Ares Games
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Mess of The Daring Young Men !

This Mess will be closed & a new one opened when the next campaign starts

"He is wise who watches"

Whoo Hooo If I survive this last mission the drinks are on me.

Thanks for all your work Dave - it must be trying at times when we send Observers flying planes as Pilots and introduce all sorts of complications for you but there's a war on and sometimes there's just SNAFU's and occasionally it's FUBAR but I'm sure we all try our best to stay on the straight and narrow. Which must be an even bigger worry I suppose.

Like herding cats is the expression you're grasping for John and yes it can be hard work when the Tally format isn't used but it can be rewarding so thanks for that.
    Last edited by flash; 02-06-2020 at 08:14.

"He is wise who watches"

If the site stays up long enough I will post the final mission tomorrow.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Users Country Flag

Name
    Roy
    Sorties Flown

Cocky Young Men question -

Can I ask what people thinking of using French forces are going to be using for two-seaters?

The use of MS.3 (Type L), after April '16, is questionable, I'm thinking. Very happy to be corrected as I have two of these models.
    Strutters as used by the French, SOP. 1A2 and SOP. 1B2 are making debuts in 1917 I've read and can't find contradicting info - though it was only a Internet search and not literature referencing so, again, happy to be corrected since there's Ares models available.

The two-seaters are the big question that is puzzling me. Is it going to be a Shapeways decision, with Voisins or Caudrons or Farmans being looked at for bombing and recon machines?

French 2 seaters I'm using are Morane-Saulnier L (but probably not any more as we move on) & P, Caudron G.4, Nieuport 10 & 12. Voisins and Farmans are also available.(I have a few to get done) Sopwiths are later on as you have found.

Its a Shapeways airforce indeed.

Well you chaps are paving the way as pathfinders.
    I am still waiting to post mission eight which I can't do until my double posts with an attatchment gets sorted out.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Dave, looking at your new ace skills I see one of the three is Stuntman. Does this just give you a wider firing arc and the plane ends still moving straight or does the plane actually rotate at the end of the move? The other two, Firm Hand and Sneak Attack are clear.

I want to get out the new skill chits into the files so everyone will have access to them before we start.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I am still waiting to post mission eight which I can't do until my double posts with an attatchment gets sorted out.
    And here I am, still waiting for an opportunity to run Mission 12 from the DYM campaign. Maybe on the weekend if the people around me can stay our of the hospital. Or the morgue.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Dave, looking at your new ace skills I see one of the three is Stuntman. Does this just give you a wider firing arc and the plane ends still moving straight or does the plane actually rotate at the end of the move? ...
    Stuntman opens up the firing arc to the 90 degree, left or right, representing the aircraft being slewed to that side in flight, the aircraft will carry straight on. Thought we'd give it a whirl !

"He is wise who watches"

Dave, looking at your new ace skills I see one of the three is Stuntman. Does this just give you a wider firing arc and the plane ends still moving straight or does the plane actually rotate at the end of the move? The other two, Firm Hand and Sneak Attack are clear.

I want to get out the new skill chits into the files so everyone will have access to them before we start.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Stuntman opens up the firing arc to the 90 degree, left or right, representing the aircraft being slewed to that side in flight, the aircraft will carry straight on. Thought we'd give it a whirl !
    Cool. Simple enough to implement. I think the Martians will want this one too!

Cool. Simple enough to implement.
    Yeah, inspired by Werner Voss in his Tripe I believe, card comes with his Pfalz though.

"He is wise who watches"

Heading downstairs to the table to finally get Mission 12 played.
    Have to use up vacation days so what better way to spend them?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Roy
    Sorties Flown

French 2 seaters I'm using are Morane-Saulnier L (but probably not any more as we move on) & P, Caudron G.4, Nieuport 10 & 12. Voisins and Farmans are also available.(I have a few to get done) Sopwiths are later on as you have found.

