Ares Games

Thread: Cancon 2019

Default Cancon 2019

Just got confirmation that the WGF participation game has made it in.

There is only one 6x4 table available though, and there won't be a WGS game as well.

See https://cgs.asn.au/cancon/participation/ which will be updated shortly.

SAT 26 JAN - MON 28 JAN
    Set up on FRI 25 JAN

Location - EPIC(Exhibition Park in Canberra) WGF free of charge participation game will be in the Budawang pavilion as usual.

See http://www.exhibitionparkincanberra....ng/finding-us/

Name:  B-Pav-Booked-Traders-2-9-18.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  82.4 KB

After the con, it has become the custom to adjourn to the Tak Kee Roast Inn in Chinatown, D1ckson, to partake of various Szechuan and Cantonese dishes.

The house specialties are roast pork and roast duck, and if you order those, you can't go wrong. For the more adventurous,they have crispy jellyfish and century eggs dishes - yes, the traditional 100yr old eggs.

Prices are very reasonable.

Name:  IMG_20181225_141053.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  151.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181225_141100.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  140.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181225_141029.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  152.7 KB

Christmas lunch there consisting of two plates of Chinese broccoli in oyster sauce, two large plates of fried rice, half a roast duck, some crispy shredded honey beef, chilli baby octopus, roast pork, Peking duck, combination chow mein, plus green tea and soft drinks, cost $127 for 6 people. Pictures show just some of the half consumed dishes, we were too busy eating to go the full foodie.

Anyway, if you wish to do the Tak Kee bit, please let me know on the day so we can book.

Thumbs up

Great work Zoe!
    Hope to be able to make it for one day at least.

I can recommend the restaurant having enjoyed their food on a number of occasions.

Hi Zoe,

Put me down for the feed too. Just booked my flights and I will get there after lunch Saturday.

Thumbs up

Great news Gary!
    Hope to see you there.

Unhappy

Sad News!
    Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this year.
    I was hoping to make it for at least one day but arrangements have fallen through.
    I hope everyone who attends has a great time & we can attract some "new blood" to the game.
    I believe Evan from Rival Skies Games will be there & should have some Duel Packs to sell.

Very sorry to hear that Barry. Perhaps I might see you at WinterCon.

Best wishes for this weekend. I hope that everything will go well and that you will have many participants and exciting games.

All the best for the weekend, hope you all have a really good time as I'm sure you will.
    I've only just picked up on the first post, 260 tables is an incredible event, I'm amazed and a little envious.

May I also add my best wishes for a successful show again this year Zoe.
    I look forward to seeing the after action pictures but go easy on those Jellyfish.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hope you have a cracking good time, Zoe and friends!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Very sorry to hear that Barry. Perhaps I might see you at WinterCon.
    Thanks Gary.
    That should be AOK.(Says he with fingers crossed!)

Have a ball guys Hope to see some pics after

I shall be there! Too long between flights...

I strongly advise anyone attending Cancon to stock up on cold drinks and ice. The forecast is for 40C+ and the air conditioning in the pavilions struggles with anything over 35C. The nearest large supermarket is in ****son, nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Thanks Gary.
    That should be AOK.(Says he with fingers crossed!)
    Your presence is missed, you know? Hopefully we'll see you in the snow.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Your presence is missed, you know? Hopefully we'll see you in the snow.
    Thanks Zoe!
    At least the Air Con can warm us then.

Well, Day #1 done. A pleasure it was to meet Baxter and Andrew. Thanks also, of course, to Zoe!

I'll put up an AAR shortly.

I'll add pictures to your AAR, including those from the last game of the day. 9 planes..Fokker D.VI and D.VII, Pfalz D.VIII, Fokker Dr.I, French Spad XII, Thai Spad XIII, Camel F1 and NF, SE5a...

Can't wait to see this Zoe.
    A great show just when we have nothing going on in the UK to excite the imagination.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well I do not like blowing my own trumpet but .... I am going to blow my own trumpet

I think I won a game and it has been a long time coming .... Downed Andrew (Zoe's lad) and Zoe herself to win this recon scenario by ONE point! Condolences to Muerto (Paul) who died in his Albatros Scout shielding me from Zoe.

