Ares Games
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mess of The Daring Young Men !

Default Uncle Out Of Office

I am about to move house next week chaps - been a long time coming - so Uncle's coverage may be spotty for a few weeks whilst he moves landing grounds but I hope to maintain more than a watching brief.

"He is wise who watches"

Good luck with the move Dave - hope all goes well

Sorry to all for not reading AARs etc but really tied up with other matters right now and haven't been near Mission 3 yet - want to play it / write it up before enjoying reading everyone elses. Gotta go - again!!! Latwers all.

Have fun and good luck with the move.

May your move go without a hitch Dave.
    As I said in my PM. I may be in your neck of the woods later in the year.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Uncle!
    I have noticed that November has no Scenario writer as yet. As a House warming present you can put me down for that one if you wish.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Hope everything goes smoothly with the move Dave.
    Dont forget to PM me with your new address when you are settled in.

Good luck with the move.

Message to Mike.

Any chance of getting the April scenario out before next Thursday Mike?
    After that my house will be a building site until the end of June, and no games will be playable.
    Rob.

Any chance of getting the April scenario out before next Thursday Mike?
    It has been proof read by Uncle and needs tarting up Rob, but hopefully yes - I'll do my best Better go and get on with it - outside interference has now all but ended, for the moment Watch this space.

OK, OTT DYM Mission 4 is ready to be posted. Rob has asked for it early. Is everyone happy if I post it now? If not I can PM it to Rob and post it here on April Fools Day - I mean April 1st

If I don't hear back by the weekend I shall assume its ok to go ahead and post it early.

PM Rob a copy so he can crack on then post it on the 31st if you would Mike.

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

I have no objections Mike if you want to post the BRF early unless Dave prefers to keep it till end month (?)

I'll wait until April 1st Baz, by request from Uncle. But thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I am about to move house next week chaps - been a long time coming - so Uncle's coverage may be spotty for a few weeks whilst he moves landing grounds but I hope to maintain more than a watching brief.
    Good luck with the move Dave, it's 4 weeks since we moved in and there's still piles of boxes, I cleared most out from the room that will be mine, all mine so I could play Marchs game, today I'm starting to decorate it.

Hope it goes smoothly and as stress free as possible.

Cheers John, toying with the idea of a large cabin in the garden to accommodate me and the hobby but time and wallet will tell.. good luck with the decorating, will it be a nice sky blue on the walls... ?

"He is wise who watches"

Cheers John, toying with the idea of a large cabin in the garden to accommodate me and the hobby but time and wallet will tell.. good luck with the decorating, will it be a nice sky blue on the walls... ?
    I seriously considered Sky blue on one wall but I can't decide which wall my table will go against, so it's going to be white and something else. Most of my games I photograph on a black table and with a black background so it makes the mat or board and the buildings and figures stand out, WoW is the first game I've used a train backboard for.

The cabin is a good idea, I expect you've come across Eric the Shed, but matakishi recently put a cabin in the garden and documented it on his blog http://www.matakishi.net/the-cabin.html I don't know if I've done that right but this is it as well https://www.matakishi.net/the-cabin.html, it's interesting just to see how he is storing things. I don't know what you do in the wargaming line but for me figures and scenery take up far more space than the Wings stuff.

We did consider the cabin idea at the old house and there are some guy's doing very nice top quality Cedar ones, they are based near Gloucester but they were quite happy to inspect the site, deliver and set up at our place near Buxton in Derbyshire, I believe you are going SW, so they would be OK for that I expect. Having said that there are loads of these guy's about.
    Cheers
    John

My sky blue walls are going to have clouds painted on them and I only hope I get to do this before you lot run the world out of sky blue paint!
    No more having to photo shop the photos if my camera angle misses the edge of the backboard and shows the sideboard or curtains in the background by mistake.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    ...The cabin is a good idea... it's interesting just to see how he is storing things. I don't know what you do in the wargaming line but for me figures and scenery take up far more space than the Wings stuff....
    That looks about the size of it ! The storage is looking good. I'm into figures & scenery too, I have old Bisley office trays from my nick when they had a clear out years ago and plan to get them under the table if I can along with the scenic boxes. I don't think I have much compared to most people I know but I've still managed to fill an 8x8 space with it to above chest height so may have to rethink that !

