Ares Games
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mess of The Daring Young Men !

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    Gentlemen,

It is with great sadness for me to announce that I am going to have to withdraw from the DYM Campaign due to health reasons. Recently I was diagnosed with gallstones, possible liver problems, and possible colon problems, turns out I have colon cancer. On top of all that I was also diagnosed with acid reflux disorder.

I will be on here keeping in touch with everyone and reading the AARs.
    That is terrible news Dale.
    My thoughts & Prayers will be with you.
    Please do keep us informed of your progress.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    To me those cards are not quite right, based on someones very early stab at making up arcs for a movable gun yet apparently accepted as fact ! The 'red dot' isn't centred on the gunner and may not even be centred on the peg, depending on how you've set the model up.
    I'm not sure of the origin of the original, or, how the rear arc is translated but if every other model can fire over the tail (and the BE2 could - I've seen pictures) then why is there such a huge a split arc ?! If it's because of separate side positions to the rear of the observers cockpit then the respective arcs should at least be able to fire alongside the fuselage & out to the wingtip shouldn't it ?
    The small front arcs do make sense due to the restricted los through the wires etc but it doesn't take note that there was a forward arc over the prop at targets above (according to McCudden).

A lot will depend on the set up I suppose - I know which one I'll be going with ..!

How's this for a gunners eye view !

So pay yer money and take your choice, if I had the skills I'd draw one up for you... Large hint to anyone who can !

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...2304-BE2c-card
    Hi Dave! I have 2 x BE 2's one with the observer armed with a Lewis & that uses the standard wide angle rear arc
    The other has a Left wing/fuselarge mounted Lewis for the pilot with an arc like the Bristol Scout (a la the BE in "Wings") & the rear arc for the Observer.
    All fire 3 times before reloading.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 01-10-2019 at 15:12.

Dale, so sorry to hear your news. Hopes and prayers heading your way.

I worked with a guy that had colon cancer ~20 years ago. He's still here and working 100% so there is hope to a good outcome.

I'm sorry to hear this, Dale! Wishing you strength and a full (and speedy) recovery.

Definitely prayers and hope Dale! Miracles can happen, I am re humbled every day, keep on course and climb!

Hi Dale,

Tough news to process mate, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Keep fighting the battles you have to fight, the tabletop front will be there when skies are sunnier.

Cheers,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    Gentlemen,

It is with great sadness for me to announce that I am going to have to withdraw from the DYM Campaign due to health reasons. Recently I was diagnosed with gallstones, possible liver problems, and possible colon problems, turns out I have colon cancer. On top of all that I was also diagnosed with acid reflux disorder.

I will be on here keeping in touch with everyone and reading the AARs.
    Oh, no! I seriously hope things end up ok, eventually.

Really sad to hear this Dale. Like the others my prayers go with you.
    Having said that, my Gran had Colon cancer when she was 55 and lived a full life into her mid 80s.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Thanks guys for the encouraging words and prayers. I've heard from several people here who have had colon cancer and survived it. I'll be keeping an eye on the business going on here.

Dave, I printed off the DYM Rules and noticed this:

Morale:
    All aircraft will actively engage until they are:
    a. Within 3 of destruction, or,
    b. Within 5 of destruction if on fire, or,
    c. The pilot’s wounded on A deck 5 or B deck 3 (includes those with strong constitution) or,
    d. The engine is damaged,

Does that infer it's a Not So Strong Constitution?

That takes away most of the value of this skill.

Strong Constitution:
    This ace ignores the effects of the first crewman hit special damage on himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Dave, I printed off the DYM Rules and noticed this:

Morale:
    All aircraft will actively engage until they are:
    a. Within 3 of destruction, or,
    b. Within 5 of destruction if on fire, or,
    c. The pilot’s wounded on A deck 5 or B deck 3 (includes those with strong constitution) or,
    d. The engine is damaged,

Does that infer it's a Not So Strong Constitution?

That takes away most of the value of this skill.

