Ares Games
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mess of The Daring Young Men !

Give Yon my best wishes and I hope all goes well, I can recommend the whisky cure, it doesn't help the illness but it sure tastes good.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Cheers guys - we are just hoping there is no last minute cancellation for Yon's op. Fingers crossed. As for me, well I'm not one for G & T Rob / Baz, but more like Jamesons I'll give that my best shot - cough cough
    Hope all goes well, Mike.

As for the whiskey cure, remember you need a hat. Put the hat at the end of the bed. Go to bed. Drink whiskey until you see two hats. Stay in bed until you see one hat. Then you should be as right as rain.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post

As for the whiskey cure, remember you need a hat. Put the hat at the end of the bed. Go to bed. Drink whiskey until you see two hats. Stay in bed until you see one hat. Then you should be as right as rain.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Right Baz, it's Gin for Kyte and Port for Bligh, and may the best man win!

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Then put on hat if it is raining.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post

See you on the Dark Side......

Hahahaha nice one guys - particularly like the hat cure

Update: All went according to plan with fixing Yon's hip - she is now officially a Hippie Poor thing is suffering the recovery pains right now but, as they say, no pain, no gain. She sends her heartfelt thanks for all of the good wishes and hopes to be hopping around again in the very near future.

As for me - the Whiskey must have worked wonders - no it definitely had nothing to do with anti - biotics or anti-aircraft guns or whatever - definitely the Jamesons. Voice not quite back to normal yet, which some might argue is a blessing in disguise, but the rest is sorting itself out nicely.

Chat again soon, meantime have fun all

Mike

She'll be hopping around tomorrow if the physio has their way Mike - glad all went well.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    She'll be hopping around tomorrow if the physio has their way Mike - glad all went well.
    Yes, Physio-terrorists are merciless!

You'll soon be needing evasive manoeuvres again................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Good to hear Yon is recovering from her op successfully Mike. I send her a virtual bunch of flowers to aid recovery.
    As far as you are concerned,I am glad that the Jameson raid went off so well. Maybe I should have tried that at Prague.
    All the best, Rob.

Hope things continue in the upwards direction Mike for you and Yon. Jamesons...if it doesn't kill you it will cure you!

Morning all - AM1 had a good sleep and is feeling much brighter. Thanks for all of the messages Virtual flowers smell wonderful Rob Physio- terrorists currently in action

On another, also positive, note - I've now received a bunch of BSG and WWI models from Keith - that did a lot to brighten up the scenery too

Laters all. Might even get back to the subject of OTT DYM soon

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Morning all - AM1 had a good sleep and is feeling much brighter. Thanks for all of the messages Virtual flowers smell wonderful Rob Physio- terrorists currently in action

On another, also positive, note - I've now received a bunch of BSG and WWI models from Keith - that did a lot to brighten up the scenery too

Laters all. Might even get back to the subject of OTT DYM soon
    Glad things are generally going well. Cheers

Glad to hear things are looking up Mike. My WW1 planes also arrived from Keith today.
    Rob.

Finally got mission 6 and the associated AAR posted. And Skafloc has reserved the post for mission 8 already, I see. Yes, I know he's way early, but it really only highlights how behind I am on this.

Well, hey, that leaves me more excuses to go play some more.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Finally got mission 6 and the associated AAR posted. And Skafloc has reserved the post for mission 8 already, I see. Yes, I know he's way early, but it really only highlights how behind I am on this.

You behind.... I just played out mission 5 Saturday! Have to get this written up soon so I can paint up a couple of new planes for mission 6. Neil has 8 reserved? I hope to be up to date by the end of the month.

OK, AM1 back is in the hangar and making good progress. Extra duties make flying a little difficult but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hope to complete mission whatever is next as soon as Bovington is done and dusted. Sorry, not reading AARs until mine posted at least. But I shall catch up and am really looking forward to doing so

Later

Mike

I now have a floor in my new games room and am hoping to be able to start mission 5 in about two weeks time. You chaps have nothing to worry about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7799.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	271143

Name:	IMG_7800.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	271145

Name:	IMG_7801.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	271147

Name:	IMG_7802.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	271148

Rob.

Looking good, Rob

No rush, Mike.
    I think the summer has us all falling behind.

As of today.Yesterday we rehung the doors after removing a few mm from the bottoms to get over the new flooring Just the Table and background to do now, plus a trip to Ikea next week for under table storage.