"He is wise who watches"

The cabin is a good idea, I expect you've come across Eric the Shed, but matakishi recently put a cabin in the garden and documented it on his blog http://www.matakishi.net/the-cabin.html I don't know if I've done that right but this is it as well https://www.matakishi.net/the-cabin.html,
    That really looks great John. But have you any idea of the finished cost? My son has been talking of this too and I suspect he'd like to have some idea of the finances involved.

You will need to put some heating into your cabin to prevent the moist air affecting your cards and rulebooks.

Brother in law just put a lovely shed/bar in the garden. 18x 9. Walls are really thick, windows double glazed etc. Costly but well worth it. I'll get the details and post here.

https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/premiumpl...-w5-5m-x-d3-5m

neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Just the job !
    I found the prices are about Ł3k+ for something half decent then you have to account for a base & connections to power etc.

"He is wise who watches"

Moving anywhere nice ?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Moving anywhere nice ?
    To Dorset from East Sussex Paul.. 20mins from Entoyment, 25mins from Tank Museum, my daughter & most other places in the area.

"He is wise who watches"

Oh joy Thats a house move i could cope with .

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    That really looks great John. But have you any idea of the finished cost? My son has been talking of this too and I suspect he'd like to have some idea of the finances involved.
    Mike We have thrown away most of the stuff in our move, but we were looking at 4 x 3m or 5 x 3m Double glazed 2 windows, double glazed patio doors, electrics installed, water connection, thermal insulation, plaster board and skimmed interior. Including foundations, but these were whopping screw in piles rather than a concrete base that would have been extra, sloped roof with Firestone EPDM to avoid planning permission, we live in a National Park. Cost Ł12 to Ł15,000, only extra was putting electric and water to the site.

The idea was for this to be usable year round room, not a glorified shed, so you could do it a lot cheaper.

We found there was a big difference in what people were offering. Mrs Vagabond did most of our research because our plan was for it to be her art studio. Guy's down your way we saw and liked were Future Rooms in Tewksbury they did some very nice cedar cladding, better than most cedar cladding but added over Ł1,000 to the cost, but she suggests that Oeco in Rippon had a really good web site, to give you ideas, we didn't go and see them, I know they are too far from you but the site should be worth a look.

We also looked at a big garden shed, cost a few thousand pounds but to a large extent, I think you get what you pay for.

Hope that's some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Uncle!
    I have noticed that November has no Scenario writer as yet. As a House warming present you can put me down for that one if you wish.
    Rob.
    Done ! Thanks Rob.

...As I said in my PM. I may be in your neck of the woods later in the year. Rob.
    Neat, drop me a line, if the home 'drome isn't ready there's always Entoyment & I'm sure some of the local lads might want to meet you too if they're free for a game.
    Last edited by flash; 03-18-2019 at 08:37.

"He is wise who watches"

Oh joy Thats a house move i could cope with .
    Cut my council tax by about a third too !
    Thanks for the good wishes & shed advice everyone,

"He is wise who watches"

Double bonus . More free squids to spend at Entoyment

Double bonus . More free squids to spend at Entoyment
    Indeed - they just need stock of Wings !
    Peter contacted Ares direct a few weeks ago and it would appear there is little to no stock to be had from them (other than the stuff that doesn't shift).
    He has said he will buy in more sets of the next releases initially so he can have stock for longer in the future.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for all of the shed advice folks. Very interesting! Son John now has that too and is also very, very interested Really helpful

Re OTT DYM Mission 3 - now done and dusted but shall have to wait until after Yeovil to get the AAR written and posted (so still will not read the others, sorry - not until I'm all written up). Meantime - thanks Baz, that was a nice one - not a single gun jam card! Not a single fire or smoke card drawn (used two packs), no explosions. Just a load of pretty high damage cards from the B deck, which makes a change from masses of zeros! And only one aircraft shot down - all over in eight turns, there and back again for the Albatros CI - now there's a spoiler

Dave, I sincerely hope the move is going smoothly - good luck with it all. Neil, John and Rob appear to be really busy one way and another too - best of luck there gents.