Name:  20190128_114238.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  225.4 KB

Name:  20190128_114840.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  206.0 KB

Name:  20190128_115636.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  220.5 KB

Name:  20190128_121245.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  223.2 KB

Not only that when I arrived at Cancon after lunch on day one I went to the WoG table via the second hand stall and scored these two beauties for $10 each! The last pic is of me flying them off into the sunset and thinking about WinterCon in July.

Name:  20190129_151410.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  211.0 KB

Name:  20190129_151446.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  180.5 KB

Seriously though, CanCon was buzzing this year with many people stopping by to admire the great WoG Banner and also Zoe's games on her great 6 by 4 mat. I heard several folk asking where to buy the models from and we told them of some online stores for ordering. It was really good to put faces to names and join in the fun. The meal on Saturday night was excellent too. Well done to Zoe, Andrew and Paul for this years games.

Great pics, Gary
    Thanks for sharing and 'giving us a taste'.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 01-29-2019 at 06:18.

I just wish that some from the US and Europe, or equally far away places, could join us one year.

We're just lucky that Baxter is able to make it from South Australia, it's an expensive flight (2 hours, 3 with a Melbourne or Sydney stopover) and accommodation isn't as cheap as it might be.

The tyranny of distance means we only get a few from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane too. We try to make all visitors welcome, be they regulars like Baxter, occasional interstate visitors, or once-only players who are doing an Australian trip as part of their bucket list.

Hint hint.

Every year, the Canberra Games Society (less than a hundred people) runs both Cancon in January, and Wintercon in July. Cancon has upwards of a thousand players of miniatures games, hundreds more in board games, card games, cosplayers etc and we now have to use all three pavilions of Exhibition Park in Canberra, with Wintercon about half to a third of that. The finances are eyewatering considering how small the CGS is.

Cancon recently celebrated its 40th anniversary. Only now are the original organisers starting to hand over responsibility to younger ones.

Wings of War/Glory participation games open to the public to play for free have been going continuously since 2012.

Thank you for the good photographs, Gary, and congratulations on your victory and finding those bargain planes!

Score!

after lunch on day one I went to the WoG table via the second hand stall and scored these two beauties for $10 each! The last pic is of me flying them off into the sunset and thinking about WinterCon in July.

Name:  20190129_151410.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  211.0 KB

Name:  20190129_151446.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  180.5 KB
    Very well done, that man!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thumbs up

Well I do not like blowing my own trumpet but .... I am going to blow my own trumpet

I think I won a game and it has been a long time coming .... Downed Andrew (Zoe's lad) and Zoe herself to win this recon scenario by ONE point! Condolences to Muerto (Paul) who died in his Albatros Scout shielding me from Zoe.

Not only that when I arrived at Cancon after lunch on day one I went to the WoG table via the second hand stall and scored these two beauties for $10 each! The last pic is of me flying them off into the sunset and thinking about WinterCon in July.

Seriously though, CanCon was buzzing this year with many people stopping by to admire the great WoG Banner and also Zoe's games on her great 6 by 4 mat. I heard several folk asking where to buy the models from and we told them of some online stores for ordering. It was really good to put faces to names and join in the fun. The meal on Saturday night was excellent too. Well done to Zoe, Andrew and Paul for this years games.
    Well done & congratulations Gary!
    Really sorry to have missed all the fun but hopefully will make up for it at Wintercon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    I just wish that some from the US and Europe, or equally far away places, could join us one year.

The tyranny of distance means we only get a few from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane too. We try to make all visitors welcome, be they regulars like Baxter, occasional interstate visitors, or once-only players who are doing an Australian trip as part of their bucket list.

Hint hint.
    Australia is still on my Bucket List.
    Been there for over 50 years.

I am still hoping to get a chance to come via work - a couple of guys from my group are heading there for 6 weeks next month.
    Unfortunately I was deemed 'too important' for the upcoming conversion in Florida this time ...

I'm informed we cracked the 10,000 visitor mark, in addition to having well over 1,000 players.

That's phenomenal, well done to you all.

Similar Missions

1. Pražský Con 2019
    By Dan-Sam in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-03-2020, 12:14
  2. National Doncaster 2019
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-22-2019, 03:38
  3. Vapnartak 2019
    By Strangely Brown in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 66