Name:	IMG_7803.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	271407

Name:	IMG_7804.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	271408

The table will fit into the space where the chest of drawers is at present. Five feet from door to wall and 3ft 6 out towards the window. A good two mat size.

Name:	IMG_7805.jpg 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	271409

The chest is destined to hold the scenery pieces.

Hopefully be back in the fray by the end of next week.

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 07-11-2019 at 05:33.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post

I still have to play 4,5,6 and 7. So not as far behind as I. Needed to put something up to see how big the pics are. Plus my computer is terminal, so everything saved to external hard drive. Might have to post mission soon to ensure all is not lost.

Signed, Mr Optimistic.

Hi Neil.
    We will soldier on together then. Or should that be airman along together?
    It was your superb games room that gave me the idea of commandeering the dining room for my own.
    rob.

There was an excellent vid on YouTube about a guy, America I think, who built a folding table that went into a surround on the wall. So when not in use folded away out of sight. I'll have a search for a link.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Hi Neil.
    We will soldier on together then. Or should that be airman along together?
    It was your superb games room that gave me the idea of commandeering the dining room for my own.
    rob.

As of today.Yesterday we rehung the doors after removing a few mm from the bottoms to get over the new flooring Just the Table and background to do now, plus a trip to Ikea next week for under table storage.

Name:	IMG_7803.jpg 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	271407

Name:	IMG_7804.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	271408

The table will fit into the space where the chest of drawers is at present. Five feet from door to wall and 3ft 6 out towards the window. A good two mat size.

Name:	IMG_7805.jpg 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	271409

The chest is destined to hold the scenery pieces.

Hopefully be back in the fray by the end of next week.

Rob.
    Snazzy Would that be the Fray Bentos you are holding back from ?

Recommend with a bit of Branston ( Not Richard I might add)

Wont have it in the house. It's banned.

Neil
    Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post

I am with Neil on this. I had a very bad experience with Branston and a banana at College Paul. Never got over it. Even the smell of it makes me airsick.

Rob.

Yep FB is banned.

"Black Day in July"

Although Mission 7 is dated February 1916, the title of a Gordon Lightfoot song from 1968 sums up my take of the mission ....
    Gonna be a tough one to write up.

Scenario 7 is turning out to be a marathon for me-two days running the scenario, and it's still not finished. Spoiler: ugly for the Germans, AAMGs have turned out to be a major b***ch, but they still *just might* be able to pull off a win.

Falling badly behind here guys, but I shall catch up

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    "Black Day in July"

Although Mission 7 is dated February 1916, the title of a Gordon Lightfoot song from 1968 sums up my take of the mission ....
    Gonna be a tough one to write up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPXL3iEVnCM or perhaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsSXM6zvExk

Just to clarify, I was simply referring to the actual title, not the subject matter.

Sorry Uncle, with mission four taking off tomorrow and two of my solo pilots either Hors de combat or even worse, could you please draft in for me John Dawes aka Jack to plug the gap in my rosta.

Thanks Rob.

Sorry Uncle, with mission four taking off tomorrow and two of my solo pilots either Hors de combat or even worse, could you please draft in for me John Dawes aka Jack to plug the gap in my rosta.

Thanks Rob.
    You've flown mission 4 Rob - so I hope you're talking about mission 5 - Adler Tag Team.. ?
    I can add JD but I have to tell you we already have a John (Jack) Dawe in my flight ! Let me know what you want to do via PM please (nearly missed this).
    You currently have Maren, Bumble & Jessop available (Stones is grounded; Wellard wounded)

"He is wise who watches"

Sorry yes mission five Dave. Better give me Able Cane then.
    Rob.

Hoping to get at least 1 mission in before we head off to Canada.

Neil

The horse has returned to the barn for more flogging....

I am going to use Dave's suggestion for the bombing in Sam's Mission 9

The bomb shooting forward has never set well with me either but 'them's the rules', though I'd happily improve on them with a minor change.

Maybe if you left the straight or stall arrow of the 'release' manoeuvre in place instead of removing it at the end of the movement phase then on the next manoeuvre move the plane and put the bomb card on the arrow of the 'release' manoeuvre; then on the next manoeuvre play the bomb cards as given in the rules. Not perfect still but stops the bombs shooting ahead & it would look and feel better ?

