Ares Games

Thread: Do other players allow respawning of planes?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

Default Do other players allow respawning of planes?

In my campaign games we allow limited respawning of planes. This means that when you are shot down, after taking pilot damage as per KotA campaign rules you must miss one turn then are allowed to restart (respawn) a new plane (or same plane) on their defensive edge of the table at least one ruler length from any enemy plane.

We usually set a limit to the number of respawns (if any) at the start of the mission. Sometimes this is based on the time for playing the mission, for example we may stipulate no respawning after the first hour of play... otherwise the mission can drag and we like to play 2-3 different missions each campaign session

What do other players do with restarting/respawning planes?

Not normally, but some missions I have setup to allow this. Most of our games only last about 30 minutes tops, so it's not really and issue.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Desaix
    Sorties Flown

Not my cup of tea...

I've not done any re-spawing yet, but I can see how it would come in handy especialy if the mission involved facing waves of attackers. Would probably be good in the "Fokker Scourge" mission that was mentioned on one of the other threads, where you needed loads of attackers, but were limited for actual minis.

With the way my games go, it would be me thats doing all the Respawning and my mate would be finishing each game with a new set of Aces for his squadron!!!

I can see reasons why you might allow respawns, however, at this point I'm more interested in the fast pace of the games... if there is a reason that we feel we need more planes, or are teaching someone the rules, we just restart the scenario. I'll have to think about it some more, I guess... until then no respawns.

As we played timed missions for the most part, yes, we do allow 'respawning'. We stipulate a 2 turn sit out, and then coming in on the defensive edge (and not within gun range of an enemy plane).

As our table is fairly long, it takes about 3-4 turns to get down the table after the respawn if you are attacking an objective. However, if you are out with that pilot (i.e. the respawned pilot isn't an ace, and has to buy a new machine). Any kills by that pilot go towards that pilot, not you as the player per se.

It wouldn't be much fun to have a 1.5-2 hour block and sit out for most of it due to some rotten luck.

What we do depends very much on the senario. Some times we build in a new planes arrival to coinside with a crash. Usually though extra aircraft are diced for rather like reserve forces arriving on a wargame table. As long as both sides feel that they are on a par with each other it can add an extra dimension to the game.
    Sometimes we even dice for the suprise, ala out of the Sun element. How close is the new plane before it is spotted. This is handled by an impartial adjudicator i.e. me.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Site: New backgrounds for the WWII players
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 09:10
  2. WGS: Some Love for the Dawn of War players
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 21:11