Strong Constitution:
    This ace ignores the effects of the first crewman hit special damage on himself.
    I would have thought Strong Constitution should negate this RTB on 5 or 3 wounding.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I would have thought Strong Constitution should negate this RTB on 5 or 3 wounding.
    Thats how I read it. You don't get the wound penalties, leaving for home, not being able to shoot on steep maneuvers and 1 extra card to fix a jam. Second wound still takes you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Thats how I read it. You don't get the wound penalties, leaving for home, not being able to shoot on steep maneuvers and 1 extra card to fix a jam. Second wound still takes you out.
    Response in the campaign thread

"He is wise who watches"

Just in case anyone was wondering I have asked that the OTT feed into 'Recent Posts' be stopped, again, hopefully that will de-clutter that function a little. It appears that has now been done.
    Historically it was disconnected by popular demand when we first started as it was overwhelming the feed with banter !
    They know where to find us

"He is wise who watches"

Default Here's to you chaps !

Just wanted to say how impressed I've been by all your hard work on the AAR's chaps - titanic battles in the air, some awesome scenics, pics and story lines and we've only just started. Well done all, your 'Uncles' are very proud of your efforts !
    Under a week to go until the next BRF - hopefully the absent Eagles will soon make their presence felt...?

"He is wise who watches"

Mission 2 is cleared to go - I will be away this weekend but will keep a watching brief - if you have to introduce new boys into your roster, keep a note & let me know when I get back Monday.

"He is wise who watches"

Mission 2 not quite ready to go, but the dastardly Gotha has done it's dirty deed and I'm out of the pilot's cockpit for a few days. To be continued. Laters all

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OTT DYM 2 Intro 1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	262279 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OTT DYM 2 Intro 2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	272.2 KB 
ID:	262280

Away for the weekend attending Beachhead 2019 so cannot provide any services but will have a watching brief.

"He is wise who watches"

Played Mission Two this morning & hope to do the AAR over the weekend!
    Mutters "Bloody fast German 2 seaters & damn slow British ones!"

Away for the weekend attending Beachhead 2019 Have completed Mission 2 but not yet written the AAR (A complete disaster for the entente ) Ah well, at least it reflects the period only too well.

Looking forward to reading the AARs already posted, but shall wait until I have at least written mine. Have fun all - I'm certainly going to

Mission 2 set up and ready to go.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Almost ready to run mission 2 here, as well. Just one more 3-D printing project I have to finish before I do.
    Last edited by zenlizard; 02-15-2019 at 14:34.

Mine hopefully this weekend.
    Rob.

I ran mine on Tuesday but we moved house on Thursday, it's total chaos at the moment and I don't know where my notes have gone, expect they will turn up and if Mrs V stops cracking the whip I might have a spare minute to write it up.

Of course I'm not holding my breath that she does stop with the whip, but we'd better gloss over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I ran mine on Tuesday but we moved house on Thursday, it's total chaos at the moment and I don't know where my notes have gone...
    I feel your pain John, in the throes of a house move myself My kit is currently 110miles away at my daughters house !

"He is wise who watches"

My pain starts in April. As soon as we get back from Prague the knock out the kitchen block up two doors and build on a day room. hell and high water, how will I get April and May's games done!
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I feel your pain John, in the throes of a house move myself My kit is currently 110miles away at my daughters house !
    I think I would be getting the shakes if my figures and now planes were so far away.

To keep my things safe during the move I transferred them into the campervan which we keep in a barn about 20 min away, took 6 trips to take them there and the same to bring them back, all under one roof now.

Found the notes and the camera so starting on the report, did about 10 Min work on it before I fell asleep. I'm sure humping boxes about and decorating used to be easier than it is now!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    ..... I'm sure humping boxes about and decorating used to be easier than it is now!!!!!
    Tell me about it, I was thinking the same thing yesterday !

"He is wise who watches"

You'll have the night to catch up. Who needs sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    My pain starts in April. As soon as we get back from Prague the knock out the kitchen block up two doors and build on a day room. hell and high water, how will I get April and May's games done!
    Rob.

