Ares Games

Thread: Sequence of play?

Shannedam1

Default Sequence of play?

Can I find somewhere a summary of the WoG WW2 rules in a sequence of play?

Start of the game you place 2 maneuver cards. Then everyone plays their first card, then see if any shots can be taken. Then slide your second card over to the first slot and everyone chooses their next maneuver card. Then after everyone has chosen their 2nd card everyone moves again. So you are always one card off. This gives you the faster response to other planes.

I don't know if there is a summary sheet, maybe in the Files section.

Thomas

Shannedam1

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Start of the game you place 2 maneuver cards. Then everyone plays their first card, then see if any shots can be taken. Then slide your second card over to the first slot and everyone chooses their next maneuver card. Then after everyone has chosen their 2nd card everyone moves again. So you are always one card off. This gives you the faster response to other planes.

I don't know if there is a summary sheet, maybe in the Files section.

Thomas

So. I hope I get it right:

After the second card slides to slot 1, then a new maneuver card is chosen and is put to slot 2, then the card in slot 1 is played...and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannedam1 View Post
    So. I hope I get it right:

After the second card slides to slot 1, then a new maneuver card is chosen and is put to slot 2, then the card in slot 1 is played...and so on.
    Thats it. Play one, plot one. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Thats it. Play one, plot one. Repeat.
    I look at the WWII sequence sort-of like this, but use the words: Plan, Move, Shoot.
    The first turn is Plan Two, Move (the first card), Shoot (then slide the 2nd card to position 1).
    The second turn is: Plan (the next card), Move (the new 1st card), Shoot (if there are viable targets. Slide the 2nd card over).
    Repeat second turn sequence to the end of the game.

This is the basic game, without Rookie and wounded pilots. With these two options, the sequence gets a little complicated, but not much.

Any turn in which a pilot is wounded (or if using the Rookie rule), the planning sequence changes to reflect that initiative is lost to a wounded (or Rookie) pilot.

Beginning immediately that a pilot indicates that they are wounded by damage (everyone else resolves any damage, as well), they slide over their 2nd card, Plan their next card, and Move. Everyone else then slides their 2nd card over, Plans their next card (New 2nd Card), and Moves. All Shooting is resolved. If Rookies are being used, this is the turn sequence from the start.

If you notice, this sequence allows the enemy to be one Plan in advance, as the wounded/Rookie pilot has revealed their next move before the others have to plan. If you are using the alternate Veteran and Expert pilot rules, this is staggered, allowing all the less experienced pilots to move before the more experienced pilots plan their next moves. In its most complicated form:

Rookies/wounded Pilots (slide 2nd card over) Plan (next card) and Move [These guys end up planning blind as to what is going to happen in the current turn]
    Standard Pilots (slide 2nd card over) Plan (next card) and Move [These guys are less in the dark, but not by much]
    Veteran Pilots (slide 2nd card over) Plan (next card) and Move [Veterans are a bit more in the know]
    Expert Pilots (slide 2nd card over) Plan (next card) and Move [Aces now have the full picture, and can hopefully anticipate the next move more clearly]
    Everyone Shoots (Itchy Trigger Finger Aces fire first, resolved damage, then everyone else Shoots)
    Repeat...

If I have this wrong, somebody jump in and re-align my world picture, please.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-21-2018 at 16:33.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I look at the WWII sequence sort-of like this, but use the words: Plan, Move, Shoot.
    The first turn is Plan Two, Move (the first card), Shoot (then slide the 2nd card to position 1).
    The second turn is: Plan (the next card), Move (the new 1st card), Shoot (if there are viable targets. Slide the 2nd card over).
    Repeat second turn sequence to the end of the game.

This is the basic game, without Rookie and wounded pilots. With these two options, the sequence gets a little complicated, but not much.

Any turn in which a pilot is wounded (or if using the Rookie rule), the planning sequence changes to reflect that initiative is lost to a wounded (or Rookie) pilot.

Beginning immediately that a pilot indicates that they are wounded by damage (everyone else resolves any damage, as well), they slide over their 2nd card, Plan their next card, and Move. Everyone else then slides their 2nd card over, Plans their next card (New 2nd Card), and Moves. All Shooting is resolved. If Rookies are being used, this is the turn sequence from the start.

If you notice, this sequence allows the enemy to be one Plan in advance, as the wounded/Rookie pilot has revealed their next move before the others have to plan. If you are using the alternate Veteran and Expert pilot rules, this is staggered, allowing all the less experienced pilots to move before the more experienced pilots plan their next moves. In its most complicated form:

Rookies/wounded Pilots (slide 2nd card over) Plan (next card) and Move [These guys end up planning blind as to what is going to happen in the current turn]
    Standard Pilots (slide 2nd card over) Plan (next card) and Move [These guys are less in the dark, but not by much]
    Veteran Pilots (slide 2nd card over) Plan (next card) and Move [Veterans are a bit more in the know]
    Expert Pilots (slide 2nd card over) Plan (next card) and Move [Aces now have the full picture, and can hopefully anticipate the next move more clearly]
    Everyone Shoots (Itchy Trigger Finger Aces fire first, resolved damage, then everyone else Shoots)
    Repeat...

If I have this wrong, somebody jump in and re-align my world picture, please.
    Spot on. But if I could say the rookie rule really doesn't need to be added. If you have a new player, pilot, they are going to fly like a rookie. I've noticed this time and time again.
    I guess you could use it for experienced pilots to make them less deadly.

Thomas

Spot on. But if I could say the rookie rule really doesn't need to be added. If you have a new player, pilot, they are going to fly like a rookie. I've noticed this time and time again.
    I guess you could use it for experienced pilots to make them less deadly.

Thomas
    Novice pilots.

Very unpredictable, and therefore dangerous. I don't use the advanced "Plan, Move" with novice pilots, but I'd like to think I wouldn't get shot down as much if I did.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Default Correct me if I'm wrong

Then slide your second card over to the first slot and everyone chooses their next maneuver card. Then after everyone has chosen their 2nd card everyone moves again. So you are always one card off. This gives you the faster response to other planes.

Thomas
    If i read the rules correctly, it means you are always 2 cards off. The one that is in current position 1 and the one y you just used to move.

As per rules in page 7 of the rulebook:

The maneuver card used for
    movement can not be used in the
    planning phase of the next turn. As
    a reminder, it is left faceup on the first space of the console,
    and the card that was previously placed on that space is put
    back in the maneuver deck."

As per rules in page 7 of the rulebook:[/QUOTE]

There is a fundamental difference between the basic and standard/advanced rules:

basic rules:
    -You start the game by placing/planning the very first card on field 2, field 1 remains empty.
    -The currently to be played card is the one on field 2. It cannot be used for the next planning phase as after moving it is placed on field 1 on the console
    -Then plan the next card (on field 2) and in the following movement phase it will be used right away.

standard rules:
    -You start the game by planning 2 cards on field 1 and 2
    -The currently to be played card is the one on field 1 and after moving, it can indeed be used for the next planning phase.
    - Move card on field 2 to field 1, then plan the next card (on field 2) which in contrast to the basic rules will NOT YET be used in the following movement phase.

Therefore the basic rules allow a more reactive game whereas the standard/advanced rules force you to plan ahead.

Similar Missions

1. Sequence of play?
    By Shannedam1 in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2018, 04:29
  2. Turn Sequence - Assistance Required
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-11-2016, 00:10
  3. Game Turn Sequence Reference Card (WWI)
    By Beaunanza in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-13-2014, 22:07
  4. Bombing sequence WWI
    By greenbull in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 15:02
  5. Le Prier Rocket sequence
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 03:37