Ares Games

Thread: Suggestions on glue.

Question Suggestions on glue.

So this isn’t really about Wings per se but I figured if anyone would have a good idea... I’ve been painting Test of Honour figues (for a while now] and have been having problems with the little arms and legs staying on. Never had a problem with Bolt Action in the past and Warlord did confirm the old Wargames Foundry stuff uses a different compound. I also, after the initial problems, I bought a new tube of CA gel glue in case the other stuff was more than a year old. Bit better but still issues.

So I am curious if anyone uses an actual plastic glue that sets up quickly like CA? The normal Testors stuff would take way to long I think.

For gluing plastics, I always use a Plastics glue - Polystyrene Cement, or its equivalent.

Superglue/CA is next to useless for models which will be handled; although it sets instantly, it forms a crystalline layer between the two plastic parts, and, if knocked, bumped or twisted across the join line will sheer across the joint and fracture.

A Polystyrene Cement "welds" the plastic together, forming a far stronger "permanent" bond. It does not set instantly, but the end result is far more play-proof than CA.

Don't allow a layer of paint, or varnish, to cover the joint surface - to form a "weld" the surfaces must be clean and dry before applying the glue.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

For plastics I usually use Testors liquid glue - the kind that comes in a bottle with a brush applicator - it dries pretty quickly and 'melts' the bond nicely. The brush applicator allows you a measure of control, and the capillary action of the 'thin' glue is pretty nice...

All the best,
    Matt

Thanks guys. I was hoping there was a quick setting plastics glue someone used. Boy is this going to be fun putting on arms and weapons now.

Joe, put a dab of plastic cement on both surfaces and allow them to soften a few minutes before adding a little more and holding the parts together. This preps the surfaces and gives you a tighter bond.

Great idea Ken, thanks.

Similar Missions

1. Which Glue to use?
    By Ken at Sunrise in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-17-2017, 06:22
  2. Glue for Acrylics
    By Ken at Sunrise in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-11-2016, 14:23
  3. Best glue for planes?
    By idle twitch in forum WGF: General Discussions