing? If so... very tempting.
    A crop of one of the above original, uncompressed images:

Name:	IMG_20181208_153042Crop.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	259173
    Note: Not a Hi-Def camera, nor a close-up shot.

I am so impressed with these. Official Ares image:

Name:	800x600_BSG001A_BattlestarGalactica_StarshipBattles-Components-Starship-Colonial-Viper_MkII-Apol.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	259174

Yeah. They look pretty much like this.

PS: The image on the Ares site for the Starter Set showing the Cylon Raider has a mono-tone paint scheme. It may be a prototype. The models in the box look like this:

Name:	IMG_20181206_113452Cylon.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	259175
    Mike

Tasty looking models indeed Mike .
    Hope Santa makes it to Brittany soon

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

We aren't doing up a section for this game, so I will be posting files to the BoardGameGeek site. Latest piece of work for BSG (will be in PDF on BGG):

Name:	BSG_TurnSummaryV3c-1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	259914

Name:	BSG_TurnSummaryV3d-2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	259917
    [Edit: Sheets above updated 30 Dec 2018. Version 3c2 resized to fit in the box. Should be printed at 170x240mm.]

PS: It is amazing what I pick up when I post images to this site. Now I'm seeing omissions and errors that I didn't see in reading the PDFs during 'proof reading'. The same thing happens when I post plane cards, too. Just so strange.

So, Second movement step should have a "Any Collisions?" check, too. This is for asteriods and planetiods, which is why it is in green.

Note: Although the Second movement step should have the "Any Collisions?" check, the damage from moving through an asteriod field is only applied once per turn. Either from going through/glancing the field in the First movement step, the Second movement step, or both. The way the damage is drawn, based on the speed of the ship, it is pretty hard to do 4+ in a single step. Unless, you do the damage in both steps, based on the Turn's (total) Kinetic Energy in both steps? Gack!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-30-2018 at 12:10.
    Mike

I wish we could use these forums for Battlestar Galactica. Board game geek is horrible to use.

Cheat Sheet up to Version 3.3.2
    Mike

Great work but the only file I can see in the BGG files section is called BSG starter set strips. That was posted by you 6 days ago. There is no cheat sheet. Could you please post it here?

Great work but the only file I can see in the BGG files section is called BSG starter set strips. That was posted by you 6 days ago. There is no cheat sheet. Could you please post it here?
    Only the deck strips are posted to BGG at this time.

The cheat sheet is not ready for posting in PDF form, yet. As you can see from the image above, I'm up to version #3, and still not happy with it. There are images of the cheat sheet in the BGG BSG gallery, but they are version #2
    Mike

Turn Summary sheet updated, now with Attack Modifiers added.

This has been submitted to BBG as a PDF. It is in the Moderation Queue as of 30 Dec 2018.
    Mike

Final(-ish) version on BBG: BoardGameGeek.com - Battlestar Galactica-Turn Summary V3.4
    Mike

Great pics of your gaming session OldGuy59...and those game summary sheets look excellent too!

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Great pics of your gaming session OldGuy59...and those game summary sheets look excellent too!
    Now that there is a Battlestar Galactica sub-forum, there are also files. The Turn Summary (Version 3.4), and other files for the game, can be found here: Downloads - BSG - Game Aides

Note that I am having version 3.5 of the Turn Summary proofread at the moment, but it will be available soon.
    Mike

Just curious, I've played Wings of Glory WWI and found it is best when played one person per plane. But there you are planning three cards in advance. In BSG you're planning on, at most, two. X-Wing you can easily control several ships, getting a bit complex at around 4ish or more

Two questions of comparison.
    How does this compare with X-Wing only insofar as how many ships can you easily control per person?
    Same question compared to Wings of Glory WWI?

Thanks,

Baxter did buy the game! And we tried out the introduction rules last night. We all enjoyed it enough to want to play again next week rather than going back to our usual WWI.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Jack View Post
    Baxter did buy the game! And we tried out the introduction rules last night. We all enjoyed it enough to want to play again next week rather than going back to our usual WWI.
    Actually, I have the movement cards out for Triplanes vs Albatri D.III's due to someones suggestion! I was thinking about using my laptop and an early version of WoG Solo for a missing player number 4 too.

But BSG is fine instead of course.

Similar Missions

1. Battlestar Galactica – Starship Battles
    By David Manley in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 489
    Last Post: 01-15-2020, 22:04
  2. Battlestar Galactica - 3D movement
    By Ken at Sunrise in forum BSG: Rules Help/Stats
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-15-2019, 17:16
  3. Battlestar Galactica
    By andron234 in forum BSG: General Discussions