So something like this:
    1. declare bombing;
    2. manoeuvre plane & leave manoeuvre card in place;
    3. manoeuvre plane & place bomb card on manoeuvre card of previous phase;
    4. manoeuvre plane & place a card and manoeuvre bomb card to target if at level 2.
    5. If above Alt level 2 - place another manoeuvre card for bomb card as required for altitude in use (and maybe mess about with that mechanic to achieve a parabolic drop ?!)

As to adjusting targets etc for altitudes - perhaps making red rings around the red dot would suffice - small centre dot for highest altitude, biggest ring for the lowest to attain a direct hit ?

No time to even look yet Sam, sorry. Mission 8 is all set up and ready to go. But Yon and I are out of the office for a week now - off to sail on the river Severn - oops, don't tell Tim

Shall tackle Mission 9 as soon as eight is done and dusted.

Chau for now - have fun all.

Mike

Waiting to read Sumptonian's (and maybe Shadow Dragon's) AARs until I can run my own. Don't want to be spoiled by others on the one I designed.

Smile

With my daughter Jennifer-Anne arriving from Qld next week for a visit I will not be able to fly 9 or 10 until end of month.
    Still getting to grips with 9 but have a couple of ideas floating around the grey matter.

Roger that Baz, have fun !

"He is wise who watches"

For the first mission I made my own balloons, but I have seen a 3D printed barrage balloon that has these dimensions 1/144 = 125x53x50 mm, this is about 20% smaller than the ones I made, I wonder if anyone can tell me how they compare to the WofW balloons?
    Thanks

The WoW ones measure approx 170x70x70mm to the tips of the 'wings' for want of a better word John, the envelope is about 55mm at its widest. However, they came in different sizes -
    The Type R was the largest of four sizes that had become standard by the end of the Great War : Type P at 750m3, Type P2 at 820m3 , Type M2 at 930m3 and Type R at 1,000m3 so the measurements you have found may be for a smaller balloon type.
    I cannot verify any of the above data but at least it shows you there were different sizes.

If it helps the National Museum of the US Air Force in Dayton give the dimensions of their Type R as:
    Gas capacity: 32,200 cu. ft.
    Length: 92 ft.
    Diameter: 32 ft.

The WoW balloons are shown as M / AE800 types so not the biggest
    (and what measurements did they use to base their model on?)

"The RNAS Kite Balloon Training Manual, 1917, gives the dimensions of a Drachen as 79.2 ft x 22.4 ft, and a Caquot M as 82 ft x 26 ft 7in extending to 40 ft 8in over the stabilizers".
    "...the Caquot originally came in two sizes L and M but by the time the balloon was being used operationally there were 4 sizes P, P2, M2 and R and the need to achieve greater altitudes with more kit etc had resulted in increases in size M2 was bigger than M. I believe that the original L and M types were used for training.. "
    From the Great War Forum

Not sure I helped much !
    Last edited by flash; 10-11-2019 at 01:59.

"He is wise who watches"

Dave you are a mine of information, thanks. These guys do an O scale one, I'll have a look and see how that compares sizewize with the wow one.
    Another question, someone in the UK sells a Drachen kit, do you know who. I looked at the one made in the US but the postage was as much as the kit.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Another question, someone in the UK sells a Drachen kit, do you know who. I looked at the one made in the US but the postage was as much as the kit.
    Cheers
    http://www.redeagleminiatures.co.uk/balloons.html

These are the chaps!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

There you go John !
    I guess you were looking at the AIM Drachen before ? Here's how they come out:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...vation-Balloon
    Even with the cost it might still be cheaper than an official model !

"He is wise who watches"

Those winch lorries look cool. Might partake of a couple.

They also do an AA truck. One of which I converted into a searchlight truck.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Thanks Tim - yes they were the guys.

There you go John !
    I guess you were looking at the AIM Drachen before ? Here's how they come out:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...vation-Balloon
    Even with the cost it might still be cheaper than an official model !
    Thanks Dave yes this was the one I fancied but postage was just too much for my budget at the time. Mind you since then I seem to have become a bit obsesed with small aeroplanes. I'm sure I can control it, but just not yet.

Almost finished my run of scenario 10, but now I have a dilemma-finish it, or head to Congress of Gamers for the day.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. OTT Daring Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 02-19-2020, 07:01
  2. Sticky: OTT Daring Young Men (DYM) Campaign Rules
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-16-2018, 03:06
  3. Daring Woman saves a Plane.
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-06-2017, 11:30
  4. What goes on in the mess, stays in the mess.......
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 02:34
  5. KoTA 7B The Daring Rescue.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 11:51