Ares Games

Thread: Jet rules from the Akron Flight Black projects hanger

Default Jet rules from the Akron Flight Black projects hanger

OK, here's several weeks worth of thinking, and throwing ideas out.
    First, I would like to thank Nightbomber and Gallo Rojo for their postings of their experiments.
    My first thoughts were to print an existing deck to the length needed for the speed of the jets. Because this is my preferred solution for fast planes, I reluctantly discarded this thought.
    Many players here may not have access to the tech, and the cards would be of an unwieldy size. My trials with the Do.335 should have shown me this.
    Therefore, following my predecessors, I went with a bonus card method. My difference is that each plane only uses one deck;
    the bonus for high speed is the straight (usually slow speed) from that deck.

The files are here:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2600
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2599

The Rules:
    All jets have a official deck assigned to them. These decks can be modified as all unofficial planes.
    Jet have 3 speeds rather than the 2 prop planes have. Low and Middle speeds are the slow and fast arrows on their decks.
    High speed is the fast arrow plus the slow straight arrow of that deck. The slow straight is played first, then the maneuver.
    A few jets are listed with faster decks; these jets use the fast straight arrow as the bonus movement.
    Note: none of these faster jets saw action in WW2.
    Jets may never plot a stall card. When you land, your coming hot

Early jet engines had problems accelerating quickly at slow speeds.
    When a jet is travelling slow, it must play 3 acceleration tokens (3 phases) to get to middle speed. On the fourth phase, it can move at middle speed. Jets can move from middle to high speed freely.

Jets could also not slow themselves down as quickly as prop planes.
    Jets need to play a decel token to go down from high to middle, and from middle to low speeds.
    On the second phase, they may reduce their speeds.
    Early jets did not maneuver well at slow speeds, but were fully maneuverable at higher speeds.
    Jets flying at slow speed may only turn with shallow (30 degree) turns, may not plot a reversal, and treat side-slips as difficult maneuvers.
    Some jets have a climb rate of 1, so a climb card or immelmann will take you up 1 peg. All jets at slow speed have a climb rate of 4.
    Jets at higher speeds lost altitude very quickly. If a jet is at middle speed, a dive card may and a split-s will lose you 2 altitude.
    At high speed, you can lose up to 4 altitude with a dive card, and will lose 4 altitude with a split-s! Watch what you do!

Jet engines were (and are) very vulnerable to damage. Any engine damage chit will destroy the engine. If your plane is a single engine one
    (P-80, Vampire, He-162 or EF-126), you are a mission kill. You could glide home, but your a tadpole in a trout hatchery.
    For two engine jets (the rest minus the Ar-234C), 1 engine hit kills an engine. You must immediately decel to slow speed, and stay there.
    Try and get home (see above). Two engine hits, and your gliding (ditto).
    The Ar-234C needs 2 engine hits to need to decel to slow. The 3rd hit kills you.

Two jets have speeds too slow for the 3 speed system: the P-59A (if you want to see why it never saw combat) and the Meteor F.1 ( and early F.3s, before the engine pods were lengthened). They only use the arrows on the cards, but all the rules apply (they just don't have a bonus arrow).

Me-262: T deck
    Me-262B-a1: R* deck (No extreme SS; replace with regular SS)
    P-80A: T deck
    P-80B: Q deck* (No extreme SS; replace with regular SS) (faster)
    P-80C: O** deck (No 60 degree turn; No extreme SS; replace with regular SS)(faster)
    Meteor F.3: O** deck (No 60 degree turn; No extreme SS; replace with regular SS)
    He-280: R* deck (No extreme SS; replace with regular SS)
    Vampire Mk.I: R* deck (No extreme SS; replace with regular SS)
    He-162A-2: R* deck (No extreme SS; replace with regular SS) BoostT deck)
    FH Phantom: S* deck (replace slow extreme SS with standard SS)
    H0-229: O** deck (No 60 degree turn; No extreme SS; replace with regular SS) (Faster)
    Ar-234B: E deck [ B* deck (No reversals) w/ bombload.]
    Ar-234C T deck [ O** deck (No 60 degree turn; No extreme SS; replace with regular SS) w/ bombload]
    C-3 version planned to have 2 20mm MG151 firing forward. What-if. C-C/C.
    Junkers EF 126: 781 O** deck (No 60 degree turn; No extreme SS; replace with regular SS)
    P-59A: T deck (no bonus speed card)
    Meteor F.1: T deck (no bonus speed card)

Special rules:
    Me-262: the MK 108 cannon had low MV and poor ballistics. The approach speeds of the Me-262 increased this problem.
    When firing on any but heavy bombers, short range only, and treated as long range. If it is flying at slow speed, ignore this rule
    (though you'll probably be shot down soon).
    Meteor: this plane had stability issues at high speed, resulting in "snaking". When flying at high speeds, only short ramged shooting, and treat
    as longed range.
    He-162A-2: the BMW 003E-1 or E-2 engine could be boosted for a total of 6 phases. Use the T deck.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Wow! Using the early jets is far more complicated than I ever imagined. Thank you for all the hard work you have put in on this, Karl.

following with interest. i look forward to seeing game play test results.

Now I have incentive to paint up my 2 Me 262s and give these rules a run through.

Karl, you have waaaaaay too much time on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by redcoon2 View Post
    Karl, you have waaaaaay too much time on your hands.
    You know what the alternative is, Thomas. Distractions keep me (mostly) stable.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I am with you, Peter - need to move up my 262 and 163 in the queue (and probably get a couple more)...these look great, Karl - I look forward to trying them out Thanks for all the hard work and research to provide these for us.

All the best,
    Matt

do you think that the Battlestar Galactica movement rules may provide any clues to how Ares might approach jets?

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    do you think that the Battlestar Galactica movement rules may provide any clues to how Ares might approach jets?
    Not unless jets can fly sideways! They seem to be going for a vector type movement system which suits the new TV series background rather well and slightly more realistic for a space based game than X-Wing.

I don't think Ares will ever "approach jets".

They have far too much on their plate already, and are starting to fail to provide follow-up to some of their existing projects.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

This is my opinion too.
    Karl

Of course jets do not fly sideways. I was thinking more in terms of using more than one card and the kinetic energy/ acceleration/ G force rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Of course jets do not fly sideways. I was thinking more in terms of using more than one card and the kinetic energy/ acceleration/ G force rules.
    Let me break open my copy, and I'll look into it.
    Karl

Similar Missions

1. Ohio: New replica P-51 in Akron
    By Jager in forum US Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-20-2014, 03:56
  2. If you come by Akron Ohio.....
    By Jager in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 12:47
  3. Information on Black Flight
    By CdnFlyer in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 20