Walter J. Boyne
    ISBN:
    978-1-640303171
    Category:
    History
    Format:
    Hardback
    Summary:
    This book, written by the former Director of the National Air and Space Museum Walter Boyne, is a large almost "coffee table" size book about the airplanes that have defined aviation history. After a brief introduction the book is divided into historical chapters: The Early Years 1903-1913; World War I 1914-1918; The Golden Age of Flight 1919-1938; World War II 1939-1945; The Jet Age 1946 -Present. Each chapter consists of an examination of a number of iconic planes from that period. Each plane has text discussing its importance to aviation history, period photographs of the plane, at least one beautiful full color artist's rendering of the plane in action, and an information box with the key technical specifications for the plane (wingspan, length, height, empty weight, gross weight, top speed, service ceiling, range, engine/horsepower, and armament.
    The Early Years chapter discusses the Wright flight attempts, the Bleriot XI, and the Curtiss Golden Flyer. The chapter on World War I features the Fokker D VII, Curtiss JN-4, Nieuport 17, Gotha G.V, Sopwith Camel F.1, Fokker Dr I Triplane, SPAD VII & SPAD XIII, and the De Haviland DH-4.
    The Golden Age of flight profiles the Polikarpov I, Martin B-10, Ford Tri-Motor, Ryan NYP Spirit of St. Louis, Lockheed Vega, Hawker Hart, Piper J-3 Cub, Beech Staggerwing, Gee Bee Super Sportster R-1, and the Martin Model 130 China Clipper.
    World War II features the Douglas DC-47, Lockheed P-38 Lightning, Focke Wulf Fw 190, Boeing B-29 Superfortress, Junkers Ju 87 Stuka, Supermarine Spitfire, Boeing B-17, Grumman F4F Wildcat, Messerschmidt Bf 109, Douglas SBD Dauntless, North American B-25 Mitchell, Curtis P-40 Warhawk (yea !), Consolidated B-24 Liberator, Mitshubishi A6M Zero, Grumman F6F Hellcat, Yakoviev Yak-9, Chance Voight F4U Corsair, North American P-51 Mustang, and the Messerschmidt Me 262.
    The Jet Age chapter includes the Grumman EA-6B Prowler, Boeing 747, McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II, Lockheed F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter, Mikoyan-Guryevich MiG-15, North American F-86 Sabre, Douglas A-4 Skyhawk, Lockheed U-2, Boeing B-52 Stratofortress, Mikoyan-Guryevich MiG-21, Boeing 707, Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, McDonnell-Douglas F-15 Eagle, General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon, and the Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit.
    This is a fun and beautifully illustrated book that provides a good general overview of aviation history. It may not be a good book for those highly versed in aviation history as it is a more general approach. From my perspective the book is worth the purchase price just for the lavish illustrations alone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails classic planes 9.jpg   classic planes 8.jpg   classic planes 7.jpg   classic planes 6.jpg   classic planes 5.jpg  

classic planes 4.jpg   classic planes 3.jpg   classic planes 1.jpg   classic planes 2.jpg  

Similar Missions

1. Fw 190 at Classic Fighters in NZ
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-20-2016, 07:08
  2. Classic British Aircraft
    By Naharaht in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2014, 01:48
  3. Classic dogfight in Charlottesville
    By WWIflyingace in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6