Its a Shapeways airforce indeed.
    Thanks Teaticket. I have to admit that I completely overlooked the Nieuport 12. Doh!

Thumbs up

Finally played Mission 12 this morning. Probably get the AAR done over the weekend as we are finally getting RAIN! Yee Haa!

All I will say at this point is that Trench fire is really nasty!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot Roy View Post
    Dave, looking at your new ace skills ...
    Any further questions should be posted in the Cocky Young Men Campaign thread chaps, not the DYM mess. Uncle thanks you.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    ...still waiting for an opportunity to run Mission 12 from the DYM campaign. Maybe on the weekend...
    Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    ...Finally played Mission 12 this morning...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Heading downstairs to the table to finally get Mission 12 played...
    Good to hear, let's get the AAR in sharpish chaps, Uncle needs to crack on with rosters and things for the next campaign.

"He is wise who watches"

Played mine yesterday, a most excellent game, unfortunately I have two wounded airmen just landed, need to roll some dice to see how they fare, double unfortunatly one of them is me.

Barry hope the rain helps with things down there, just enough and not too much would be good to hear.

Looks like Uncle will be busy soon !

"He is wise who watches"

Spent yesterday writing up my Mission 12 AAR with the intention of posting it this morning but found the site was down all day again.

I will give it a go Sunday ....

Smile

Went to post my AAR this morning but site was down all day.
    Just checked now after dinner 7.30 pm & its up but will have to wait for tomorrow as I am enjoying a Margaret River Semilion Sav Blanc from West Aust. before the last Christmas fruit tart & then a movie on DVD.

Look forward to seeing them chaps.

"He is wise who watches"

Might have to just load the aar with minimal photos as the site is messing around and not uploading photos

Count me in for the Cocky Young Men campaign

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Might have to just load the aar with minimal photos as the site is messing around and not uploading photos
    Huzza! Paul.
    Someone else with my problem. I thought it was just my computer system playing up.
    All I can post is a picture which automatically drops in an attachment as if I have deleted the post.
    When I go to manage attachments and remove it the main picture disappears along with it. On Sails I am deleting the main picture and just leaving the attachment. That works, but of course is no use for a series of pictures with added comments interspersed. That is why I'm holding off posting mission eight.
    Now I know that I'm not alone in the punyverse
    Rob.

Odd, I've just posted pics of Beachhead OK.
    I will sign you up Paul - thanks

"He is wise who watches"

Can only upload 5 pix at a time then it deletes 3 and looses the rest.
    You are not alone Rob in frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot Roy View Post

Can I ask what people thinking of using French forces are going to be using for two-seaters?
    Here is what I have for Escadrille counts using each plane type during the three-month period.

30 escadrilles: Caudron G.4 and a few older G.3 and new G.6 (Esc. 4, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 18, 27, 28, 30, 34, 39, 42, 43, 47, 51, 53, 56, 61, 64, 66, 74, 104, 105, 106, 122, 202, 207, 224, 227)
    27 escadrilles: Farman F.40 + some older MF.11s: (Esc. 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 14, 16, 19, 20, 35, 36, 40, 41, 44, 45, 50, 52, 54, 55, 58, 59, 60, 62, 63, 70, 71, 72)
    22 escadrilles: Nieuport 10+11, maybe some 12: (Esc. 3, 12, 15, 23, 26, 31, 37, 38, 48, 49, 57, 65, 67, 68, 69, 73, 75, 92, 102, 103, 112, 125)
    15 escadrilles: Farman F.40: (Esc. 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 208, 210, 211, 212, 215, 216, 218, 221, 228, 382)
    12 escadrilles: Voisin 5: (Esc. 21, 24, 84, 209, 220, 222, 223, 383, 385, 386, 388, 389)
    5 escadrilles: Farman MF.11: (Esc. 22, 25, 32, 33, 98)
    5 escadrilles: Breguet 4 plus some 2/BUC/BLC/5s: (Esc. 117, 118, 119, 120, 121)
    5 escadrilles: Voisin 3: (Esc. 17 [with Caudron G.4s], 101, 107, 108, 109)
    4 escadrilles: Voisin 4: (Esc. 110, 111, 113, 116)
    2 escadrilles: Farman F.40 transitioning to Sopwith Strutter (B1,B2) in September: (Esc. 29, 123)
    1 escadrille: Caproni CEP2 [French version of Ca.3/Ca.33]: (Esc. 115)
    1 escadrille: Caudron R.4: (Esc. 46)

