Ares Games

Thread: Illegal maneuver question

Default Illegal maneuver question

The following situation came up in a game we played tonight. At this point my airplane had suffered engine damage and was required to play a stall once per turn. The following are the cards I choose in the order of play.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCAN1676.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	259048

I didn't realize that I played two steep maneuvers in a row. Per the rules, the second card is replaced with a straight and I must draw an A damage card. However, the second card was my stall, which now means I made no stall during the turn.

Did I make a second illegal maneuver and do I have to draw a second A damage card?
    So how many books are in your personal library?

I reckon your third card would have to be replaced with a stall.

That's a pickle Robert.
    Old school rules would have meant your plane fell out of the sky on two stalls (Andrea's preferred option!)
    Certainly think your last move is illegal as it should now be a stall - so you should take A damage again & a straight which puts you into a terminal loop...
    So you either have to leave it as is, imagine your engine roared into life for a couple of seconds and just take two A damage for the turn, or,
    take the two A cards & swap the last two cards round, or, use a spin out rule with a hope of recovery, or, take it your machine lost control and dropped from the sky like a stone...
    The rules can't cater for everything.

"He is wise who watches"

Is it a stall in the traditional sense (ie, the aircraft has lost lift) or just the fact it is a very short straight thereby signifying the engine isn’t producing enough power to drive the airplane forward as far and fast as it normally should? If so then swapping the “stall” into the last spot certainly seems to be within the spirit of the rules. (After the A damage card of course)

Yes, I would replace the illegal stall with a straight (1 x A damage), then replace the second straight with a stall (no damage).

If you were to repeat the mistake later on, I wouldn't be so generous!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Old school rules would have meant your plane fell out of the sky on two stalls (Andrea's preferred option!)
    Ah... the good old days. I'm a fan of this option for WGF.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    ...take the two A cards & swap the last two cards round...
    For WGS...? I 'd probably play it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git
    Quote Originally Posted by flash
    Ah... the good old days. I'm a fan of this option for WGF.
    For information, this is a rule which is still in the Rulebook published in 2020 in the WWI Rules and Accessories Pack, as a optional rule (p. 18) : ‘This rule replaces the Illegal maneuvers rule (p. 7) (1). When a player plans an illegal move, when that maneuver would be performed, the airplane goes out of control and is eliminated. It counts as shot down by the enemy team for victory conditions.’

I haven’t used it so far. But WWI planes were so difficult to fly and recovering from a loss of control was even more. So this rule seems to me ‘mandatory’.

And it is a rule easier to apply imho...

___
    (1) stating that the player ‘must replace the illegal card with a straight card and take an A damage card, representing the stress on the structure of the airplane’.
    Last edited by Le Piaf; 04-06-2023 at 02:33.

Similar Missions

1. Maneuver deck question Noob alert!
    By Max Von Below in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-04-2015, 08:02
  2. Maneuver Deck Question
    By zenlizard in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-25-2015, 02:48
  3. P 38 lighting maneuver deck question
    By Gbear58 in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 6