Mission 4 is all ready to go on April 1st.
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 03-19-2019 at 04:53.

Looking forward to it, Mike. I have finished my mission 3, and am slowly getting the write-up done. Real life gets in the ways sometimes. Spoiler: it was a spectacular win for the Central Powers.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    ...Dave, I sincerely hope the move is going smoothly - good luck with it all. Neil, John and Rob appear to be really busy one way and another too - best of luck there gents...
    Thanks mate, I shall tell you how it went at Yeovil with any luck !

"He is wise who watches"

Dave, I sincerely hope the move is going smoothly - good luck with it all. Neil, John and Rob appear to be really busy one way and another too - best of luck there gents.
    Anyone want to help cutting 1,000 coffee stirrers into 3/4 inch planks?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Anyone want to help cutting 1,000 coffee stirrers into 3/4 inch planks?
    Neil I've had better offers, many better offers, although come to think of it, none recently.

All moved in, working on getting reconnected - currently battling a lurgy but managed to get to my daughters today for a quick update on her computer (by quick I mean a couple of hours !). Loving Blandford, good people & great country views. Not stopped smiling since we got there. Temporary landing field up and running by day four & day out at Yeovil model show on day three. Only been in a week
    Keep up the good work - some great AAR's being posted. Will try to catch up, look forward to #4.

"He is wise who watches"

All moved in, working on getting reconnected - currently battling a lurgy but managed to get to my daughters today for a quick update on her computer (by quick I mean a couple of hours !). Loving Blandford, good people & great country views. Not stopped smiling since we got there. Temporary landing field up and running by day four & day out at Yeovil model show on day three. Only been in a week
    Keep up the good work - some great AAR's being posted. Will try to catch up, look forward to #4.
    Well done, Dave, for moving in and that you're still smiling. For that you are awarded the Croix de la Logistique.

Moving is always an adventure. Good to see you are in and still getting out. Get some two or three hat cure on that lurgy, then back to the front for you!

And we're back in the room !
    Normal service will be resumed (management permitting!) and I will do my best to keep records and stuff up to date in between the demands of putting a house straight.
    I've managed to get Mission 2 started so hope to get that to you soon.

"He is wise who watches"

Welcome back, mate!
    Glad to hear it has all gone smoothly so far.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

We'll put the aspidistra back where it belongs. Mind you, we only moved it to keep it safe.

...from the wild flyboys partying.

Good to have you back Uncle. Glad you're all sorted and still able to tell the tale

Well done that man. glad to hear it has gone well thus far.

Now my world turned upside down Dave.

Starting to rip out the Kitchen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7568.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	265615

Yesterday the builders broke ground!

Name:	IMG_7572.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	247.2 KB 
ID:	265613

The JCB digger also broke my TV cable.

Name:	IMG_7575.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	265614
    A good job the phone line and Internet came in the front of the house.

Rob.

...A good job the phone line and Internet came in the front of the house...
    Cripes ! You can do without that extra hassle - hope it all goes well from now on - management is eyeing up a new kitchen too...

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave.
    The Plumbers and the TV Engineer are due tomorrow.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Great to have you back at the Front Dave.
    The lads seemed to have behaved themselves fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Great to have you back at the Front Dave.
    The lads seemed to have behaved themselves fairly well.
    I see you didn't speak for yoursefl!

Welcome back Ton Ton.

Good luck with your building work Rob. It is a hassle, I know from the past, but it is well worth it when the dust has settled

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. OTT Daring Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 02-19-2020, 07:01
  2. Sticky: OTT Daring Young Men (DYM) Campaign Rules
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-16-2018, 03:06
  3. Daring Woman saves a Plane.
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-06-2017, 11:30
  4. What goes on in the mess, stays in the mess.......
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 02:34
  5. KoTA 7B The Daring Rescue.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 11:51