Note that the Nieuport escadrilles mixed two-seaters in with their Nieuport 11s.

Oh, and for the Germans, we have plane-counts from the 31 Aug 1916 Frontbestand reports:

C Class
    354 Albatros C.III
    220 L.V.G. C.II
    202 Rumpler C.I
    183 Aviatik C.I
    143 Albatros C.I
    65 Albatros C.V
    37 L.F.G. Roland C.II
    27 L.V.G. C.IV
    16 Ago C.I
    13 L.F.G. Roland C.IIa
    a few Alb C.VI, LVG C.I, DFW C.I, AEG C.I

D and E class
    64 Fokker E.III
    25 Fokker E.IV
    20 Halberstadt D.III
    17 Pfalz E.II
    16 Fokker D.II
    11 Pfalz E.I
    10 Fokker D.I
    7 Fokker D.III
    5 Halberstadt D.II
    5 Fokker E.II
    a few Fokker D.IV, Fokker E.I, Pfalz E.IV, and maybe the prototype Alb D.I and D.II

G class
    16 A.E.G. G.III
    7 Rumpler G.II
    4 A.E.G. G.II
    1 Gotha G.I

This is what it is doing with all of mine Dave.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _bode-helmuth.jpg  

Mission 12 AAR posted.
    All my photos duplicated (in random order) at the bottom of my post.

Thumbs up

Finished mine this morning & for once had no problems with the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Oh, and for the Germans, we have plane-counts from the 31 Aug 1916 Frontbestand reports...
    Thanks for that Daryl - very helpful. I will copy that into the CYM campaign thread

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    This is what it is doing with all of mine Dave...
    Holy doppelgangers Rob !
    I went through using the insert image button rather than the image management on the Go Advanced edit - maybe that made the difference..?

"He is wise who watches"

Daryl, your count lists for plane use are really useful - thanks for them. Any chance you might have a similar list for the RFC?

Daryl, thanks for these lists of French and German planes in use. I have a few of these in the works right now.

Daryl, thanks for these lists of French and German planes in use. I have a few of these in the works right now.
    Ditto!

These lists are awesome, Daryl - fantastic for match-making!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Daryl, your count lists for plane use are really useful - thanks for them. Any chance you might have a similar list for the RFC?
    Alas, no. It's a project I'd like to get to some day, but it's going to take a lot of research. The Frontbestand data is easily digested, and for the French I used French Aircraft of the First World War to fill out a spreadsheet (see below), but for the RFC there is no easily digestible record (at least as far as I know).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrEsc.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	282116

I've posted the Butchers Bill but it's duplicated all the photos again.

Daryl this is fantastic information, thanks for posting it.

This Mess will be closed in a few days time & a new one will be opened

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    This Mess will be closed in a few days time & a new one will be opened
    Cheers to all look forward to flying with you in the future.

This Mess is closing - see you all in the sticky CYM Mess for a pint or two !

"He is wise who watches"

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Similar Missions

1. OTT Daring Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 02-19-2020, 07:01
  2. Sticky: OTT Daring Young Men (DYM) Campaign Rules
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-16-2018, 03:06
  3. Daring Woman saves a Plane.
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-06-2017, 11:30
  4. What goes on in the mess, stays in the mess.......
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 02:34
  5. KoTA 7B The Daring Rescue.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 11:51