Ares Games

Thread: R.I.P. WW II Pilot George H.W. Bush

Default R.I.P. WW II Pilot George H.W. Bush

Former President of the United States George H.W. Bush died earlier today at the age of 94. He was a torpedo bomber pilot in World War II who flew 58 missions against the Japanese, including being shot down once, and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. In addition to this he was elected a U.S. Congressman, appointed Director of the CIA, Ambassador to the United Nations, Ambassador to the People's Republic of China, served eight years as Vice President of the United States, and was the country's 41st President.
    While I did not always agree with his politics, it cannot be argued that he was a man without high moral integrity and a sense of duty to his country.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bush as Navy pilot.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	258869

Rest In Peace 41, thank you for your service.

"He is wise who watches"

He was the man who agreed to unite Germany again.

Thank you very much, Sir.

He was part of the so called "greatest generation". The US comrades know what I mean.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

A President worthy of the name , unlike the one you poor guys in the States have now.

A real patriot who united the 2 Germanys when he could have kept them separate.
    94 good years spent on this little planet.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Another hero flies on.

One of the silent generation heroes. We will miss him.

I was also moved by this news. Rest in Peace, mr. President from the land on the other side.

Just saw this! RIP, George H.W. Although his presidency was just before my time, he was an inspiration to me.

Rest well, old flier. We were honored by your service, and dearly need more like you today.

Here's a cartoon honoring him; he is reunited with his wife, Barbara, who passed away earlier this year, and their daughter Robin, who died of leukemia in 1953, at age 3.

Name:	George H.W.Bush 1924-2018 RIP.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	258886

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

That's a great cartoon, Karl. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with the sentiments... a great man who spent his life in service to his nation. I can think of no greater calling.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    ...it cannot be argued that he was a man without high moral integrity and a sense of duty to his country.
    I think you meant WITH Bill.

And a safe flight home to someone who actually knew what patriotism meant and lived it. Something, like integrity, sorely lacking in our “leaders” for the last couple of decades. RIP.

A great man.

Remember he was 20 when he was shot down and the only one to survive. He was picked up by a sub as he was drifting toward the island he just bombed. I saw that cartoon this morning while the man who drew it was giving his thoughts of Pres. Bush. All that remembered him said he was such a humble person. RIP good Sir

RIP Sir. Blue skies.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    I think you meant WITH Bill.

And a safe flight home to someone who actually knew what patriotism meant and lived it. Something, like integrity, sorely lacking in our “leaders” for the last couple of decades. RIP.
    Joe, No the double negative in the sentence construction means I believe him to have been a man of high moral integrity. Even those who opposed him deeply respected his integrity and service to country.
    B.

Exclamation

The World needs more of his ilk right now as Politicians the world over are at the lowest ebb I have ever seen!

May he rest in peace.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

R.I.P Mr. President

Deepest condolences to the Bush family. He was a hero and servant to his country that not even bone spurs would have stopped.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Name:	B34EC244-CCF8-4A2C-8793-AC1B05F992FD.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	258930

Any pilot who had to bail out over the Pacific after completing his attack run deserves some recognition for duty bravely done. The rare photo of a future President being rescued at sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post

Name:	B34EC244-CCF8-4A2C-8793-AC1B05F992FD.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	258930

Any pilot who had to bail out over the Pacific after completing his attack run deserves some recognition for duty bravely done. The rare photo of a future President being rescued at sea.
    Bruce --great photo I had not seen that one before -- Pres. Bush loved to skydive and did it every year on this birthday -- his last jump on his 90th birthday -- tough old bird!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/george-h-...-90th-birthday

RIP. to your ex president and war hero chaps.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Almost met him once................

He was a guest at a plush hotel out in the country, where I was part of a Viking display team promoting the book launch of Bernard Cornwell's latest Dark Ages novel.

One of my friends and I set out to get his autograph; we got within a few feet, and saw him clearly at his dining table............unfortunately, several obviously-armed guards intercepted us.
    They seemed to take exception to helmeted, maille-clad, axe-carrying psychopaths getting anywhere near the ex-Pres!

RIP to another brave ex-serviceman
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

The country pays tribute to a great American patriot. 41 will lie in state in the rotunda of the U.S. Capitol building until Wednesday morning when a full state funeral will be given him.

The "President's Own" plays "Ruffles and Flourishes" and "Hail to the Chief" during a 21 gun salute upon 41's arrival at the Capitol building:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PaBDV87aIs
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 12-03-2018 at 19:31.

Nice little article from the UK Daily Mail. The site isn’t the greatest but if you can get it to load take a listen to the letter to his children at the end. Moving to say the least.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-H-W-Bush.html

For just the letter, (that way you can use Reader View on the above link) try this one: Video link:https://video.foxnews.com/v/5974336893001/
    Last edited by BwanaJoe; 12-06-2018 at 19:04.

21 Plane flyover/missing man formation at today’s funeral.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KW-S7sruwIc

A couple more:

Name:	HwBush.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	303.9 KB 
ID:	259050

Name:	HwBush2.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	346.9 KB 
ID:	259051
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. A day out at Fort George
    By Gaz67 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-20-2014, 03:53
  2. Happy St. George's Day.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 18:30
  3. WoW/WoG Tournament in St. George, UT
    By rrodrick in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0