Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do You Want a Strategy Hand Book?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Could definitely use one.

15 83.33%
  • No, would never use one.

3 16.67%

Thread: Strategy Hand Book

Default Strategy Hand Book

Does any one think that a Strategy Hand Book would be good?

Post what you would want.
    Last edited by Future Pilot; 11-28-2018 at 08:30. Reason: Spelling error

I thought some existed already and I think strategy handbooks for each aircraft used to be a feature of computer combat sims. Anything done here would be good for the game and new players.

great idea!! and frankly, with the dearth of new minis, anything wings of glory would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    This one taught me lots of the finer points:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Aircraft-lt-lt
    Thanks Wayne, it's only an overview but glad it has been of help.
    Strategy wise nothing beats experience and that's what Dicta Boelke and its variants was born from so that could form the basis of what people are looking for even if not all of it necessarily applies to the game.

A lot of this also relies on how people play the game - if you start at each end of the table it's harder as you end up with the joust, if you play a scenario or use simple mechanics to create advantageous starting positions then some of the dicta is taken care of and it's then down to flying and the damage deck to resolve the outcome.

My advice would be - always turn into the attack if you can; don't turn your back if you can avoid it; keep an eye on all your opponents, not just the one you're taking on, as well as your wingmen, help them if you can.
    Know your enemy - know their speed, know their capabilities, eg can you nullify their sharp turns by turning the other way ?
    Know when to break off and keep mission focus.
    Last edited by flash; 11-19-2018 at 04:13.

"He is wise who watches"

This hand book, will probably be for WW2 Wings of Glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Pilot View Post
    This hand book, will probably be for WW2 Wings of Glory.
    That wasn't clear from the title but Dicta Boelke still applies to WW2 Dan - evolved versions still apply today.
    It doesn't change my advice either and there's no reason there can't be a strategy book for all versions including Tripe-Odds come to that !

"He is wise who watches"

You could also include formation tactics.

Might be a good idea as last Thursday during a B o B WGS game one of our players remarked that all we seem to do is straights and Immelmans.

It would be nice to have a book of strategy and tactics.

However, new players won't have read it, and don't usually have any strategy/tactics in mind. Besides their fortuitous mistakes that put experienced pilots in disadvantageous positions, new pilots are notoriously unpredictable, and therefore very dangerous.

I think this goes back to a comment once made by a Russian officer observing NATO maneuvers, back in the Cold War era. Basically, the comment was that reading the tactics doctorine of NATO forces was a waste of time, as none of the NATO commanders appear to have read it, or if they did, didn't follow it.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

How do you think I should organize the book? I am open to any of your opinions.
    -Daniel Germain

If any of you have any ideas of any tactics you want to make sure get included just PM me.
    As Adolf Galland once said.
    "Superior technical achievements - used correctly both strategically and tactically - can beat any quantity numerically many times stronger yet technically inferior."

It would take a fool to turn down such an offer Daniel.
    I am a fairly experienced pilot, but even old dogs can learn the new tricks. The secret is to take on board the ones which benefit your own style of play and which you feel comfortable with. Let us all put down our combined wisdom for you to pick over,and then you can choose what to include in Dicta Dan.
    All I ask is that someone tips me the wink on how to prevent catching fire, without taking out all the fire cards.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Future Pilot View Post
    How do you think I should organize the book? I am open to any of your opinions.
    -Daniel Germain

general aircraft tactics (ie dicta boelke)
    general wings of glory tactics
    specific mini tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It would take a fool to turn down such an offer Daniel.
    I am a fairly experienced pilot, but even old dogs can learn the new tricks. The secret is to take on board the ones which benefit your own style of play and which you feel comfortable with. Let us all put down our combined wisdom for you to pick over,and then you can choose what to include in Dicta Dan.
    All I ask is that someone tips me the wink on how to prevent catching fire, without taking out all the fire cards.

Rob.

id settle on some solid advice on how to dodge the ubiquitous boom cards!!!

After working on it a bit, I thought that it might be easier to do a series of AARs, and use those to show. The best strategies to use. What do you think?

Sounds good to me.

Put them in the official AAR section and grab another gong.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Good idea !
    Definitely REP worthy
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Similar Missions

1. Strategy Advice
    By RJames in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-22-2018, 20:31
  2. is there a marketing strategy for wings of glory WW!?
    By okko in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-28-2016, 19:23
  3. Score at the second hand book shop!!
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-21-2016, 14:09
  4. Altitude Strategy
    By RJames in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-21-2015, 12:39
  5. LGS Fighter Combat; Strategy and Tactics