Unfortunately Neil I will be sans gaming table until the new Kitchen is up and running.
    The up side is I will have the extension to use as my painting/ modelling/ and storage studio with all the light I need for my shot eyes.
    Rob.

Dave any chance you could add 'WIN' in the DYM Missions thread next to my mission 1 please?

Cheers in advance Neil.

Sorted mate

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Dave any chance you could add 'WIN' in the DYM Missions thread next to my mission 1 please?

Cheers in advance Neil.
    Who's this young lady Win Neil, and does she serve drinks in the Mess?
    Kyte.

You mean Min, not Win. And she serves in the other mess.

Well that's a fine mess you have gotten me into.
    Kyte.

Smile

Played Mission 3 today!
    What can I say? Gun Jambs galore, Smoke, fire, wounds. Oh did I mention Gun Jambs? Oh Yes lots of gun jambs!

Should get the AAR posted tomorrow.

How frustrating ! Look forward to seeing it Baz. Looks like I won't be catching up until April.

"He is wise who watches"

My problem is the opposite to yours Dave to get all done before Prague. including the April mission.
    After that my Games room will be closed until the building works are completed at the end of June.
    Rob.

I had hoped to do mine this weekend but just got back from a business trip and am knackered.

Next week, maybe ....

Played Miss 2 but forgot the write up so will have to wait till I get back home from Gib /Spain next week. French rookie took a bullet for his troubles though so no 2 will have to step up. Thats the way the croissent crumbles

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Users Country Flag

Name
    Roy
    Sorties Flown

Hello all.

I'm just managing to get back into the swing of life and things and spotted this solo/forum campaign. Although in my case that should read to finally start playing with the aeroplane models I started to buy in 2018.

Is it still possible to join in with this campaign?

No problem if it isn't.

Roy

HI Roy drop old Flash a pm. He's the organiser. Be good to have another on board, German or Allies?

Neil

Judging by the Avatar I think we are in trouble chaps.
    Kyte.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Users Country Flag

Name
    Roy
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the replies. I will do.

If I was able to join in I was hoping to keep things simple for myself and play as RFC.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RoyWilliamson View Post

If I was able to join in I was hoping to keep things simple for myself and play as RFC.
    Welcome to the ranks of the RFC Roy. We wont be "Fokker Fodder" forever!

Welcome to the ranks of the RFC Roy. We wont be "Fokker Fodder" forever!
    But while you are, we Hun will certainly take advantage ...

Welcome to the fray, Roy, from across the pond (and continent) in Portland, Oregon.

Hello all.

I'm just managing to get back into the swing of life and things and spotted this solo/forum campaign. Although in my case that should read to finally start playing with the aeroplane models I started to buy in 2018.

Is it still possible to join in with this campaign?

No problem if it isn't.

Roy
    Great to hear from you again Roy and I'm very pleased to hear things are going well for you. It would be excellent to have you flying along side and I see from your avatar we are going to be close wingmen.

Of course you can Roy. You are free to choose whichever side you wish. Heaven knows we could use the help right now.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Roy
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the replies. Flash and myself have been in touch - and I've explained that I don't actually own any models, yet, for (early) 1916 [all of mine are centred on October+ 1916] so I'm in need of a Shapeways order to sort myself out. Once ready I'll be back in touch.

Hello John [Vagabond]. Yes, my previous avatar was a Roland C.II [got a couple of them for my later 1916 collection] but I'm not very knowledgeable on the German side of WW1 when it would come to narrating an AAR. Still, flying games of chicken in a Bullet might be fun!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. OTT Daring Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 02-19-2020, 07:01
  2. Sticky: OTT Daring Young Men (DYM) Campaign Rules
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-16-2018, 03:06
  3. Daring Woman saves a Plane.
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-06-2017, 11:30
  4. What goes on in the mess, stays in the mess.......
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 02:34
  5. KoTA 7B The Daring Rescue.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 11:51